Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2019, 07:44 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
RB Components Bug Screens

I purchased RB Components Bug Screens for the rear doors, slider and front windows. Rear door install is done, went on pretty easily. I'll try to get the slider install done tonight, then post some pics. So far, I'm pretty happy with the fit and quality.

Links to products.
Slider: https://rbcomponents.com/products/pa...g-door-bug-net
Rear doors: https://rbcomponents.com/products/07...r-door-bug-net
Front windows: https://rbcomponents.com/products/fa...-passengerside
nateallen80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:11 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Here are some pics of the rear screen. It’s raining here, otherwise I’d be installing the slider screen tonight. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1724.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	528.0 KB
ID:	343841Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1725.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	828.5 KB
ID:	343842Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1727.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	447.8 KB
ID:	343843Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1728.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	848.1 KB
ID:	343844
Old 06-20-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateallen80 View Post
I purchased RB Components Bug Screens for the rear doors, slider and front windows. Rear door install is done, went on pretty easily. I'll try to get the slider install done tonight, then post some pics. So far, I'm pretty happy with the fit and quality.

Links to products.
Slider: https://rbcomponents.com/products/p1...g-door-bug-net
Rear doors: https://rbcomponents.com/products/07...r-door-bug-net
Front windows: https://rbcomponents.com/products/fa...-passengerside
NATEALLEN80 - Wow, those are nicely done. Wow2, those are very expensive. My AI has both rear & slider screens from factory. But I like the front window set, may get a set. I just wondering why they make the rear with magnetic pass-thru, yet the front slider is only zippered. My slider-type sliding door screen is a bit of a pain for constant in/out. A magnetic like the rear would be a nice optional feature. And would not mind having one for convenience rather than the factory sliding screen
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:09 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Alex AVI - you’re right, they were pricey, but my wife and I both didn’t want to have to deal with the zippers every time we went in and out. Our 9 and 11 year olds would have really disliked them as well. The slider is magnetic just like the rear. The alternative was the setup from the Canadian company that costs $800 per opening plus installation, so I really feel like this was the way to go (cheaper). The rear is set up for a center row situation but will be great for getting gear from the back. I installed a cargo net at that back to keep ‘stuff’ from falling out when I opened the door as well.

Tonight I installed the slider screen, which was much more tricky than the rear as access to the left side weatherstripping is really tough. I think airstream installed a door slide stop before the factory stop which makes for about 8”-10” less access to the left side (looking from the outside in). Took about 2x as long to install the side as the rear, but I’m just as happy with the result.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1729.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	537.2 KB
ID:	343957Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1730.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	567.0 KB
ID:	343958Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1734.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	540.3 KB
ID:	343959Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1736.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	631.9 KB
ID:	343961Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1737.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	517.0 KB
ID:	343962
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1735.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	553.7 KB
ID:	343960  
Old 06-20-2019, 08:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Alex AVI - you’re right, they were pricey, but my wife and I both didn’t want to have to deal with the zippers every time we went in and out. Our 9 and 11 year olds would have really disliked them as well. The slider is magnetic just like the rear. The alternative was the setup from the Canadian company that costs $800 per opening plus installation, so I really feel like this was the way to go (cheaper). The rear is set up for a center row situation but will be great for getting gear from the back. I installed a cargo net at that back to keep ‘stuff’ from falling out when I opened the door as well.

Tonight I installed the slider screen, which was much more tricky than the rear as access to the left side weatherstripping is really tough. I think airstream installed a door slide stop before the factory stop which makes for about 8”-10” less access to the left side (looking from the outside in). Took about 2x as long to install the side as the rear, but I’m just as happy with the result.
NATEALLEN80 - Thank you for the latest slider pics. Looks great. For some reason, the website gave me the impression that it was zipper-only access and not magnetic. We have 4 yr old and 2 yr old grandkids and having the slider magnetic makes a big diff for convenience getting in/out. Now I gotta convince wife of price She does not seem to mind the factory AI accordion sliding screen. I always thought nice to look at but PITA to keep opening & closing, especially with the kiddos.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:45 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
NATEALLEN80 - Thank you for the latest slider pics. Looks great. For some reason, the website gave me the impression that it was zipper-only access and not magnetic. We have 4 yr old and 2 yr old grandkids and having the slider magnetic makes a big diff for convenience getting in/out. Now I gotta convince wife of price She does not seem to mind the factory AI accordion sliding screen. I always thought nice to look at but PITA to keep opening & closing, especially with the kiddos.
Now, I just got it installed and haven't really had a chance to fully test the real-life opening and closing convenience, but I think it will take a bit of practice to open it the right way depending on whether you're coming or going, as it's designed for one side to be on the outside and another to be on the inside. In trying it out tonight, it will still close if you push or pull to get through in both directions, but the fabric will kind of twist. When it did this, it still closed pretty completely, so i don't think it would impact performance. The version that James from the Fit RV installed and that I was referring to above as from the Canadian company had magnets that butted up together so you could enter and exit whichever way you wanted and it would close up the same way. I really think this will be just fine to use whether we remember to keep the side that wants to be on the outside on the outside, or not.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
it's designed for one side to be on the outside and another to be on the inside.

the Canadian company had magnets that butted up together so you could enter and exit whichever way you wanted and it would close up the same way.
NATEALLEN80 - Yeah, I agree. This is pricey enough, I know I won't want the Canadian one. I don't see how the outside flap would end up being on the inside and vice-versa unless you really intentionally did it and fabric got really twisted up. Because the flap overlap is pretty wide. But I envision that even if that were to happen occassionally, the magnets & weight would still be meeting towards center line pretty close. Then a quick swipe of hands from top to bottom resets it's position. I actually like having the overlap better. The 'butt-up' closure reminds me of the "As seen on TV Version" :lol. Has to do with the all-black vs. yours with the contrasting color on the overlaps.