Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2015, 08:41 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And, you know, guys, one persons opinion is just that.....people can take it or leave it, others can chime in with suggestions that may improve whatever the complaint is.

One persons opinion does not preclude others from offering theirs.

If there is a workaround for someone very handy, that is great, and something to be shared.

It's a balance, and what is important determined by each owner.

I, personally, am of the get-out-there-and-enjoy mindset, rather than the strive-for-perfection mindset.....which can detract from enjoyment, in my opinion.

It's all good.

Maggie
Old 07-09-2015, 12:24 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Right on Maggie! I'm out here enjoying mine. In Montana heading to Glacier then on to Lake Louise and Jasper. 😀

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:00 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Maggie, I agree, don't worry, be happy

My biggest problem to date has been with my Mercedes engine on a warranty issue that MB was trying to deny coverage. With some coaxing MBz saw the light and did the right thing.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:17 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The true fix to the air conditioning problem in the Sprinter is a ducted system similar to the one that is used in my Tahoe. One engine driven compressor and two evaporators does the whole thing. Obviously for a box the size of the Sprinter, one with a higher capacity compressor. Maybe they could utilize the optional rear air that comes with Sprinter to accomplish this.
There is no way that a one ton unit is going to cool the back of the Sprinter. And cracking one of the rear windows does not help. We just drove through Georgia and Florida today in 95 degree heat and the rear air was severely overtaxed. In other words the rear of the RV was like an oven. I did discover a blast of hot air coming out of the grill over the microwave. It was more than just the exhaust off the refrigerator. Sealed the grill and that helped but not sure where the outside air is coming in. Maybe the same place the mice get in.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:35 PM   #45
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
One of the big problems with the Interstate's rooftop AC is the lack of insulation in the van. The floor is well-insulated, and the roof is sort-of insulated, but those big windows all around let in beaucoup heat; and near as I can tell, the rear doors are not insulated at all. As for the walls below the side windows, who knows how well— or even if— they're insulated.

I'm giving serious consideration to applying a low-emissivity film to the side and rear windows of my Interstate, on the outside of the glass. That's the only way short of disassembling the interior of the van to cover the entire glazed surface with the film, since the framed openings inside are a lot smaller than the size of the glass panels. Too bad I can't legally put the film on the windshield or front roll-up windows…

I've used low-e film on windows before, on an office building we retrofitted when I was still working for a living. In direct sunlight the low-e film on the outside of the glass literally got too hot to touch (first-degree burns in fifteen seconds or less!), while the inside surface of the same pane of glass was relatively cool to the touch. It did an excellent job of blocking heat transfer through the glass.

With less heat coming into the van through the windows, the rooftop AC should have an easier time keeping up.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:02 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I thought about the film also. If it's transparent, why would it be illegal on the W/S? Also didn't know you could use it on the outside.

Also thought about using some of that thin plastic insulation with reflective foil on the side glass between the curtains and the glass. I think someone on the forum mentioned doing that. The problem would be the lack of light.

I insulated the rear door when I had the plastic panels off to isolate them from the metal to stop the squeaking. The walls appear to be insulated but a couple of inches of fiberglass doesn't provide much R value.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:46 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
This has become the grandaddy of all sideways threads, so let me note again regarding insulation:

When hubster and I were installing our rear and side camera system, we discovered that Airstream had not installed any insulation in the cab roof above the customized Interstate liner. We actually found something akin to R13 fiberglass in some of the wall areas, although it was a bit squashed. But nothing in the cab roof, just bare metal.

We installed a layer of Dynamat followed by a layer of radiant barrier before replacing the cab liner (scope creep). BIG improvement in both noise dampening and thermal control. My last trip was to east Texas two weeks ago. It was 94 degrees outside, full blasting sun in a cloudless sky, with ultra-high humidity. I noticed that the A/C was working hard, but for the first time in such conditions, I was comfortable in the cab. No "complaints".

Obviously this one fix won't resolve the rest of the body-related issues, but my conclusion is that it was a little project well worth doing. No question.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:26 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
To the "just enjoy" proponents:

Never once have I seen a poster criticize any one of you for DECLINING to engage in workarounds that are not important to you personally.

Why, then, would you criticize those who DO seek out and engage in workarounds?

Isn't common reciprocal courtesy called for in that scenario?

When someone attempts to shut down another poster with declaratory judgments, there is more than the simple expression of opinion in play. Accusing a noise question-asker of having a "glass half empty focus" begins to enter the realm of attempted domination. That would be on parity with one of us DIYers asking you a confrontational question along the lines of, "WHY are you not engaging in this improvement? Do you not care what condition your Interstate is in?"

But you'll notice that no DIYer does that kind of thing. We will continue to know better.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:05 AM   #49

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I thought about the film also. If it's transparent, why would it be illegal on the W/S?
Some states may allow it; Louisiana doesn't, except for a narrow band above the level of the inside rear-view mirror, above the normal line of sight, in other words the area that would be covered by the visors if you fold them down.

The law doesn't specifically address low-e films, just window films of any type. No films in the driver's field of view anywhere ahead of the driver's and passenger's B-pillars— in other words, front door windows and windshield. A cop acquaintance of mine says that the idea is that any film can obstruct the driver's view, and can obstruct law enforcement's view of the driver as well.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:56 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Does the low-E film give the glass a slight brassy look?

Old 07-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #51

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Does the low-E film give the glass a slight brassy look?
Some brands can.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:38 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
To the "just enjoy" proponents:

Never once have I seen a poster criticize any one of you for DECLINING to engage in workarounds that are not important to you personally.

Why, then, would you criticize those who DO seek out and engage in workarounds?

Isn't common reciprocal courtesy called for in that scenario?

When someone attempts to shut down another poster with declaratory judgments, there is more than the simple expression of opinion in play. Accusing a noise question-asker of having a "glass half empty focus" begins to enter the realm of attempted domination. That would be on parity with one of us DIYers asking you a confrontational question along the lines of, "WHY are you not engaging in this improvement? Do you not care what condition your Interstate is in?"

But you'll notice that no DIYer does that kind of thing. We will continue to know better.
It kinda comes down to beating a dead horse.

I think we can all agree that Airstream could do better.

There is no doubt some have had more problems than others, but I don't know of any member of this forum who is not all about solutions to things that break, shoddy work or helpful modifications.

I just don't think it is helpful for former Airstream owners (or others) to come on this board and preach about how THOR should do business. It is THOR's business and they can do it however they feel whether it costs them past, present or future customers.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:12 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I would add to what Ron said......I don't think anyone is putting down those who want workarounds or those that are doing workarounds. Are they?

Even if someone is, others aren't and are generally willing to help.

This seems to be largely a matter of interpretation and may stem from ones approach to life, IB....and your narratives are starting, quite frankly, to sound very personal.

If you don't like what I say, don't read my posts, and feel free to offer your own counter opinion.

There is room for all of us here, and more than one response or approach to any question, and we don't have to agree.

I am not going to get in a bitchfest, and am now out of this thread.

Maggie
Old 07-10-2015, 02:58 PM   #54
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
This has become the grandaddy of all sideways threads, so let me note again regarding insulation:

When hubster and I were installing our rear and side camera system, we discovered that Airstream had not installed any insulation in the cab roof above the customized Interstate liner. We actually found something akin to R13 fiberglass in some of the wall areas, although it was a bit squashed. But nothing in the cab roof, just bare metal.

We installed a layer of Dynamat followed by a layer of radiant barrier before replacing the cab liner (scope creep). BIG improvement in both noise dampening and thermal control. My last trip was to east Texas two weeks ago. It was 94 degrees outside, full blasting sun in a cloudless sky, with ultra-high humidity. I noticed that the A/C was working hard, but for the first time in such conditions, I was comfortable in the cab. No "complaints".

Obviously this one fix won't resolve the rest of the body-related issues, but my conclusion is that it was a little project well worth doing. No question.
That sounds like a really good idea - just looked up Dynamit on Amazon - Wow, that's expensive - do you recall what size you ordered to get the coverage you wanted? I don't want to order any more than I'll need. Also did you go with the Xtreme flavor?
Tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:55 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao View Post
That sounds like a really good idea - just looked up Dynamit on Amazon - Wow, that's expensive - do you recall what size you ordered to get the coverage you wanted? I don't want to order any more than I'll need. Also did you go with the Xtreme flavor?
My husband says that he ordered about 20 square feet. We had some left over with which we lined the inside of the rear wheel wells, whence a lot of road noise originates and which were also just bare metal.

Dynamat is one of those products which is pricey and people seem to grumble about that, but when all is said and done, users don't seem to regret spending the money (according to their reviews). It's not a miracle product and it won't make all your issues disappear, but the apparent lack of buyer's remorse was the criterion my husband used when deciding to try it.

On top of the Dynamat he used what he calls "foil sided foam duct wrap". He may have gotten that locally.

I am going to buy more Dynamat to increase soundproofing in the lower areas of the cab. At the same time, I'm going to have replacement carpet floor liners custom made and they will be a better grade than Airstream's OEM. Our Interstate is 8 years old and the cab's snap-in carpet segments are both very thin (which helps with neither insulation nor soundproofing) and in decline (the polymer backing is crumbling and falling off, making a mess).

However, good old subtropical Houston flooded twenty thousand cars in the month of May, and I couldn't get automotive detailing services right now if my life depended on it. I have to wait awhile until the insurance backlog clears out before approaching someone about replicating the carpet segments, so the rest of that project is on hold, too.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:37 AM   #56
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Thanks for the reply - appreciated.
Yes, if it will do the job then the price will be worth it.

I'll give it a try now that I know about how much to order.
Tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:26 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
IB: You might check Lloyd's mats for a replacement front mat. They're like Dynamat, pricy but very good. They have several options for the type of material for the mat.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:49 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao View Post
Thanks for the reply - appreciated.
Yes, if it will do the job then the price will be worth it.

I'll give it a try now that I know about how much to order.
You are welcome. I had to dash to my job this morning before I finished my thoughts. You are also going to need some kind of decoupage roller tool for this type of project. We couldn't find a good one on short notice and so I had to get a cheapie from Michael's, the big box craft chain. It sorta worked but was not very durable as it was more designed for light-duty scrapbooking and the like.

Here's a pic of my husband at work, remembering that this is a T1N Sprinter cab. He's got the full coverage of Dynamat in place, and the first course of the radiant barrier over top of the lower portion of Dynamat. You can just barely see he's smoothing it with the red decoupage tool in front of him. The silvery stuff with the notches you see above his head is the beginning of the aluminum inner skin. If you look closely you can see bits of Pink Panther sticking out of those notches (what I had previously described as an attempt at R13 insulation). That's where the cab liner interfaces with the rest of the ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-WP_20150215_004.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	242977  
Old 07-14-2015, 05:05 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
IB: You might check Lloyd's mats for a replacement front mat. They're like Dynamat, pricy but very good. They have several options for the type of material for the mat.
Good suggestion but I think this stuff is original to Airstream, not MB, and I haven't yet found any vendor who has anything remotely like it as an off-the-shelf product. Even those vendors who supply Sprinters don't seem to have a good grasp of what is required, as this attached pic suggests. At this point and in the absence of info to the contrary, I'm assuming I'm going to have to hire for a custom job, supplying the original mats to the maker to use as a go-by.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mat_compare.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	242978  
Old 07-14-2015, 08:13 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Back to the original thread subject. Have run into torrential rain several times on this trip and once I saw water dripping out of the rear A/C and just thought it was condensation. But today there was not only water dripping from the A/C but also on the curbside behind the rear locker over the lounge. Guess I'll have to check out the seal around the A/C when I get home.