Old 09-09-2018, 01:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
In urban environments, I agree. It helps to cancel out the background noise.

I'm intrigued by reports that newer fans are quieter. I've a mind to pop over to Holiday World and fire up some roof fans in some of their stock units, to see what they sound like.
I think you'll find it's all in the speed of the fan as to how subjectively quiet they are described to be. Of course, what good is fan that is quiet on lower speeds, but doesn't circulate enough air to keep you comfortable.

Our 10 speed Maxxfan begins to get noisy above a 5-6 setting. Still, if I were stuffy, I'd run it on 10, but we rarely have used it above a 4 or 5. I've always liked squirrel-cage fans, but I guess they are not low-profile to for application in rv roofs. Although, I wish someone would try.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:35 AM   #22
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
$50 from Target or Amazon. Power sources = AC/DC or Rechargeable battery
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	913zm6dN9BL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	322106  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I believe I read about this fan in ‘Tape Op’ (recording magazine I get).
It is very quiet on low but still moves quite a bit of air. It is a little louder on high, but still a LOT quieter than the fantastic fan.
Of course, it would just circulate air- unless placed right by a window/door etc.

According to the tri-metric monitor it takes:
0.1 amp on low
0.3 amp on high

That includes the USB outlet and switch with small LED that I have to turn off the outlet.

They make various sizes. I really got it for my very small studio setup- since with the door closed and all the electronics running it gets pretty warm in there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit:
I see in their specs they say 4watts on high speed.
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:37 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
FWIW, ARV replied to me. Reportedly, they are not pursuing any ventilation equipment enhancements at this time.

Which makes me wonder if the newer off-the-shelf units really are significantly quieter, because customers at ARV's level of expectation would be complaining if their fans were as noisy as ours is.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:55 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
The Cheap RV Living Youtube channel posted a video yesterday on 4 fan options. The OPOLAR Lotus54 referenced is highly reviewed there also. The O2Cool cousin also reviewed and great if you need bigger fan per CRVL
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:24 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Reference measurements for future reference:

Background (no Fantastic running), at sleeping level, head forward: 33.5 dB

Fantastic on lowest speed, at sleeping level, head forward: 50.5 dB

Fantastic on lowest speed, sleeping level, head toward back doors: 46.3 dB (I prefer to sleep with my head at the back doors but ground slope doesn't always allow it).

Fantastic on lowest speed, standing in front of stove, ear level: 59.8 dB

These were measured with a sound meter, not an iPhone, so should have good accuracy.

I can go to a dealer and measure the noise made by fans running in the newer rigs, but a complicating factor might be that all large dealers are located on Houston's major freeways. I'm afraid the background sound level is going to be significantly higher. But nothing ventured, nothing gained.

On my next trip northward, I'm going to take the sound meter with me. I'm kicking myself for not doing it last month. I'd like to measure just how quiet it really gets on our property.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
$50 from Target or Amazon. Power sources = AC/DC or Rechargeable battery
I have that fan and also the battery only or wall adapter version which takes 10 "D" cells. The battery only model puts out a bit more air while on battery or wall adapter than the rechargeable one but I will tell you that you need to be quite close to either one to feel a breeze. If you put it right over your bed you will feel the air moving and yes they are very quiet.

I tried them while working on a new house and they weren't much good for that, a gentle movement of air while sleeping is what they are probably best at.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:24 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Huh - check this out below - a DIYer who put in a Flettner wind-driven vent. I've asked him for dBA measurements on it.

An interesting option, although I'm not sure that it would fit my present ambitions. And once again, the really interesting next-gen products often appear to come out of the UK or Australia. Not sure what's missing from our domestic innovation framework.

https://sprinterdiscovery.com/ventilation/