Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2021, 12:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
San Diego , California
Questions on 4WD of 2021 Interstate 24 GT

I have a 2-wheel drive Interstate 24 GT on order. The expected delivery is around the end of March so I'm looking into switching to 4WD. My dealership said it is possible. But before I pull the trigger, I want to make sure there are no significant disadvantages of 4WD compared to 2WD. Here are my questions:
It will come with autoleveler. Since the chassis will be raised a few inches with 4WD, how does this affect the extension limit of the feet? I have no specs on max extension. I know I can always add lego blocks but that's annoying.
When 4WD is disengaged, does it drive just like 2WD with similar comfort and fuel efficiency?
Any other potential issues?

Another question related to exterior paint - DW wants to change from silver on order to white. It will save ~$1k so that's okay with me. Is there any difference in colors in terms of coating therefore protection of the body?

Many thanks!

Jeff

p.s. we boondock a lot and clearly 4wd is helpful in some situations, so usage is not the question here.
bigben2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Several forum members (myself included) have had problems with the silver finish...on the Airstream parts. Lots of “spiderweb” over time. My unit is a 2013. Hopefully some of those with later units can weigh in. Also, hopefully, Airstream has found a supplier that can provide a correct paint system for the silver.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:41 PM   #3
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Given our experience, similar to that described above by toskeysam, I would highly recommend you avoid the silver finish and get the white finish.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:50 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
San Diego , California
Thanks. That's good to know
bigben2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:47 PM   #5
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
I don’t have 4WD but have one on order (taking delivery before end of month!) and from the research I’ve done the only downside I’ve identified of 4WD is the loss of carrying capacity from the added weight. On a GT not a big deal - carrying capacity on a 4WD GT is about the same as a 2WD GL.

We had a silver 2017 and had no problem with the paint. I like silver the best personally but if you like white get it and save the money! I don’t think the white paint is any less durable. I believe the paint on the van itself is applied by Mercedes and not Airstream - the paint colors (arctic white and iridium silver) are on the Mercedes build your Sprinter website, with arctic white being a standard color and silver being a premium metallic color with a $1035 up charge ($225 less than the Airstream charges).
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:13 AM   #6
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
The lower plastic quarter panels are definitely not original equipment from Mercedes and thus are painted by Airstream or a contractor. Our plastic quarter panels all look like heck when the light hits them and shows off the failing paint. I'm going to have to have all of them repainted at some point in the near future. There are a number of others who have had the same experience. Some out of warranty, like mine, and some still in warranty.

BTW, white will also reflect more of the sun's heat than the silver, so that's another great reason to pick white over the more expensive silver.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote