Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill G View Post
We are absolutely new to RV's, camping, cross-country travel, etc.

Preparing to stock a new Interstate, we would appreciate information about gadgets or equipment that veteran Interstate owners have found to be essential (i.e what bedding, kitchen utensils, bath equipment, are must haves??)

We will anxiously await responses from veteran Interstate travelers.
While the MB 3.0L diesel is rated OK to use 5% biodiesel, my salesman advised to steer clear of it. Also a pair of cotton gloves comes in handy for when you run into a diesel pump that is messy and some of them are. My mpg runs about 19 mpg at 60 mph, 17 mpg at 65 mph, and 16 at 70 mph but we only went 70 cuz we wanted to make it a two day trip. Also since the entire trip was in 100*+ heat, we never shut the engine down once we started out in the morning. Had to keep the cabin cool for the other six psgrs. Also the cabin A/C was intermittent. At the shop now.

The RV does have a propane connection for a gas grill, so if you like to grill but don't want to deal w/ lugging a bag of charcoal (grill takes up enuf room ), there are small grills available.

While this won't be a concern 'til you get to about 8,500 mi, it something to be aware of and that's the diesel req't for DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid or aka Urea). It holds 20 gal and lasts about 10K mi. You get a warning at 8,500 mi and periodically after that. It's readily available at most auto parts stores so not a problem unless you're out in the boonies and run out cuz when it's gone, it won't start anymore. It's explained it the Sprinter manual but we don't always get around to the minutia of those things.

Good luck w/ your new RV.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
While this won't be a concern 'til you get to about 8,500 mi, it something to be aware of and that's the diesel req't for DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid or aka Urea). It holds 20 gal and lasts about 10K mi. You get a warning at 8,500 mi and periodically after that. It's readily available at most auto parts stores so not a problem unless you're out in the boonies and run out cuz when it's gone, it won't start anymore.
Also available at WalMart, under the brand name BlueDEF in a 2.5-gallon container. Wherever you get DEF, make sure it has "ISO 22241" marked on the package.

According to the Sprinter Operator's Manual, for late model Sprinter 3500s with the 3.0L engine sold in the US— mine's a 2011 Sprinter/2012 Interstate— the DEF tank holds 5.8 gallons (22 liters). When it gets low (below 1.5 gallons left), you'll have to add at least 2 gallons for the warning to reset. Rather than 8500 miles, your range before you need to refill is more like 5000 miles, again according to the manual. But, as the saying goes, your mileage may vary. My Interstate has about 4300 miles on it right now, and my next major trip will be about 1000 miles round-trip, so we'll see.

I don't carry spare DEF in my Interstate. I keep a stock at home. When it gives you your first warning, you've got something like sixteen engine starts before the system locks your engine so it won't start, and I have yet to be on a trip where I've started the engine sixteen times from when I left home until I returned home.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:30 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Waldorf , Maryland
I'm a new Interstate owner too (2012). Just wanted to thank everyone. This thread has been enlightening and very helpful!
Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:00 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Have a computer or whatever to locate the nearest Walmart for anything you find that you need. Do not try to take everything because almost anything is available at Walmart or any town.. Have fun, jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Also available at WalMart, under the brand name BlueDEF in a 2.5-gallon container. Wherever you get DEF, make sure it has "ISO 22241" marked on the package.

According to the Sprinter Operator's Manual, for late model Sprinter 3500s with the 3.0L engine sold in the US— mine's a 2011 Sprinter/2012 Interstate— the DEF tank holds 5.8 gallons (22 liters). When it gets low (below 1.5 gallons left), you'll have to add at least 2 gallons for the warning to reset. Rather than 8500 miles, your range before you need to refill is more like 5000 miles, again according to the manual. But, as the saying goes, your mileage may vary. My Interstate has about 4300 miles on it right now, and my next major trip will be about 1000 miles round-trip, so we'll see.

I don't carry spare DEF in my Interstate. I keep a stock at home. When it gives you your first warning, you've got something like sixteen engine starts before the system locks your engine so it won't start, and I have yet to be on a trip where I've started the engine sixteen times from when I left home until I returned home.
I've got a 2010 Sprinter/2011 Airstream and the first message for DEF came on @ ~ 8,500 mi. My book estimates it at about 7,400 mi. It says this means about 1.5 gal left to reserve mark at 0.8 gal (20 engine starts left) at about 8,600 mi or about 1,200 mi to the no more starts.

Got a gallon of Peak DEF at O'Reilly for about $6.00 and this reset the message. Don't know who engineered the DEF fill opening but you will need a funnel w/ about a half inch tip. Had to make one using an empty water bottle and packing tape. Will go ahead and fill when I get it back from service.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote