Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2021, 03:27 PM   #1
old/new member

Austin , Texas
question on IS 19 water tank heaters

The Gray and Fresh water tanks are located under the chassis on the new IS 19s. There are tank heaters on both, which are enabled from the one and only panel switch, it appears. The manual says to turn off the heaters if tanks are empty.

So how can a person keep water available for use in the fresh tank without also have a fair amount of water in the gray tank when the weather is cold? Wouldn’t two switches make a lot more sense, especially considering the selling price?

Please help me understand or point me to an existing thread. Thanks.
preedtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
You make a good point. Clearly the instructions are inconsistent with the design. Not to worry though, the pads are low wattage and won't overheat anything and the heat isn't wasted as it will work its way through the solid components, help heat the other tank and ultimately be included in the heat budget for the entire van. Not sure if that is any consolation to you or not.

Stay warm!
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:45 PM   #3
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
I emailed the manufacturer of my heat pads (Ultraheat) as I needed an additional 3" elbow heater for the gray water drain I added. If you look on their website it says all of the tank pads are thermostatically controlled but the elbow heaters are not. They did affirm that there should be water in each tank before turning the switch on and in my case water in the elbow which is not a problem as the elbow is before the dump valve. My plan, if I need to use the heaters is to put just a bit of water in the gray and black tanks, or maybe even some antifreeze. Like the other Brian says though I bet if the heaters were on and no water it wouldn't cause an issue, it may just be a CYA on the part of the manufacturer.
On my rig it would be very easy to add another switch, the wiring is all right there and goes up the bathroom wet wall, but I don't have an IS so not sure how accessible your wiring is.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:54 PM   #4
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
They actually do recommend separate switching but acknowledge that RV builders choose to use one switch for all. Near the end of the page it says you only need 1/4" of water in the tank, not sure how you can figure that out though. I guess measure the tank and do the math

https://www.ultraheat.com/easy-to-operate
Old 02-20-2021, 05:36 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2020 Interstate 19
Pensacola , Florida
Talking Mac pump/valve warmer

I didn’t winterize this year (Florida res), but came up with a heater idea for the mac pump, tank valves and waste plumbing on drivers (roadside) side underneath van, added short skirt both sides....kept eveything toasty this week (23-27 degrees ). Pic might post screwy......sorry in advance !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B758511B-2088-4723-AB26-0E46D96EFD47.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	389086  
Old 02-21-2021, 06:23 PM   #6
old/new member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerman View Post
I didn’t winterize this year (Florida res), but came up with a heater idea for the mac pump, tank valves and waste plumbing on drivers (roadside) side underneath van, added short skirt both sides....kept eveything toasty this week (23-27 degrees ). Pic might post screwy......sorry in advance !!
Very nice. I assume these are 120 volt lights which require POWER! Florida seems to be one up on Texas this week.
preedtx is offline   Reply With Quote