Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2018, 11:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Question for those of you with the GoalZero Yeti 1000......

It's my understanding from comments here and looking at the specs of the Boulder solar panels that the Yeti's have their own, built-in solar charge controller. For the case of the Yeti 1000 Lithium, can someone tell me what TYPE of solar charge controller is in it (MPPT or PWM)?

Thanks!
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Never mind. I found the answer via the online user manual for the Yeti. Sadly, the charge controller is PWM (page 9 under Tech Specs). This is disappointing....
Old 03-08-2018, 07:09 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
If you get their new Yeti 3000, it comes with MPPT built in. Actually, it's an expansion module. Take a look at the specs in my photo. They mention the Yeti 1000 and 1400 in the list of optimum charge times, so your MPPT preferences are now possible !!

You will notice my photo is different from their webpage photo because it came with the extra solar charging module in the spare slot at the upper right of the unit's front panel. If you order one, make sure it is so equipped.
http://www.goalzero.com/p/509/goal-z...-power-station

Although they say on the website 25 hours to fully charge, that's using just the stock two AC chargers on a 100% depleted battery and no MPPT... and you wouldn't want to fully discharge anyway. Now that they apparently ship with the extra inputs provided in the solar charge expansion module, I bought two additional chargers for a total of four. Option A is plug all four into the four 8mm charge ports with two of them passing through the MPPT controller. Option B is plug all four chargers into one of their combiner cables to Anderson PP and plug that into the MPPT.

The MPPT ports deliver about 72W instead of the other ports providing 62W each. So when all are plugged in through the APP, I get about 278W of charge. That way, I can recharge an 80% depleted battery in about nine hours.

3024Wh X 0.8 = 2419Wh safe capacity / 278W of charge = 8.7 hours
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0230.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	305917   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0229.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	325.7 KB
ID:	305918  

Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
There are quite a few threads, in various sub-forums, which touch on the Goal Zero line:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=VGq...FGFv4S1FdBQ%3D

FYI
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
If you get their new Yeti 3000, it comes with MPPT built in. Actually, it's an expansion module. Take a look at the specs in my photo. They mention the Yeti 1000 and 1400 in the list of optimum charge times, so your MPPT preferences are now possible !!

You will notice my photo is different from their webpage photo because it came with the extra solar charging module in the spare slot at the upper right of the unit's front panel. If you order one, make sure it is so equipped.

Although they say on the website 25 hours to fully charge, that's using just the stock two AC chargers on a 100% depleted battery and no MPPT... and you wouldn't want to fully discharge anyway. Now that they apparently ship with the extra inputs provided in the solar charge expansion module, I bought two additional chargers for a total of four. Option A is plug all four into the four 8mm charge ports with two of them passing through the MPPT controller. Option B is plug all four chargers into one of their combiner cables to Anderson PP and plug that into the MPPT.

The MPPT ports deliver about 72W instead of the other ports providing 62W each. So when all are plugged in through the APP, I get about 278W of charge. That way, I can recharge an 80% depleted battery in about nine hours.

3024Wh X 0.8 = 2419Wh safe capacity / 278W of charge = 8.7 hours
Great info!

I see now what you're talking about for the 3000. The main page for it specifically calls out that the MPPT module is included, but when I look at the 1000 and 1400 close up, that expansion slot it vacant (but it's there!).

Looking further down the page at the accessories, there's the MPPT module....$80. SWEET!!!

http://www.goalzero.com/ecommerce/product.i?pid=510

Old 03-08-2018, 10:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
There are quite a few threads, in various sub-forums, which touch on the Goal Zero line:

FYI
Thanks, but none of them addressed my specific question of the Yeti 1000 Lithium and MPPT.....
Old 03-12-2018, 10:36 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
We have had a Yeti 1000 for a year. It came with a PWM. We purchased the optional MPPT when it became available. The MPPT installed in the 1000 easily, permanently. We've been very happy with the Yeti 1000. We use it separately from the AGM system in the AI. It is an alternative system just as our Boulder 100 portables are an alternative to roof mounts when parked in the shade. Let me end by repeating - we've been very happy with the Yeti 1000.
iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaqstuff View Post
We have had a Yeti 1000 for a year. It came with a PWM. We purchased the optional MPPT when it became available. The MPPT installed in the 1000 easily, permanently. We've been very happy with the Yeti 1000. We use it separately from the AGM system in the AI. It is an alternative system just as our Boulder 100 portables are an alternative to roof mounts when parked in the shade. Let me end by repeating - we've been very happy with the Yeti 1000.
Thanks very much for this. I'm this >< close to pulling the trigger on a Yeti 1000, especially now that you good people have informed me of the availability of the MPPT module, the ability to add a second wall charger, and the recently released info from GoalZero about soon-to-be-released options like allowing chaining with AGMs and charging from the vehicle's 12v source. Hopefully these new features/functions will be compatible with the current version of their products......

EDIT: Just had a chat with GZ tech support. The ability to chain w/ AGMs and charge from 12v will both be compatible with the current versions of the Yeti lithiums.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
Fly

I have been following this thread with interest thinking the Yeti might be a good addition for our limited amount of camping without power hook ups. I would be interested to know your thinking about the trade off plus and minuses for your choice of the 1000 vs the 1400 or even the 3000. The price differences are part of it obviously and there is a weight and size difference as well, but what makes the 1000 the best choice for you if you don’t mind elaborating. Thanks
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
I think you hit the major decision points: price, power, size and weight.
We didn't get it just for the AI, so all four things factored into our decision. I wanted portable so the weight of the 1000 fits our needs. I wanted it small enough to place it on the counter so the wife could blow dry or plug in the coffee pot if trying to save the AGMs. I keep it in my office and have taken it and a lamp to the dining room table when the power failed and the guests gave me the "now what" look.
We never planned to incorporate it into the AI grid. We planned on it being an alternative source for both home and AI. That is why we got two Boulder 100 suitcases to increase our versitility.
So, "alternative source" is the operative words in our case.
As a sole source? Sure, why not. Just understand it charges quicker with solar and it is 12 volt out. BTW, I'm not a fan of the 8mm connectors because they are proprietary in as much as they don't mate up with other solar stuff without conversion cables. GZ has conversion cables to APP, MC4 and SAE. I chose SAE because it fit all our needs.
Hope that helps.
iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by busb2 View Post
Fly

I have been following this thread with interest thinking the Yeti might be a good addition for our limited amount of camping without power hook ups. I would be interested to know your thinking about the trade off plus and minuses for your choice of the 1000 vs the 1400 or even the 3000. The price differences are part of it obviously and there is a weight and size difference as well, but what makes the 1000 the best choice for you if you don’t mind elaborating. Thanks
Good question.

Several things make this my choice:

1 - Price/performance. One very attractive thing for me in this whole voyage of discovery is the flexibility of these units. The fact that they all have a 1500W sinewave inverter is huge. It's the same inverter for all 3. The only difference is the battery behind it. With the upcoming ability to daisychain AGMs, I can build a much larger "system" for far less money should I decide to do so. For example, at home, I can keep a few AGM batteries on a tender and if/when the power goes out, I will be able to plug them into the Yeti and power my kitchen for a relatively long period of time. Basically, the 1000 provides me with the same flexibility and features as the other two, but at a much lower cost.

2 - Flexibility. As I said above, not only do they have the same inverter, and will be able to daisy chain AGMs, but all 3 have the same expansion capability. All of them will accept a MPPT controller (standard in the 3000, optional on the 1000 and 1400, but only $80) with 2 more inputs for AC wall chargers. This will greatly enhance the ability to fully charge it in a reasonable amount of time.

3 - Size. The 3000 is a beast IMO and would be impossible for members of my family to move around. This fact alone removes it from my list. But, not only physical size, but capacity is a blessing and a curse with the 3000. Trying to fully charge that monster on the road would be a PITA. If the new 12v charging cable that's coming will support up to 25A, that will certainly help, but it's still a lot of battery to fill.....

So, there you go. I hope that helps.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:36 PM   #12
"Silver Shrek"

2000 27' Safari
Crestwood , Kentucky
You can use two of the chargers via the 8mm ports on a 1000
drairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Thanks to everyone for the info on the Yeti. I have the 1000 on order and it should arrive this weekend. I'll be looking for ways to simply and easily
integrate it into the Interstate's electrical system, both for charging and supplying power to extend my boondocking capability. I have some ideas in both areas.....
Old 03-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Thanks to everyone for the info on the Yeti. I have the 1000 on order and it should arrive this weekend. I'll be looking for ways to simply and easily
integrate it into the Interstate's electrical system, both for charging and supplying power to extend my boondocking capability. I have some ideas in both areas.....
Looking forward to getting your impressions and ideas.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks, FFRVr. Looking forward to more updates, especially about the forthcoming 12-volt charging capacity. As I said in the other thread, we have a 12-volt outlet near the rear doors of our TV van, which would be an ideal location for the GZ unit. Plenty of folks have small fridges in their tow vehicles, with dual 120-volt AC and 12-volt DC capacities. Having the GZ make this transition would be great. Thanks for your research and great threads.

Peter
Old 03-14-2018, 04:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks, FFRVr. Looking forward to more updates, especially about the forthcoming 12-volt charging capacity. As I said in the other thread, we have a 12-volt outlet near the rear doors of our TV van, which would be an ideal location for the GZ unit. Plenty of folks have small fridges in their tow vehicles, with dual 120-volt AC and 12-volt DC capacities. Having the GZ make this transition would be great. Thanks for your research and great threads.

Peter
Thanks for the kind words.

I plan to add a 12v outlet in the rear, similar to what you and others have done. One (possible) difference is I will gauge and fuse it for 30A, in preparation for other changes to come....
Old 03-15-2018, 09:02 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Also very interested in o]your experience with integrating into the AI electrical system. All of my projects are on hold while the coach is being repaired from the accident last month. Getting closer to getting it back but it has been almost 40 days now. Anyway, integrating the Yeti into the AI electrics for seamless charging is a must. I do not want to have to move plugs, panels or anything else. Thanks again
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilly43 View Post
Also very interested in o]your experience with integrating into the AI electrical system. All of my projects are on hold while the coach is being repaired from the accident last month. Getting closer to getting it back but it has been almost 40 days now. Anyway, integrating the Yeti into the AI electrics for seamless charging is a must. I do not want to have to move plugs, panels or anything else. Thanks again
Due to how the GZ is designed, I don't think we'll be able to get away from moving plugs. It's output section is separated from the input, unlike a "normal" battery that just has 2 terminals.

What I'm envisioning at the moment is a VERY simple solution that will put the GZ in parallel with the AGMs to add to the overall capacity of the house bank, and allow charging while driving up to the capacity of the Yetis (20A for the 1000/1400, 30A for the 3000). This is likely the same approach that GZ is going to release soon wrt allowing AGMs to be daisy chained with the lithiums. I just need to contact GZ tech support and see if my plan is compatible with their integrated charge controller. Stay tuned....
Old 03-17-2018, 03:38 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Northern , California
One quick note now that my 1000 has arrived. I assumed, incorrectly, that I would be able to plug my second AC adapter into the port under the lid. Nope! This second port is only 6mm, which GZ uses as an output.

Anyone know what this output is for? There's no mention of it anywhere.....
Old 03-17-2018, 04:17 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The GZ Tech Specs say:

“6mm Port (output): 12V, up to 10A (120 W max)”

Not sure how this would be used.

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/power-...power-station/