Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2019, 03:59 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Its one of those little things that point to the larger issue

To whit: just what is an AS? Is it a solid, reliable, mobile shelter built to last, built to offer comfortable shelter from the elements, or is it just an aluminum camping tent?

From the price point and (arguably undeserved) reputation, you might think the former, but look at any aspect of the thing as it is, as it is really built, and you can only conclude the later.

If I ever get around to doing a full shell off, I plan to install wiring conduit to make replacing and running wire easier, safer, and more systematic than taping wire to the inside of the outer skin, which (I kid you not) is how it was installed.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:57 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Can somebody provide a link to a source for stranded wire with ground. All that I can find is 2 wire - apparently intended for DC usage. Also, should we go up a size (down a gauge #) when switching to stranded?
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:09 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Titus, to answer your second question, there is no difference between solid and stranded copper wire when it comes to amperage capacity - flexibility is the difference between the two.

Always use copper wire (better conductor), not aluminum wire.

2021 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi eTORQUE

Airstream Club International #2600

I’d rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:10 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
We also used the shallow boxes.

As shown, be sure to use "WR" outlets anywhere there might be moisture, like around the kitchen, bathroom, refrigerator, outside,... The one shown is a TR/WR model. We used TR models inside where dry.

Code requires securing the wiring within a certain distance from the short box, as printed on the box.

Recommend using the Ancor marine stranded wiring where possible.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bcamper View Post
I’m not sure what your comment means about the “techies having stepped away” from this forum, ....
Please re-read what I said. My exact words: "..a few of us techie old-timers have reduced our use of, or stepped away from, this forum..."

I didn't say "every" techie, nor did I imply anything close to it.

I was surprised that none of the usual suspects had called out the wiring, is all. I gave one permalinked example where that issue had been raised vociferously before. It's not the only example.

We were shocked and horrified at the quality of the electrical work in our Interstate. Not just the outlets which can be readily seen with the naked eye - the whole thing, including the parts that are harder to see. Hence we re-did as much as we could during our lithium upgrade.

Some people may believe that the status quo represents perfectly fine quality for wiring. That is OK for them, but there are others who have reached a different conclusion.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:59 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quality Of Electric Outlets

Us techie types are still around, just participants in other arguments at the moment.

Yeah, solid wire and pressure terminations or “poke home” outlets and switches are bad news both in houses and in mobile equipment.

Replacing all that at home is priority #1 at move-in and the Airstream will get upgraded as we go and budget permits. We don’t use much heavy beside the air conditioner.

All our home wiring devices are wired “under the screws” now. I was surprised to see how many of the safety earth (ground) connections were too loose from the original install and just fell off. We also won’t talk about the sparks from a Romex staple driven too hard to secure a wire in the attic. Darn near nailed my buddy when we were moving a wire.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:43 AM   #27
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
One source for three conductor stranded wire. Marine wire is the best.
http://www.genuinedealz.com/marine-w...x-ac-boat-wire
This company is just one. But they seem to have the best price. I use them for battery cables. They do quality work with a fast turn around.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Can somebody provide a link to a source for stranded wire with ground. All that I can find is 2 wire - apparently intended for DC usage. Also, should we go up a size (down a gauge #) when switching to stranded?
We purchased Ancor Marine Grade Duplex and Triplex Wire for all our replacement AC branch circuit wiring. We purchased from Amazon or PKYS marine.

When we replaced our load center as part of the 50A upgrade, all branch circuits are combo arc-fault & ground-fault breakers. Everything works well together.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote