Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2019, 06:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

St amant , Louisiana
PVDM jack relay

After I shut everything off in the van today I heard a clicking noise in the back under the driver side rear jump seat near the battery cut off and breaker panel. I removed some panels to discover the clicking noise was coming from the “PVDM jack”. A red blinking light on it cycled on and off to match the clicking noise. I recycled the batt off switch, unplugged and replugged 30 amp Ac power and also cycled off all circuit breaker on the rear panel. Nothing would make the relay stop clicking. As i started to disassemble more cabinet panels to access the relay it eventually stopped.

Anyone know what this PVDM thing does and has anyone had this problem?
SwampRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:26 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

St amant , Louisiana
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2826.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	351230Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2828.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	351231
Old 09-03-2019, 06:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

St amant , Louisiana
That was supposed to say Relay in the title
Old 09-03-2019, 08:16 PM   #4
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
SWAMPRV - Acronyms you should familiarize yourself with:

1. PVDM - Photo-Voltaic Display Module (for Solar) - the one in the
display/control cabinet above/behind driver's seat.
2. PVCM - Photo-Voltaic Control Module - the black box that you posted pics of.
3. PVDM Jack - means the cable that is plugged into this jack goes to the PVDM above/behind the driver's seat.

Clicking relay in and of itself means nothing. Under normal conditions, any number of relays in the electrical system will engage/disengage. Usually means it's either charging or done charging. You need to see which of the 4 LED's in the PVCM is lit to tell you the status (red-charge, green-full, yellow-partial, red-low). The PVCM checks availability of PV charge current, by cycling the relay every 3-5 minutes or so(check your manual for exact time checks). If there is no charge current it disconnects the battery to prevent discharge through the PV panels.

"Nothing would make the relay stop clicking" - that's because you won't stop resetting things on/off. Everytime you reset main power or ckt brkrs that interrupts power to the PVCM, you are resetting/restarting the POST routine (Power On Self Test) over & over, hence it never gets to the point where it has finished/stabilized. Usually, if the clicking is fast/furious, a high likelihood that the PV charging current is marginal that it can't decide whether to connect or disconnect until you give it enough time to figure it out on it's own.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:41 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRV View Post
That was supposed to say Relay in the title

Corrected.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:10 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

St amant , Louisiana
Thanks AVI. Yall are always so helpful round here.
I know my initial post was not written too well so Let me clarify, all of the off on switching i did was carefully and with time in between for thought and consideration of what may be going on.
Fast/furious as you said does describe my issue so your response helps me feel somewhat at ease. It was the red charge light that was blinking rapidly with the rapid clicking noise.

Whats weird is in continued to rapid click while battery switch and all breakers were off. Should I still have concern that something is fixin to break or this could possibly not stop and drain my battery down?
Old 09-04-2019, 07:11 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

St amant , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Corrected.

Thank you