Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2018, 08:14 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
If your trailer is paid off, I have heard that you can register it in South Dakota... no exorbitant fees... just an SD plate on your trailer.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:50 AM   #42
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Property tax on Airstream in South Carolina

Oh boy moving from the Buckeye to the Palmetto state. Lots of culture shocks in you’re future here.

And we’re from Cuyahoga county (Ohio) left in 1996 and now living in Darlington county (SC) since 2002.

You’re just a couple hrs SE of us.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:01 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
If your trailer is paid off, I have heard that you can register it in South Dakota... no exorbitant fees... just an SD plate on your trailer.
The great State of South Carolina views that very dimly. Even if registered in another state, SC requires that taxes be paid on vehicles that you own and are garaged in SC for a certain number of days during a year. This may be difficult to enforce; however, they make it easy by supplying a form for citizens to send to the tax authorities giving the particulars so that it can be investigated. Not sure, but I think some counties actually pay a bounty for the reports if it leads to taxation of a vehicle registered elsewhere. The person reporting remains anonymous to the person reported. There ain't many states quite like South Carolina.
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:05 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Well, why would an Interstate be taxed as a second home? Really?
Well, we rented out our home for one year and have been traveling in our AI for seven months. Had to get a full-time RV insurance policy, about a 20% increase from Progressive. (Soon we will go out of country for three months but in May we are leaning toward doing it all again for another year.)

So does this make our AI a second home? I don't think it matters for any of our taxes here in Oregon, but maybe for someone else in another state?
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:12 AM   #45
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Property tax on Airstream in South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edistobob View Post
There ain't many states quite like South Carolina.

Edistobob,

That’s a whole new thread!

I still get that where you from look or question sometimes when my Buckeye roots are showing.

Ohio sweet corn is some of the finest but never ever saw boiled peanuts or shrimp n grits in Ohio.

But I do cringe when the bill for a new tag for the AS shows up in the mail.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:22 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Oh that’s just all to much tax for the now very broke me. So I paid taxes on the money I earned to pay for the trailer now I have to keep paying for what I purchased with my already taxed incom 🙁
TheParula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:05 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheParula View Post
Oh that’s just all to much tax for the now very broke me. So I paid taxes on the money I earned to pay for the trailer now I have to keep paying for what I purchased with my already taxed incom ��
THEPARULA - I hear ya. I only chose to laugh, otherwise our only other option is to cry. We are all inside this titanic of a ship called The U.S.S. Taxation and it is leaking like a sieve.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:55 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edistobob View Post
The great State of South Carolina views that very dimly. Even if registered in another state, SC requires that taxes be paid on vehicles that you own and are garaged in SC for a certain number of days during a year. This may be difficult to enforce; however, they make it easy by supplying a form for citizens to send to the tax authorities giving the particulars so that it can be investigated. Not sure, but I think some counties actually pay a bounty for the reports if it leads to taxation of a vehicle registered elsewhere. The person reporting remains anonymous to the person reported. There ain't many states quite like South Carolina.

I can understand that. States need tax revenue and fees to provide services to their constituents. Some states however tax more than others. I am not recommending this by any stretch - all my vehicles are registered in AZ. But I bet South Dakota loves the additional revenue. 🤪
Old 12-01-2018, 08:30 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheParula View Post
Oh that’s just all to much tax for the now very broke me. So I paid taxes on the money I earned to pay for the trailer now I have to keep paying for what I purchased with my already taxed incom ��
It does seem a bit lopsided.

You pay sales tax at time of purchase, then a tag every year, but an additional tax because you are able to have a recreational vehicle in which to travel.

On an item which steadily depreciates and which has to be maintained.

I would be very unhappy with that.

Maggie
Old 12-02-2018, 06:46 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
The "tag police" do go thru my neighborhood; I'm told because of the schools, proximity to N. Carolina etc. So the only possible legit thing to do would be to put it in my son's name in Ohio. I'll pay this year and consider it next year. My other down side is I bought it Nov. 30 so my taxes are due in December....bad timing for expenses with holiday travel, gifts, and my son's last tuition bill.....yeah on that last one! What do they say? Only things certain in life are death and taxes.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:16 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
This is a fascinating topic and I thought Ontario had high taxes. After paying the 13% HST (a sales tax) on our trailer, the license fee was $180 and good for life. No other taxes. The truck and car are each $120 per year for the plate renewal.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
Unfortunately, and depending upon how closely they really check, your son would owe the SC property tax if it is garaged in SC the requisite number of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
The "tag police" do go thru my neighborhood; I'm told because of the schools, proximity to N. Carolina etc. So the only possible legit thing to do would be to put it in my son's name in Ohio. I'll pay this year and consider it next year. My other down side is I bought it Nov. 30 so my taxes are due in December....bad timing for expenses with holiday travel, gifts, and my son's last tuition bill.....yeah on that last one! What do they say? Only things certain in life are death and taxes.
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #53
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Yes, Government is 90% bluff. There is an appeal process to any lawful requirement. Not only appeal, ask for a refund of all past misapplied taxes. As a retired government employee I saw fist hand the misapplied laws. My staff was required to know and understand what the law we were enforcing actually states.
Always ask to get a copy of the regulations. “By what authority do you do this?” Will send chills down the spine of the average bureaucrat. They also don’t like it when you respectfully state you will be discussing this with your elected representatives; council county members, etc.,
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:15 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Looks like no long term (or short term) visits to SC.

They used to have a sign at the California border to Oregon that says visit but don't stay. Sound Like South Carolina says don't come.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:49 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The best one was at the Florida border, “Keep Florida green, bring money!”
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:12 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
Looks like no long term (or short term) visits to SC.

They used to have a sign at the California border to Oregon that says visit but don't stay. Sound Like South Carolina says don't come.

Dave
Hi, we are just visiting Oregon,............. for the rest of our lives.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:16 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, in California if you live and/or work in California for ten days or more, you have to change all of your licenses. The cops have been known to go to company parking lots looking for out of state plates. If your car is in a company parking lot, you work there.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:02 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Anywhere USA , USA
What are all the possible ramifications of registering the vehicle as a MB Sprinter 3500, VIN XXX..., NOT as an Airstream Interstate? Probably not possible at this point, but what about others who move from one state to another? Can this be done?

Also - taxes (all types) are one of the main reasons that full timers use FL, TX or ND as their "residences".
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:32 AM   #59

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Beaufort , South Carolina
I live in Beaufort County SC and did register our Airstream as a second home. There were no strings attached - you don't have to put it on blocks. There is a significant savings involved so go back and challenge them on this. Good luck.
Kdbarett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP View Post
What are all the possible ramifications of registering the vehicle as a MB Sprinter 3500, VIN XXX..., NOT as an Airstream Interstate? Probably not possible at this point, but what about others who move from one state to another? Can this be done?
Just make sure whatever you do is in sync with your insurance, as if you have an accident you want to be sure your Interstate is covered and not just the chassis it is built on.

Maggie