Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
$1800 a year is just about what my property taxes are. I think if that were the case I would not be an owner of an AS. Ridiculous. WI only has a tag license for an RV. My F150 license is $125 a year. Doesn't depend upon age.

I also know states like MN and IND pay these crazy excise taxes on their vehicles. Then they wonder why car sales are down in those states. As an economics major this just baffles me how government law makers can be such idiots.

Government simply cannot keep their hands out of our pockets. There is not a tax government doesn't like. Doesn't matter how unfair that tax is or how much it negatively impacts economic activity. It's amazing that the electorate tolerates this kind of stuff.

For one thing excise taxes are incredibly regressive (meaning that they burden lower income people more than upper income).
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:28 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, in California if you live and/or work in California for ten days or more, you have to change all of your licenses. The cops have been known to go to company parking lots looking for out of state plates. If your car is in a company parking lot, you work there.
I'd never live in CA. This just adds another reason.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:33 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
I can understand that. States need tax revenue and fees to provide services to their constituents. Some states however tax more than others. I am not recommending this by any stretch - all my vehicles are registered in AZ. But I bet South Dakota loves the additional revenue. ��
I live in WI only because of my children and grandchildren. But I'd move back to my home state of South Dakota in a heartbeat if I could. I loved living in South Dakota. Low taxes, low crime, low unemployment, etc etc. Most affordable state in the union to retire in according to Forbes.

The one good thing about living in rural Door County is that our real estate taxes are low because we are extremely property rich and our school district is really small. If I were to move say to Green Bay my real estate taxes would nearly triple.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:59 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
WOW ... I thought we were screwed in Cali by taxes, that's unreal ... quite sickening in fact! I'm amazed people would own RV's in your state with those additional taxes .. !
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Simpsonville , South Carolina
I'm a SC resident and the homestead exemption is only applied to one dwelling, your primary residence where you live.
sctinman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
In Illinois, you get a homestead exemption once, on the first home you buy.

Successive homes, even as the primary residence, do not qualify.

Maggie

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:03 PM   #67
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
Sales tax on a RV is lower in SC than Florida; granted FL is one of the best RV friendly states. I paid 1% on the first $5000 ($50) then 6% on the rest. Then there is an impact and registration fee. The annual tag isn’t huge and annually that is all there is. When you move a tag to a different class vehicle (up to 5K# is a class and 5001 - 10k# another) they hit you with $225 fee. Light truck / heavier truck. If you have a 5th wheel the GCVW is what you better buy or pay a fine if caught. Not s lot of 5er airstreams our there. ha! FL also doesn’t have a state income tax. Come on down, almost everyone else has. We can’t get into a restaurant till June or July.WW
Old 12-05-2018, 01:20 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Portsmouth , Virginia
Wish it was true but unfortunately not

Here in Virginia my AS is PPT. In Virginia if it can be on the road its going to be taxed, boats, and trailers included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I never heard of property tax on an RV.

Maybe itís an error.?

They probably have to cite an authority, so read everything carefully and maybe file an appeal.

Good luck.

Maggie
RidingmyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfa440 View Post
Come to Tennessee. The tag on our Airstream 30' is $18 per year, no property tax. Come on in, the water's fine.
Or come to Ontario. We pay one fee ($72) on top of the sales tax when buying a trailer, get a licence plate and never pay again. No annual inspection either.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:23 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Simpsonville , South Carolina
2011 purchased a 1998 Airstream 31ft. Classic 20 years old now. Purchased from N.C. resident that had it titled in FL. He had property there as well as N.C. My home is in Greenville county. I went to transfer it and register it in S.C. The person ask me if it was a second home, she said it would save on my taxes if so. She asked me !!! I said by all means do so. On my tax bill due in April 2018 the "Tax-Value" line shows 50, my total bill was $41.14 it shows going to 7 different entities, plus $25.00 Road Maintenance. My 2015 Ram 1500 purchased new in March 2015 "Tax-Value" line shows 810, my total tax in May 2018 was $436.47. Had same 7 entities plus $25.00 & $150.00 first Road Maintenance, second SC DMV Decal Fee. Also on the SC Homestead exemption, one of the residents must be 65 years old.
sctinman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:16 PM   #71
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I'll go in and challenge them. I may have to go to a different county to do so. It's rediculous, isn't it?
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:25 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
My RV license renewal registration, as its called in Texas, is $87 bucks this year. Sales tax when I bought it for $6000 was just $375. That's too much tax to me IMHO so I feel sorry for ya.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:34 PM   #73
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
. I paid $1800 last year for new Airstream Interstate.
$1,800? Does it have a blown engine, a wrecked transmission and raccoons living in it? How could it be new? Typo or best deal of the century?

In Colorado we have all sorts of fees and taxes folded into registrations including a tax calculated by weight and present value as I understand it. When we bought a new Airstream, the plates cost around $1,000. Each year it goes down. There are also administrative fees, fees for bridge and road repair and probably another fee or tax. Colorado has low taxes and as a result the roads are crumbling and crowded, state universities are barely funded and tuition keeps going up, primary and secondary education suffers, but we have low taxes. People want stuff without paying for itóseems selfish.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:58 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Toronto , Ontario
Well I am glad I live in Ontario. We bought a trailer put a plate on it and thatís it.
No renewal on plate no extra fees. We do pay higher taxes on other things but we have free health care as a result. My friend just had some surgery and we walked out of the hospital with only having to pay for the parking of the car during day surgery.
hawksbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:03 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you read the title of her thread, as well as this first post youíve quoted, sheís talking about paying $1800.00 in property tax on her Interstate.

Maggie

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:48 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
North Augusta , South Carolina
SC Taxes

Just hold on to that AI for 15 years and the SC Taxes drop to zero.
Barry Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:05 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksbil View Post
Well I am glad I live in Ontario. We bought a trailer put a plate on it and thatís it.
No renewal on plate no extra fees. We do pay higher taxes on other things but we have free health care as a result. My friend just had some surgery and we walked out of the hospital with only having to pay for the parking of the car during day surgery.
That hospital parking can bankrupt you! We had a similar shock when our first child was born and they handed me the bill. $4! And that was because there was a phone in the room. I had to dig deep into my pockets for that one.

It's almost impossible to compare tax rates because there are so many variables, but I doubt that Canadian taxes are much (if any) higher than most Americans pay if they include the cost of health insurance. The per capita annual spending on healthcare in the USA is about twice as much as in Canada. It's all a trade off of what you pay vs what you get. In Quebec daycare is practically free but taxes are higher. Milk is cheaper in the USA than in Canada, but Americans pay about $65 per person each year to subsidize dairy farmers which keeps those prices low. Fuel is more expensive in Canada, but university tuition is lower.

Who knows, in those states where people are paying high taxes to register their RVs they might be getting a break on something else like income tax or sales tax. Or they might be getting services that others aren't getting - although I know we tend to be pretty skeptical of that!

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:00 PM   #78
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post

Who knows, in those states where people are paying high taxes to register their RVs they might be getting a break on something else like income tax or sales tax. Or they might be getting services that others aren't getting - although I know we tend to be pretty skeptical of that!
You make an excellent point. I don't think anyone has mentioned that the South Carolina sales tax on an RV and other vehicles is capped at $500 no matter how much the initial cost is. That initial savings on sales tax then gets eroded as we pay the annual property tax.
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:34 PM   #79
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
PLEASE don't talk about this stuff to loudly or New Jersey might get some ideas. We pay an annual registration fee and that's it . One time sales tax when you originally purchase. After that it's just the annual registration so I don't want to hear any of this property tax C%&P within earshot of any NJ legislators. Of course they snag us many other ways so .......

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:43 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
In Oregon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksbil View Post

Hi, in Oregon our license fees are practically nothing compared to when we lived in California. My motor vehicles tags are $112.00 each for two years. No sales tax and that was a huge savings on my Airstream and new F-150.

After my surgery, I was recently sent a bill for $6.11; This is for a prescription that I brought home with me from the hospital, but didn't take.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote