Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2016, 06:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 22' Interstate
East Bay , California
Propel Diesel HPR

Hey folks...so I just completed my first fill-up with... Propel Diesel HPR

I'm so excited about this product...originally I had fantasies of exploring biodiesel conversion, but I love the idea that with Diesel HPR, this isn't necessary! Although it's NOT biodiesel, my understanding is that it's sourced from similarly renewable resources, just processed differently so not technically "biodiesel", but still better than the dino juice.

I'm in CA and luckily there's a station in my city that dispenses it, so why not give it a try?!?! (There's even an iphone app that helps locate stations nearby if you live in or are traveling through CA, OR, or Washington State!).

Wanted to just help spread the word to others with diesel rigs, HPR is compatible with ANY diesel engine and you don't even have to flush your tank before using it. (I did try and use of most of my conventional Diesel 2 before adding it, but that's mostly just because I want to track mileage.) I love the fact that it was even a little cheaper than conventional Diesel 2 but to be honest I would even pay a little more because of the benefits--they say greater torque and cleaner emissions--plus none of the obvious geopolitical side effects that come with the dino juice.

And no, I don't work for Propel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Propel.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	257761  
naner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I guess it depends on what the definition of "biodiesel" is. Don't know if I could use it in my 2011 tho.

And welcome to the Air Forums.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:55 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by naner View Post
Wanted to just help spread the word to others with diesel rigs, HPR is compatible with ANY diesel engine and you don't even have to flush your tank before using it.
I'll reserve judgement on that. "Approved for use in any diesel engine" doesn't mean that every diesel engine manufacturer approves it.

When I see something published by Mercedes Benz approving the use of HPR in their Tier-3 engines (the ones with a BlueTec DEF system) then I'll consider using it when and if available. Not before.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I see you have a 2004 Interstate, and I'm sure that doesn't use DEF technology. I don't think I would dare try it in mine.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2004 22' Interstate
East Bay , California
"Approved for use in any diesel engine" doesn't mean that every diesel engine manufacturer approves it.

When I see something published by Mercedes Benz approving the use of HPR in their Tier-3 engines (the ones with a BlueTec DEF system) then I'll consider using it when and if available. Not before.[/QUOTE]

Valid point. As others have pointed out, Propel's Diesel HPR does meet the ASTM D975 specification for use in diesel engines. My 2004 hasn't blown up yet, but I can see why others with later models would be cautious. With that said, I do hope that as this product catches on and as engine manufacturers actually endorse it, more of you can get off the dino juice!

~Angela
naner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I looked at their web site this stuff is only available in California. IMHO all these bio fuels are a joke as they still take a lot of energy to produce and are thus no more "green" than regular petroleum fuels.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Never heard of this product but a quick check its refined from fats and oils and it's manufactured overseas for Propel in Singapore by Neste Oil Corp., a Finland-based refining and marketing company.

Kelvin
Old 02-27-2016, 05:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Neste Oil is a quality product - it is made from vegetable oil but not through the typical biodiesel method (called transesterfication). The resulting product is as good as petroleum fuel (better in some regards). It is in California because their governor is trying to force less petroleum consumption. But greenhouse gas is an (alleged) global issue, so why not just burn the stuff in Singapore where it is made!

But having said that Neste is OK, I am in the camp of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' and will continue to use petroleum diesel (with no percent of biodiesel if I can find it) because that's what Daimler says (my engine is still under warranty) and I can see no good reason not to use petroleum diesel.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
If Jerry Brown wants to push this then it should be manufactured in California not shipped half way around the world. Doesn't make sense. The ships spew out tons of diesel. Defeats the whole purpose.

Kelvin
Old 02-27-2016, 02:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I think the reason it is made in Singapore is that palm oil is the feedstock. Agree it makes little sense to ship it that far to be used. If it makes you feel better, ship engine emissions are being increasingly regulated so the do not 'spew out diesel'.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The interesting point will be how does the price track regular diesel when that starts to return to past levels. If it remains at current levels it will soon see significant acceptance. But I suspect it is currently sold as a lost leader and will rise as oil does.

The statement can be used IN any diesel is easy to defend. If it burns and you can get it into the cylinders a diesel will run on it. Now that said the critical issues are the high pressure pumps, injectors, and current exhaust treatments that it may not be comparable with. I would not run the risk of putting it in my Excursion or VW TDI until that statement is expanded to include ALL components of the engine system.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Never heard of this product but a quick check its refined from fats and oils and it's manufactured overseas for Propel in Singapore by Neste Oil Corp., a Finland-based refining and marketing company.

Kelvin
"the plant also uses by-products of palm oil production from Malaysia and Indonesia, as well as waste animal fat from Australia and New Zealand"

^^ copied from a news release. It's difficult for me to envision how this could be economical, or even environmentally favorable. They are burning untold tons of No. 4 fuel oil to get this stuff where it needs to be refined.

Plus, I did a quick perusal of the lit, and the "environmental" efficacy is debatable. WWF, the world's largest conservation org, is not in favor of palm oil monoculture. It requires large-scale forest clearing and habitat loss.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Great comments InterBlog! In my view bio fuels are now pure politics. I initially thought they would be a good idea until I did some additional research and concluded they are a dead end driven by politics.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote