Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2018, 06:44 PM   #21
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Oliver View Post
[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3]I find the most accurate method is to observe my gas appliances. When the stove top / oven /fridge or how water heater stop working , the tank is empty. I then switch over to second tank and take empty to the nearest propane dealer and fill up. Method has workde pretty well for lots of years
JOHN OLIVER - Your method will not work for us. Our INTERSTATES come standard with only 1 tank and it not detachable. If we use your method, when we run out, we be up s***s creek with no paddle We are dependent on working gauges.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:04 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
As a check on my manual tank gauge I once poured hot water down the outside of the propane tank and felt for the transition from warm tank (above propane level) to cold tank (propane inside the tank cools the tank). That transition matched the tank gauge. The hot water method can't give a wrong indication - though it is a little difficult to get into that area with hot water.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
As a check on my manual tank gauge I once poured hot water down the outside of the propane tank and felt for the transition from warm tank (above propane level) to cold tank (propane inside the tank cools the tank). That transition matched the tank gauge. The hot water method can't give a wrong indication - though it is a little difficult to get into that area with hot water.
TITUS - that good to know. Learned something new again. Given this, I assume my Fluke laser IR thermometer can do the same? Assuming there is high enough difference to detect, I thinking it should. Will try. Thanks for tip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181114_092727.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	327843  
Old 11-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I don't know there will be enough temperature difference when just sitting there - everything will have stabilized. You should be able to measure a difference when propane is flowing (LPG is vaporizing inside the tank).
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I don't know there will be enough temperature difference when just sitting there - everything will have stabilized. You should be able to measure a difference when propane is flowing (LPG is vaporizing inside the tank).
TITUS - Ok, will do a test sometime, 1st sitting still and then in use.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:25 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
We stopped for a sort break at a closed Chinese restaurant in Muskogee and looked up propane dealers on my phone. We stopped at a dealer on the east side of 69 at the north end of the city. Nice clean drive-through facility and very friendly service. We have often stopped at the RV park at the south end of the city in the past.
I live about three miles from that dealer, and fill up there regularly. It's handy when we set out for a trip.

The nearest Interstate repair station is even closer. My driveway.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
The nearest Interstate repair station is even closer. My driveway.
GMILLEROK1 - sometimes I feel that way. My garage and driveway used to only be for racing bicycle build-shop & auto detailing shop. I have expanded from 2 wheels, to 4, now to 6. I can fit a 42 ft MH on my driveway, so maybe I will someday graduate to 8 wheel tag axle Just dreamin'.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Oliver View Post
I find the most accurate method is to observe my gas appliances. When the stove top / oven /fridge or how water heater stop working , the tank is empty. I then switch over to second tank and take empty to the nearest propane dealer and fill up. Method has workde pretty well for lots of years !

"Judgement comes from Experience, Experience comes from bad Judgement." -- Simon Bolivar

Ditto.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:11 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
I run one tank, when it's empty I switch to the other tank. Then I have the empty tank filled. This method will prevent running out of propane. I never trust a guage. Just my $0.02.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:16 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
Propane level indicators

Use tanks one at a time. When first empties switch over and look for a filling station.
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:06 PM   #31
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The last two posts are in the Interstate/B-Van section. We do not have two tanks, therefore, if we run our tank empty, we are out of luck until we reach a propane supplier.

I have a single 18-gallon tank. 15 gallons usable. My indicator is trash, but it takes a lot of furnace and/or generator running to make a dent in the tank. In a year and a half, I only used $8 worth of propane.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:31 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Pittsboro , North Carolina
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
The propane level sensor uses a variable resistor to sense level. One end of the resistor goes to your gauge panel. The other end connects to the tank body.

The problem is the body of the tank is not grounded solidly. Tighten the heck out of the tank hold-down and see if that helps any.

If you have a multimeter, check for voltage between the body of the tank and the metal of the A-frame. There should be as close to zero as the meter can read. If not, the tank is not well grounded...

In other threads, it was suggested adding a ground wire to the screw holding the sensor to the tank, and a two-prong connector to the tank so you get a solid ground for the gauge panel through one wire, and the other wire to the panel is well connected.

Another easy test: Pull the plug on your sensor and see if the gauge reads empty. Then ground that wire to the body or A-frame of the trailer. It probably will then read full. If it does, it's for sure a grounding problem.

Let us know what you find out...
Thank you Rich. I could not understand why one of the tank readings on the Firefly went out overnight. Swapped the sensor wires and the opposite tank was off. Followed you tip and. Tightened the hold down clamp and problem solved. Would never have thought of the ground on my own!!
chickenrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:29 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Propane Tank Level Indicator Error?

Personally, Id add a PowerPole connector or other polarized 2-pin connector that also hooks a dedicated ground wire under one of the screws that hold the sensor on the tank valve. That guarantees a solid ground connection under all circumstances.

I tend to use PowerPole connectors because Im a ham radio operator that has the proper install tooling and tons of the connectors. Used a lot on ham radio gear and they are quite reliable. Any small 2-pin polarized connector will work, however.

Personally I use the Mopeka wireless tank level sensors and my tanks are sitting on insulated tank rings. If I go to a wired system it will be two wires to each tank to get good grounds. Tightening the clamp will break paint film and leads to rust eventually, and Im not in love with the idea of rust on a steel propane tank...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote