Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2020, 03:25 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Propane problem

My propane seems to be stuck in the on position. Stays on when the switch is in the off position.

More than a year ago I installed a propane switch on the inside. Its been working great and very convenient. However I failed to keep the outside switch wired in series with the new switch (as several others have recommended) so that with either switch in the off position the propane would be off and only "on" when both switches are in the "on" position. I discovered my problem after I put the original outside switch in series with the new inside switch. I then put it back the way I had it with only the switch on the inside wired but the propane still will not turn off. I obviously did something but not sure what I did. I can hear the relay(or whatever it is) clicking when the inside switch is turned "on". There is no sound when the switch is turned off. Any suggestions or ideas would be most appreciated.
orlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:34 AM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
You are hearing the propane solenoid itself. There is no relay.

It is not a "recommendation." The law requires that the two switches be in series for safety. The propane dealer MUST be able to reliably turn the solenoid off when filling the tank. Not doing so is not only dangerous, but it can damage your propane system.

You may very well have damaged your system.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:09 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
You are hearing the propane solenoid itself. There is no relay.

It is not a "recommendation." The law requires that the two switches be in series for safety. The propane dealer MUST be able to reliably turn the solenoid off when filling the tank. Not doing so is not only dangerous, but it can damage your propane system.

You may very well have damaged your system.

Thank you for responding. I'm still trying to figure this out. I'm not sure I understand how I may have damaged my system since all was well before I decided to fix my error. I simply cut one of the red wires I installed earlier and using temporary jumpers (to test before crimping) attached them to the leads of the outside switch putting it in series with the inside switch. Could you elaborate more on how I may have damaged the system and if you know a way I can tell if the system is damaged? BTW, I have not had the need to fill the tank since before the inside switch was installed. I do know damage could occur if the switch is "on" during filling. Thanks, your knowledge in this area is most appreciated.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:26 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
When the switches were in parallel, filling the propane tank with the inside switch on was dangerous and could have damaged the system.

If you did not accidentally fill with the solenoid on, then the problem is something else. Maybe a failed solenoid.

If you hear it pick up, your circuit is good. I don't hear mine drop out, either.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:56 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
When the switches were in parallel, filling the propane tank with the inside switch on was dangerous and could have damaged the system.

If you did not accidentally fill with the solenoid on, then the problem is something else. Maybe a failed solenoid.

If you hear it pick up, your circuit is good. I don't hear mine drop out, either.
Must be something else because switches were never in parallel and the last time the tank was filled was before I installed the inside switch.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:27 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:

Solved. Your right, it was something else. I called Airstream and Mike was very helpful. Seems I was not allowing enough time for the flame to extinguish to expel gas from the line. Very ignorant on my part. Seems it can take anywhere from one to three minutes depending on model and length of gas line. I was only waiting 20-30 seconds. I do appreciate your feedback. Thanks and cheers.