Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2017, 04:49 PM   #1
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Propane Leak!?

So I thought it was weird that our LP was 2/3 full even though our unit was brand new. We are out camping this weekend and after not using the rig at all the propane tank reads completely empty! Sure enough the stove won't light.

Our 2017 AI was purchased in January and used 3 times only. We've run the generator twice for maybe 15-20 mins each time. That's it.

Only explanation is a propane leak, which is a bit scary since we store it in a garage at a self storage facility. I never smelt gas though.

Any clue where such a leak could be coming from?
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Generators use a lot of propane, and it may be there wasn't as much in there as you thought.

If you had a leak, you would probably be smelling that.

I would call your salesman or the service department at your dealership tomorrow and ask how much propane is usually in a new rig when it leaves the lot.

If your tank was full, I would have a brand new rig looked at by your dealer or other authorized service facility rather than try to trouble shoot yourself....especially if there may be a leak.

Good luck.

Maggie
Old 04-09-2017, 01:42 PM   #3
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Yes I will be taking to dealer tomorrow. Last time I put it back in the garage it was showing at least half a tank. And when I got it out zero. It wasn't used at all in between. Can't imagine what could have caused it to disappear.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:40 PM   #4
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Looks like I'm not the only one this has happened to - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ue-121117.html. Also reading this thread is first time I have heard I should turn off propane when in storage.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #5
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Ask your dealer to do a "manometer test." Our dealer does this test for free as he feels this is an important safety check, though I can't speak for other dealers. Anyway, this test will tell them whether your system is leaking propane. If it is, they will find the leak and fix it. Given your trailer is under warranty, the repair should also be free. In the future when that's not the case, there would be some kind of charge, but it's obviously worth fixing in either case.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
Looks like I'm not the only one this has happened to - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ue-121117.html. Also reading this thread is first time I have heard I should turn off propane when in storage.
One reason to turn off the propane valve is that it draws about 0.8 amps when on as the solenoid opens the valve against spring pressure. One reason a lot of us installed an inside switch in series w/ the one on the outside by the fill valve.

I would get about 8-10 hours (temperature dependent) of generator time running the A/C from a full tank. Also the gauge is notoriously inaccurate partly due to it is temperature dependent.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:13 PM   #7
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Great info! Thanks Rocinante and 73shark. Our storage garage has no electricity and no sunlight, so no trickle charge, so sparing that bit of vampire battery usage will be good.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
I just filled up my propane and noticed that the 12" propane hose from the bottle to the regulator was leaking. There's a rubber grommet near the ACME connector that disintegrated after only two years! I've got two new 12" hose with ACME connectors on order. Because I removed the bottles, the smell of residual propane was already pronounced. However, I could hear a faint sound which led me to the leak! My trailer is only a 2015, so perhaps this will help someone else identify and/or eliminate a leak.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We were told at purchase to turn off the propane along with the battery switch to "store", whenever returning from a trip.

Whether in your driveway, or in storage, if not in use turn it off....always our understanding.

Let us know what is found. )

Maggie
Old 04-10-2017, 08:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
If you have confidence in the facts that (a) the tank had been 2/3 full and (b) you didn't run your generator more than an hour cumulatively, then I'd bet that you have a leak. That's just too much propane unaccounted for.

If you are ambitious, you could scoot under the chassis and spray some soapy water on the junctions and fittings. I found our leak (blog post) by that method and also because of the faint hissing sound that it was making.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:17 AM   #11
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
I am confident in those facts. Normally I would be ambitious but in this case (a) since the tank is now empty presumably I'd have to add propane to search for the leak, (b) even if I found it I want my dealer to fix it under warranty in any event. I'm just shocked that it came brand new with a leak. Dropping it off this afternoon- will update when they have a diagnosis!
Old 04-10-2017, 08:46 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Please get them to tell you EXACTLY where the leak occurred, if it is a leak, because these types of issues sometimes recur across different units. A pic would be even better.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #13
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Bring the propane hose for your generator as well...just in case that's where the leak is.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:13 PM   #14
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Well apparently there was no leak after all. The dealer reported that the gauge that measures LP level malfunctioned and had to be replaced- even though it was showing zero the tank was still 2/3 full. I had tried to light the stove but apparently I didn't do it correctly... anyway the Interstate is back in the driveway with the propane tank topped off and reading full, ready for our next road trip tomorrow!
Old 04-13-2017, 04:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's good to hear.

Now...back to enjoying your new rig.

Maggie