RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-13-2021, 10:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Pots, pans and plates in the overhead storage

What have you found that gives you maximum storage with minimum rattle with your pots, pans and plates in the overheard storage?

We have just used paper dividers between the plates & cups (coffee filters work well) to keep the rattle down. However they are kind of a hassle to always deal with.

Have you found anything that fits in the overheads but do not take up too much of the precious space?
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:21 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
The pic loads sideways, but I store our plates vertically in a lower cabinet using this contraption of pvc pipe and rope. Pots and pans are under the sink in our 27 FC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16105582819037502213499353206241.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	386854  
SnooMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Here you go just resize it a smidgeClick image for larger version

Name:	20210113_103646.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	386856

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:03 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
That's clever!
djabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I use lower cabinets for heavy items, and use a lid organizer for dishes and pan lids.

Maggie

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:09 PM   #6
Site Team

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We have a set of Magma pots/pans with their separators to prevent rattling, and they are in the "deluxe" Magma zip bag. We put the kit in the big overhead cabinet in the rear above the lounge, and shove them to one side of that space so they will never slide out in a quick stop because they will instead be pushing on the cabinet framework. If we had more storage down below, we'd probably put them under the lounge...will investigate in case there's more room in that location than I think, though I also wouldn't want them sliding down the aisle in a quick stop.

Regarding our plates, we use square Corelle. We store the plates in an expanding portfolio from an office supply store, separated by paper plates. Got that idea here several years ago. Square Corelle soup bowls are separated by paper bowls. Cups and glasses are Tervis Tumblers.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:26 PM   #7
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
👍

Nothing breakable goes where it will break.

All glass items are stored low & wrapped in hand towels.
After our first Season back in '88, all our dinner plates ended up being the kind that can be wiped and sent to the campfire.

Glamping is for Glampers...we don't 'Clamp'😂

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
We too have the Magma nesting pots and pans and just added the colander to the set. The bag and separators keep them nice and snug but we will definitely look for a low spot to store them as they are likely to heavy for our vintage upper cabinets.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Using a portfolio for plates is a great idea, Bill, and almost zero dead space between plates, which I like.

Maggie

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:45 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Here you go just resize it a smidgeAttachment 386856
THANKS! I did not know about that trick!
SnooMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:11 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
austin , Texas
Thanks for the portfolio idea!
ejami5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:20 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Ione , CA
My wife Melanie is very innovative and put spring loaded curtain rods across the overhead cabinet door openings to prevent pots and pans from moving out. Low weight and very effective. Can be easily removed or repositioned in a second when needed. She also stacks using pot/pan sets made to do that.
Trowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:21 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I’ve been using a check register for Corelle plates for years now. It slides into a gap I have on the side of the microwave (newer Interstates don’t have a gap). I also use other office organizational items including a large art sleeve behind the driver’s seat.

Note that this is an INTERSTATE thread - not a trailer thread. Many of the suggestions that work very well for trailers are non-starters for us.

Plates at lower right in a 12-month check / receipt holder. I have 4 full sized, 4 of the smaller ones, so there are 4 slots open.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:35 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I’ve been using a check register for Corelle plates for years now. It slides into a gap I have on the side of the microwave (newer Interstates don’t have a gap). I also use other office organizational items including a large art sleeve behind the driver’s seat.

Note that this is an INTERSTATE thread - not a trailer thread. Many of the suggestions that work very well for trailers are non-starters for us.

Plates at lower right in a 12-month check / receipt holder. I have 4 full sized, 4 of the smaller ones, so there are 4 slots open.

Glad folks like portfolio idea for plates. It is absolutely a concept I found right here in this forum years ago. The idea probably came from IB!

I got the idea for square plates and dishes from a friend of ours with whom we camped. All spaces inside the Interstate are relatively rectangular, so what's the use of having round plates? So much more efficient to use square ones.

Old 01-14-2021, 10:40 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowbridge View Post
My wife Melanie is very innovative and put spring loaded curtain rods across the overhead cabinet door openings to prevent pots and pans from moving out. Low weight and very effective. Can be easily removed or repositioned in a second when needed. She also stacks using pot/pan sets made to do that.
We also use these to prevent "crapalanches" when we open our overhead cabinets and our refrigerator. Camco makes some lightweight ones which we're using and seem to work, but actual tension rods intended for curtains might be stronger.

Old 01-14-2021, 11:26 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
Our Corelle (three sizes of plates x 4) with nothing between them rides on edge in an upper cabinet approximately over the axle--we have an FC25. It's been to Alaska and back and throughout Newfoundland without a problem. Before the Airstream it traveled on edge in a "kitchen box" in an E150. The box was carried from the van to the picnic table for at least 20 years of tent camping--no problems then either.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:39 PM   #17
Site Team

The kitchen box sounds like a great idea in a vehicle with room for such. Most Airstream Interstates (built inside Mercedes Sprinter vans) do not have that kind of room because of all the cabinets above, and the limited storage below. Anybody who suggests putting such an item under the rear lounge hasn't seen what we Interstate owners already have to put there, haha. Also, while putting stuff above the axles is good advice for Airstream trailers (we had one for seven years), it has little relevance inside a motor home van like an Interstate.

Old 01-14-2021, 02:04 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Napa , California
We use vertical racks on the top for plates (Corelle) and make sure that everything is wedged in tightly before we take off, no slack. You can wedge with a hotmitt or towel in with them if they wobble. We've had them for 15 years now and nothing has broken. Cups and glasses are stored in a grided drawer (like a dresser organizer for socks or underwear). Our Magna pots and pans are stored LOW and on a rubber shelf liner, not in a case and I use round silicone hot matts to keep them from rubbing each other. Dual purpose and no extra stuff to deal with!
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:02 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Sunset , Texas
We use plastic magazine or file organizers in the upper storage for plates, bowls, Glasses, and coffee cups. I bought plastic type dishes at Walmart. Everything stays put. And I bought these organizers before school supplies and they are different colors and have little pockets on the front. So I slip little pieces of paper identifying what’s in each one.
The pots and pans go in lower storage and I put paper plates between them and between the lids and the pots.
TexasRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:20 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
A couple of enameled tin plates I use as chargers to hold Chinet paper plates.

Heavy stuff goes low or in the oven and light stuff goes high. Actually do not have a glass or pottery item in the kitchen. Too many bumpy, washboard, rough roads while boon docking in the Mojave. (A lesson learned by experience.)

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote