Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Saint Louis , Missouri
Plumbing woes: Fittings leaking to outdoor shower

So, got hooked up and noticed a drip under van. Checked under sink and found the screw on fitting going to the outdoor faucet to hot was leaking. It was only hand tight so I tightened it.. still leaking.

I took the faucet out and found it was in good shape, no cracks. So it must be the gasket leaking.

1. Do you all know if you can replace the gasket?
2. What is the part number or name of this kind of fitting?
3. How about cutting the his fitting off and replacing with gatorbite flex hose? Anybody tried that?

Thanks for feedback. I have done a little pex work in the past but would have to get the tools for this type and would rather do a cheaper option of replacing with a flex hose as it's somewhat plug and play with the tools I have and may reduce some tenstion on there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190203_130738.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	332901  
Old 02-03-2019, 02:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
CHARLIEOSCAR - this is all I found. No gasket part#. So, I can only assume the gasket is part of one of the fittings. There is a rubber washer they mention but nothing says for which, just "602217 - Rubber washer, Exterior shower".

PS - You may want to double check if it is the gasket/washer or you have a hairline crack on the fitting. Looking at that pic closely/magnified and checking the calcium residue from the drip marks (right side of fitting going down), it is possible it is a hairline crack?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Water Connectors Annotation 2019-02-03 125753.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	332902  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:07 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
CHARLIEOSCAR - this is all I found. No gasket part#. So, I can only assume the gasket is part of one of the fittings. There is a rubber washer they mention but nothing says for which, just "602217 - Rubber washer, Exterior shower".

PS - You may want to double check if it is the gasket/washer or you have a hairline crack on the fitting. Looking at that pic closely/magnified and checking the calcium residue from the drip marks (right side of fitting going down), it is possible it is a hairline crack?
The facuet itself isn't cracked for sure. I took it out of the van and did a pretty good inspection. I think I'm going to just cut off the fitting from the PEX and put on a standard braided hose with a shark bite Union. Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing:

SharkBite 1/2 in. Push-to-Connect x 1/2 in. Push-to-Connect x 18 in. Braided Stainless Steel Supply Hose
https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...18LF/202812116

Something like this. Looking for a shorter length. Or maybe just go shark bite to male and then fit a standard water supply line.

Going to start just carrying these sharkbites with me for road repairs. At least to put a blind end on a line that is leaking to bypass or completely repair.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieOscar View Post
SharkBite 1/2 in. Push-to-Connect x 1/2 in. Push-to-Connect x 18 in. Braided Stainless Steel Supply Hose

Going to start just carrying these sharkbites with me for road repairs. At least to put a blind end on a line that is leaking to bypass or completely repair.
CHARLIEOSCAR - Well, if you gonna bring up stainless steel braided hoses, how can I object Those are my go to plumbing hoses. My house was spec'ed for all copper lines. But builder used cheapo plastic lines from the valves to all the fixtures. After one of the plastic hoses developed leak causing ceiling damage (luckily only on garage ceiling), I ripped out all 24 of the cheapo valves & plastic hoses - converted to stainless steel braided hoses & better valves. That was 15 yrs. ago.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

Same here, but remember that the braided hoses still have rubber washers in places to seal fittings. I had a high water pressure issue in the house and managed to damage a few of those washers. Didn’t leak much, but it was a scramble fixing it and finding the cause. Fittings were about 15 years old at the time they started dripping.

I now have a shiny new whole house pressure regulator with a new, permanently installed water pressure gauge right next to it. And yeah, I check it once a month.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I now have a shiny new whole house pressure regulator with a new, permanently installed water pressure gauge right next to it.
RMKRUM - Same here. It actually came spec'ed with the house. Surprised that is not required in SoCal. In the LV valley, pressure varies from 30-110 psi. depending on elevation, which is why I think it is code here. Since we live almost at the highest point in the valley, we normally get about 60 psi inlet. But I dial my regulator a tad below at 45 psi which serves us well. The shower & faucet aerators do a good job of it.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

There had been a decent old regulator installed when House was built. It apparently went bad because of a bad valve seat or pintle. Pressure regulated at 45 pounds when water flowing, but gradually rose to 110 pounds street pressure when all faucets were shut. It’s now an impressively heavy brass paperweight unless I can find parts to overhaul it. Got lucky that old one and new one are exact same length and thread size.

They seem to install the cheapest ones possible, or the plumbers pull them out instead of replacing. Other house has 75 PSI in the street, and no regulator. There is a new one there as well at the meter. Was blowing drip irrigation system apart before I fixed it. Pain in the tail.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
RMKRUM - You are lucky indeed. I had similar prob with mine (though not 110 psi). Ordered a new one while it was available. Was lucky to be able to rebuild old one (don't remember which parts froze up, was a long time ago). But I kept new one as spare, coz my luck, if it fails again, my size will be discontinued
Old 02-04-2019, 03:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . . but would have to get the tools for this type and would rather do a cheaper option of replacing with a flex hose as it's somewhat plug and play with the tools I have . . . [emphasis added]
. . .

Good luck with the "cheaper option" . . . asking for trouble around an Airstream IMO! . . . though SS hoses might be the best choice here.

Peter

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:46 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

Good luck with the "cheaper option" . . . asking for trouble around an Airstream IMO! . . . though SS hoses might be the best choice here.

Peter

I hear you. Cheaper is a relative term here though. The SS hose option is a 15-20 dollar hose whereas the PEX fittings are a couple cents. But the tools to put them on are around 60-90 dollars so that's where the real cost is. Hope to get it repaired this weekend.

People on here above talking about high pressure. AI has a built in pressure regulator and manual says not to use an add-on at the hose or it can mess it up. Anyone out there using extra regulator or just built in AI regulator ?
Old 02-05-2019, 09:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
I hear you. Cheaper is a relative term here though. The SS hose option is a 15-20 dollar hose whereas the PEX fittings are a couple cents. But the tools to put them on are around 60-90 dollars so that's where the real cost is. Hope to get it repaired this weekend.

People on here above talking about high pressure. AI has a built in pressure regulator and manual says not to use an add-on at the hose or it can mess it up. Anyone out there using extra regulator or just built in AI regulator ?
CHARLIEOSCAR - I use a separate/adjustable on the utility faucet so I protect my hose. Yes, manual says that but they are not concerned about your hose. Irony is my AS dealer provided me that regulator (yes, fancy brass adjustable) in my PDI kit.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:43 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
CHARLIEOSCAR - I use a separate/adjustable on the utility faucet so I protect my hose. Yes, manual says that but they are not concerned about your hose. Irony is my AS dealer provided me that regulator (yes, fancy brass adjustable) in my PDI kit.

Just wanted to share that I got a new hose that is far superior IMO than usual Camco white hose. Teknor Apex 400625 Company 4006-25 Hose Zero-G 1/2X25 Rv/Marine https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1FB8WV..._ofpzCbHPPQNPG.

Far more flexible, especially in cold weather. The fittings screw on very smoothly compared to the Camco. It also folds up way easier for storage. I originally got it as a backup hose but now considering a second one of these and ditching the Camco.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Just wanted to share that I got a new hose that is far superior IMO than usual Camco white hose. Teknor Apex 400625 Company 4006-25 Hose Zero-G 1/2X25 Rv/Marine https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1FB8WV..._ofpzCbHPPQNPG.

Far more flexible, especially in cold weather. The fittings screw on very smoothly compared to the Camco. It also folds up way easier for storage. I originally got it as a backup hose but now considering a second one of these and ditching the Camco.
CHARLIEOSCAR - You mean this? Good stuff, I like it too but for now I keep both coz my white Camco (see it underneath the Zero-G?) is only 10ft which is handy for when spigot is close. If/when Zero-G comes out with shorter, then will ditch Camco and carry both sizes of Zero-G.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190213_212708.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	601.9 KB
ID:	333603  
Old 08-01-2020, 01:19 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Globetrotter
Mcgregor , Texas
outside faucet replacment

I recently purchased my Airstream Interstate Lounge and needed an outside faucet and cound not find any information on the part. The dealer in dfw could only order the entire housing with faucet. I found an exact fit faucet on Amazon. d&w PF213246. Took about 30 min to replace. Here is the item. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Rickeyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 02:51 PM   #15

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
SAN ANTONIO , TX
thank you - outdoor shower valve

Just a quick note - new member here - THANK YOU for confirming the part number for external shower valve - just ordered. Thank you again
SatAS2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:37 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Santa Monica , California
potable hose

Quote:

Looks nice but it is $100.
Strangely the 50' is cheaper than the 25'
Mr.Malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 09:03 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Park City , UT
Thanks RickyT

I’m troubleshooting this exact problem right now. Water is dripping from the cold water connection to the outside shower valve (2012 interstate). I took the supply line off, checked the washer, used plumbing tape, tried pipe dope, etc. nothing stopped the drip. I pulled the valve assembly out and inspected it; all looked good. Still leaks after reassembly. My only thought is a hairline crack in the valve fitting.

Thanks to you, I now have a new valve assembly coming my way. Hopefully that will resolve my problem.
kaylorsan is offline   Reply With Quote