Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2018, 12:28 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Phantom Brake Light Indicator

Has anyone else had this issue? The dashboard brake trouble light has illuminated, which, according to the manual means the brake fluid reservoir is low. The manual also instructs you to stop driving and immediately tow your Sprinter to the nearest dealer.

My brake fluid reservoir is not low, the brakes are working fine, and the dealer checked the computer and brake sensors and could not find any faults. The light is still on. The dealer said that for $150 per hour they could keep digging into it. I declined to enrich them further in this ghost hunt. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0697.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	314168Does anyone have any ideas or a similar experience?
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Grasping at straws... Might this be trying to tell you that one of the brake light bulbs is burnt out?
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Grasping at straws... Might this be trying to tell you that one of the brake light bulbs is burnt out?

We tested those and they work fine. I think that type of malfunction displays on the info screen.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bcamper View Post
Has anyone else had this issue? The dashboard brake trouble light has illuminated, which, according to the manual means the brake fluid reservoir is low. The manual also instructs you to stop driving and immediately tow your Sprinter to the nearest dealer.

My brake fluid reservoir is not low, the brakes are working fine, and the dealer checked the computer and brake sensors and could not find any faults. The light is still on. The dealer said that for $150 per hour they could keep digging into it. I declined to enrich them further in this ghost hunt. Does anyone have any ideas or a similar experience?
Is your Sprinter a Freighliner? What brand of dealer did you have looked at it?

My 2012 Sprinter owners manual says that Brake Light can indicate an EBD (Electronic Brake force Distribution) malfunction. From the way I read my owners manual the EBD malfunction can be indicated by the Brake Light alone or with other warnings like ABS, ESP and ASR/BAS. The EBD impacts rear wheel brake force distribution.

I think these systems have been on all Sprinters since the NCV3 models were introduced in 2009/2010.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:49 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Is your Sprinter a Freighliner? What brand of dealer did you have looked at it?

My 2012 Sprinter owners manual says that Brake Light can indicate an EBD (Electronic Brake force Distribution) malfunction. From the way I read my owners manual the EBD malfunction can be indicated by the Brake Light alone or with other warnings like ABS, ESP and ASR/BAS. The EBD impacts rear wheel brake force distribution.

I think these systems have been on all Sprinters since the NCV3 models were introduced in 2009/2010.

I see what you’re looking at in the manual, and as I read it, the ESP and ABS and the tire symbol along with the brake light signal all have to be illuminated together for it to be an issue with the anti-lock or EBV braking system. I may be wrong, but that’s how I read that. I see one other cause listed in the owners manual, and that is the trailer brake booster system malfunction. I’m not towing a trailer, so I don’t know what to think of that.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:05 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Phantom Brake Light Indicator

Okay, while troubleshooting something else, I found that this brake light indication was due to the 20 amp trailer socket fuse. Fuse position 14, under the driver’s seat. For unknown reason(s) it was blown. I don’t tow anything, so there could be a short somewhere. The manual does in fact implicate the trailer system; it says “The trailer’s brake booster is malfunctioning”. I guess a blown fuse qualifies as malfunctioning! I’m a bit disappointed that the Sprinter mechanic didn’t find or suggest that. Lesson learned.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bcamper View Post
the Sprinter mechanic didn’t find or suggest that. Lesson learned.
3BCAMPER - Great to hear you fixed it yourself. I would suggest most mechanics, even very honest ones, limit what they suggest (goes towards liability & once they go down that road, the questions never end). Also goes back to your original statement -
"The dealer said that for $150 per hour they could keep digging into it."
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote