Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2020, 09:31 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Pesky electric blinds and shades in AI

I am having trouble with those pesky blinds and sunshades in the 2016 AI. And have read the threads, looked at videos, examined the manual, all the usual stuff. Yes, I could make an appointment with the local Airstream outfit and get it all fixed, but somehow …

So, then, I've decided to look into matters more myself. So far, I've located what appear to be two main electrical leads (+ and -) that tie to what appears to be a wireless switch. On the other side of the switch are a pair of leads that seem to go to the shade and another pair of leads that seem to go to the sunscreen.

All of this is subject to verification at this point. This morning I ordered some connectors and test leads from Amazon so that I can build test equipment to examine the layout. The equipment will include both my VOM and powered leads coming from my portable lithium power supply at 12 volts, low amps.

Presumably, then, I should be in a position to do a full diagnosis of the issue (at least at this window). If it means ordering new (and expensive) shades, well, fine, at least I'm the one who did the diagnosis. Or maybe I just need a new wireless switch. Or a new remote control. All to be determined!

While waiting for stuff to arrive, I was thinking about removing that lengthy interior panel, inside of which the shades are suspended, I assume. I can see three standard Airstream plastic angles holding up the panel at the bottom, but don't see any other attachments. Have any of you taken the panel down? How is it held in position (other than by the three angles at the bottom)?

Lynn
Old 01-09-2020, 09:51 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Colorado Springs , Colorado
You might review this thread for ideas on bench testing etc. and shade removal if you have not seen it already
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:54 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Here is the correct link
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...de-185814.html
Old 01-09-2020, 10:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Thank you, swilly43!!

Lynn
Old 01-10-2020, 09:47 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bozeman , Montana
AI Shades - Alternatives??

Hello all -- we have one night shade, driver's side rear, which no longer functions in our 2017 AI GT. I began to disassemble the side panels to access the shade then began to wonder whether it wouldn't be simpler to add a mechanical shade or other method to cover the window at night.

I realize owner's concern about aesthetics may vary, but if anyone has installed a simple alternative for a non-functioning window shade I would be interested in looking at options.

Thanks in advance!

David J
ArcherTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:18 AM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I have two of the pleated shades, courtesy of another member. I'm seriously thinking of removing the window boxes on the rear two windows and installing the pleated shades. I had the pleated shades for over 20 years in my trailers and I can live with them.

One thing I miss with the electric shades is turning off the lights, raising the shade to the top of the swing-out window, and opening that window for night-time ventilation. In the morning, I could close the window and blind from bed without giving the neighbors a show. This is such a pain with the electric windows that I have ceased doing it.

With the twin beds, removal of the window boxes would also allow me to hinge and raise the head of my wife's bed since she likes to read in bed.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
I have a response in a another thread of the same nature. Take a look:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post2322447

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherTC View Post
Hello all -- we have one night shade, driver's side rear, which no longer functions in our 2017 AI GT. I began to disassemble the side panels to access the shade then began to wonder whether it wouldn't be simpler to add a mechanical shade or other method to cover the window at night.

I realize owner's concern about aesthetics may vary, but if anyone has installed a simple alternative for a non-functioning window shade I would be interested in looking at options.

Thanks in advance!

David J
Old 01-10-2020, 11:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
With the twin beds, removal of the window boxes would also allow me to hinge and raise the head of my wife's bed since she likes to read in bed.

The window boxes are what forced us to mount the new twin beds on a roller track. We shift the bed toward the center and then I can raise the head of the bed.
We looked at removing the window boxes, but that was late in the job cycle and I wanted to get it out of the shop and hit the road. I’ll be curious to see your results if you remove them. My only snag with removing them is that they currently hold the MCD shades to the window.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
I noted in the other thread that my huge pile of documentation for the AI does not include the documentation for the shades or the remote control. Does anybody have a copy that could be shared?

THe more I look at this, the more I become convinced that this can be repaired without a lot of expense or difficulty.

Lynn
Old 01-12-2020, 06:34 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
The manuals are available on the automotion website. See previous thread above for DPDT installation to use the shades manually. Note that the limit switches will not operate so you have to ensure that you do not open or close too far! Please post your results, especially if you are able to repair the RF section.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
What a mess. The one shade somehow managed to wrap the wires around the shade, pulling hard enough to detach the shade mount, muck up the motor, and finally to rip the wires apart. Good job!

It is also clear that the two shades are not of the same generation. This has been worked on before.

So at this point I have several options:

1. Replace motor and associated parts with new parts, all RF. Considerable expense.

2. Replace motor with non-RF version along with DPDT switch. Less expense, but still not cheap. Total of maybe $180.

3. Replace the whole business with manual shades.

Lynn
Old 01-12-2020, 04:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Just tested the second motor in that window. It's good. So I am ordering a new non-RF motor for the other blind and planning to install both blinds with a pair of DPDT switches.

Lynn
Old 01-12-2020, 05:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Total cost of the repair, including new motor, two switches (one for each blind), double switch housing, tax, shipping, will be around $175. The motor is from an RV outfit. All the rest is Amazon.

That's more than I wanted to spend, but I didn't know about the destroyed motor at the outset.

Lynn
Old 01-17-2020, 02:31 PM   #14
Contributing Member

One bad shade

My curbside rear side window day shade quit working a while back. The motor audibly runs, but the blind is solidly stopped about 6" up from the sill. This isn't a bad stopping place, because it allows me to raise the night blind the same amount and crank open the window at night.

I finally decided to look into the situation this morning. I pulled the window box without much trouble except for reaching the screw at the extreme rear end. Airstream had wadded up about 5' of excess wire and screwed it to the wood frame. Before I replace the window box, I'll shorten this wire.

I temporarily swapped in the night connection to the day shade connection and the symptoms did not change. Motor runs and nothing moves.

I have the motor pulled out. It is within the 1-year warranty, so I'll ask whether the dealer will just swap motors with me so I won't need to take the AI to them. They have willingly done that in the past.

BTW, it doesn't look bad with the window box out. I'm tempted to install a window sill and convert to the set of pleated shades that I have. That would add a bit of room if I want to add a reclining feature to my twin beds.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-17-2020, 02:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
BTW, it doesn't look bad with the window box out. I'm tempted to install a window sill and convert to the set of pleated shades that I have. That would add a bit of room if I want to add a reclining feature to my twin beds.

Could you post a quick pic of the window, with box removed?
Old 01-17-2020, 02:49 PM   #16
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
Could you post a quick pic of the window, with box removed?
I'll try to do that tomorrow. I forgot my phone this morning or I would have taken a photo. The AI is in storage about 10 miles from me at the moment.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-17-2020, 06:21 PM   #17
Contributing Member

The dealer is happy to swap out my bad motor for a replacement and let me install it without my having to take my AI to his shop. The owner knows that I am mechanically pretty much the equal to his techs and he has supplied me with warranty repair parts like this for the last 20 years.

I have downloaded and printed all of the installation PDFs from the AutoMotion site.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-17-2020, 09:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Just out of curiosity, did you happen to see the dealer invoice for the automotion replacement motor? I ask only because the motor I ordered is one that replaces the automotion motor, but it isn't an automotion motor. Invoice was $150 plus the usual shipping / handling ripoff for $25 more. It arrived today; work on installation tomorrow.

Lynn
Old 01-17-2020, 09:19 PM   #19
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Just out of curiosity, did you happen to see the dealer invoice for the automotion replacement motor?
Lynn
I haven't made the motor trade yet. I just spoke to the owner to get assurance that I could get a replacement and I wouldn't have to take the rig there. The parts man is off until Monday. I'm going by then to see whether they have one in stock or will need to order one. Hopefully, since there are so many shade problems out there, they will have a replacement in stock. If not, they will order one for me.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-17-2020, 09:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
If they do try to charge you, and it is too much, I can get you the info from the outfit I ordered from. Just let me know.
Lynn