Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2020, 09:40 PM   #21
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Off-topic, but because I have been working with the window boxes today, a neat idea occurred to me. I have been trying to find a good, permanent place for a dispenser for facial tissues.

The forward window box on the curb side drops down aft of the galley counter and forms an empty box. Perfect place to build in a tissue dispenser! The diagram from the parts manual, below, shows the empty space where I will install it.

I don't even need to remove the window box. I'll carefully cut an appropriate opening into the face of the box. I'll start searching the web for an appropriate dispenser.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Window box.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	359341  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:59 PM   #22
Contributing Member

Photo with window box removed

Hard to get a good photo because of the contrast between indoors and outside.
This was the best shot.

It actually looks very nice with the window box removed. Every surface is covered with dark gray plastic. There are a few screw holes in the fuzzy wall and in the bottom of the cabinet above. The ones above are not noticeable. To remove the box, I would need to laminate up a trim board for the aft edge of the window box immediately forward and come up with a nice trim for the top of the lower wall.

At least for now, I will retain the window boxes and get the CS day shade working.

I measured and my tissue dispenser idea will work. There is plenty of surface and depth for the embedded box. Ordering the box today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bare aft.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	359368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tissue Location.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	359369  

WBCCI #9632
Old 01-19-2020, 07:49 AM   #23

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Once I get a little further along, I'll post a pic or two. I am going with manual DPDT switches that will be mounted in the panel to the rear of the window.

Would have made more progress yesterday, but the working position was such that I started getting ugly cramps and stopped. Back to it today when it warms up again!

Lynn
Old 01-19-2020, 01:29 PM   #24

Airstream - Other
I made some fair progress today. The blinds, including the one with the new motor, are installed. And the two DPDT switches are installed. Letting some glue dry for the rest of the day before powering the whole thing up. Then I need to do some extension / retraction adjustment on the new motor. And then it's done! Well, except for reinstalling the panel to the wall, but that's pretty easy.

Pics. Maybe.

Lynn
Old 01-20-2020, 09:14 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

escondido , California
I like your switches. Did you wire these in to accommodate the limit switches in the motor or did you eliminate these as I did. Curious if you found a way to include the relays and limit switches.
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:37 AM   #26

Airstream - Other
The limit switches are built into the new style motors. Each one has two set screws. You turn each one either cw or ccw to set limits for rolling up or rolling down.

The one motor that had already been replaced in mine is the new style. The motor that ripped itself apart was also the old style, with limits separate. The replacement motor I got for it is new style.

Lynn
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:27 AM   #27
Contributing Member

Progress

I took the failed shade motor to the dealer this morning. It has to be sent back to Airstream to prove that it is locked up. If Airstream has one in stock, I should have a replacement in maybe 10 days. Otherwise, it may take as long as 30 days.

I did a little checking and found that the motor can be replaced with a spring mechanism for $25 to make it a spring-loaded pull-down shade. If one ever fails past warranty, that is what I will do. I can put a pull-tab on the bottom of the shade and go from there. Beats $125 for a replacement motor and is very unlikely to ever fail.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-24-2020, 03:36 PM   #28
Contributing Member

Poor assembly

I had been wondering why the shade motor failed. I found the problem and fixed it.

The two tracks on the front end of the shade had been installed way too close to the window box at the bottom. The nighttime shade would drag on the window box and would tilt and pop out of the track. When the nighttime shade was raised, it would jam the day shade roller and prevent it from turning. That, in turn, would destroy the gears in the day shade roller.

The problem was not obvious until I removed the window box from the wall and could clearly see the tracks. The fix was removing two small screws and aligning the tracks a bit further from the window box surface.

I suspect this is not a unique case of poor assembly.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-24-2020, 06:06 PM   #29

Airstream - Other
I was wondering about that one mine, too, but there were three screw holes in the surround, not just one or two. One of the three was near the edge, though didn't show sign of failure per se, not any worse than the other two.

When I reinstalled, I put a single screw in, but also ran a nice bead of glue under the bracket to help things stay together better.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I had been wondering why the shade motor failed. I found the problem and fixed it.

The two tracks on the front end of the shade had been installed way too close to the window box at the bottom. The nighttime shade would drag on the window box and would tilt and pop out of the track. When the nighttime shade was raised, it would jam the day shade roller and prevent it from turning. That, in turn, would destroy the gears in the day shade roller.

The problem was not obvious until I removed the window box from the wall and could clearly see the tracks. The fix was removing two small screws and aligning the tracks a bit further from the window box surface.

I suspect this is not a unique case of poor assembly.