Old 05-20-2020, 08:16 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Raleigh , North Carolina
Patching roof holes in my Interstate.

Being relatively new to this forum, my search skills are severely lacking. I have a project to do: cleaning up and patching holes in the roof of my Interstate before mounting new solar panels. Can someone point me to a thread or threads on the best techniques for cleaning and patching on the roof? Many thanks in advance!

StephensNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Can you supply a bit more detail, perhaps with a few pictures? Holes from what cause? Normal equipment penetrations, or corrosion? Located where? How big? To accommodate what size of solar array attached using what method?

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:07 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Raleigh , North Carolina
Attachment 368399
I plan to add two 100w panels, perhaps Renogy, on this rear portion of the roof. Visible are three locations for the tripod feet of the original television receiver. Additionally, there are four connections made for a tracking antenna that I have just removed. There are also penetrations for the cable, now cut, and for original equipment including the awning. I hope to clean all or most of this up. I also noticed that the roof as caved a bit under the weight of the last antennae. The forward most attachment points were not over a rib or structural member of the roof. Each of these mounts have 8 small screws.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I'm getting the message "invalid attachment".
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:28 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Raleigh , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I'm getting the message "invalid attachment".

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2877.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	368418
Did this work?
Old 05-21-2020, 09:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephensNC View Post
Attachment 368418
Did this work?

Yes
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:43 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
I removed the factory solar from my Flying Cloud and installed new panels. I patched the factory screw holes with Eternabond tape. I covered the 1” cable entry with a patch cut from aluminum flashing attached with Sikaflex 221 with Eternabond over that.

The new panel brackets are 3M VHB (very high bond) double stick taped to the roof. See AM Solar videos about this. No new holes required except for the new cable entry.

When I did this job AM Solar did not suggest calking the edges of the tape. A year later they did, so I calked all the VHB and Eternabond edges with Sikaflex.

After three years this installation has been leak-free and bullet proof. The Flying Cloud is garaged when it’s not on the road.

The Eternabond roller tool may seem extravagant but I think it's worth it. The somewhat less expensive knockoffs are probably fine.

If you have calk to remove I highly recommend “plastic razor blades”: Amazon and others.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I’ve never done it but you should be able to weld in new patch panels. Go slow and only do a little bit at a time letting it cool between welds.

The fiberglass should keep you from setting the van on fire. If you want to go faster you could also drop some dry ice in the hole before you start which should displace the oxygen in the ceiling.

LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote