Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2015, 09:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chicago , Illinois
Parking brake release

Hi all, I just picked up my new airstream interstate lounge ext two days ago and I love it BUT...the Kenwood DNN991HD (which seems fantastic if I only knew how to access it's features) requires that the parking brake is on in order to access the keyboard. I applied the parking brake and now the brake won't release. The release button goes in but the brake is still on and the dashboard light indicates that as well. Has anyone else had this problem any if so, is there a simple fix that I'm missing? Great forum by the way!
buz118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Welcome to the Airforums.

To release the parking brake, you need to pull up, depress the button, and lower it to the fully released position. It works like a lot of two seater sport car parking brakes.

Enjoy your new conveyance.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:37 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
I knew right after I pushed submit that my post wouldn't read well. I was hoping that there was some correlation between the Kenwood requiring the parking brake being applied (keyboard access) and the brake not releasing properly. I've owned manual transmission vehicles before and have used the handle type parking brake numerous times but I guess I just have a defective brake. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Maybe they didn't connect the wire from the parking brake to the radio so the radio can't tell when the brake is engaged.

My Tahoe has a speed senser that disables the nav entry capability. Real PITA.

BTW, you can edit for up to 30 minutes after you post.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:05 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
il , Illinois
Also unlike other parking brakes that I am used to, you can actually push the parking brake lever down without pushing the button. So, if you are not pressing the button hard enough, it won't release the parking brake and you will just push the lever down.
mmmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:18 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
On mine, I have to push the button and yank up HARD. Sometimes it takes me 2 or 3 tries to release it.
Lineolated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:55 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Thanks again for the input. I will keep trying maybe I've been a little too gentle because it is new and it may have been sitting on the dealer's lot for a while also, who knows.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Found that my brake releases better if I add a little pull to the left when lifting handle....otherwise I look I am having a temper tantrum when I release the brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-02-2015, 09:19 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
Hi Buz118. I had the same exact problem. I tried to play with the stereo, which required the brake to be in place and I couldn't get it to release. The trick is to pull up really, really hard...way past the point you think you should need to. Then it should release when you push the button. Apparently this is normal, but it's very odd in my opinion and not like any car I have ever owned before. Mercedes dealership confirmed this was normal operation.
migriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:31 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
I got it working now yahoo! Migriffin, that is exactly what I needed to do. My thanks to everyone here for helping me through this and I am looking forward to many great road trips with my new Airstream Interstate. I am so glad that I found this forum, the information available here is very helpful and the contributors are very kind to newbies with problems that are old news for RV veterans (parking brake issues). Stay safe and I'll see you on the road !
Old 06-05-2015, 04:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
I learned the hard way on this in a panic. If you have the swivel seat package for the driver's seat then you have what is called a "folding" parking brake. That means you can set the break and then push the button in to lower it back down so you can then swivel the seat and still have the brake on. That gives you the false impression that you have released the brake but that it is still on. What you have to do is pull it back up a tad higher than before and push the button in again to release it. To me it seemed rather hard to do to the point I won't put the brake on unless I have to.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Maybe mine's broken but I can push mine down without depressing the button. Otherwise it operates as Davydd explained.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:29 PM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Maybe mine's broken but I can push mine down without depressing the button. Otherwise it operates as Davydd explained.
Not broken, it's supposed to do that. Pushing it down without depressing the button leaves the parking brake ON but gets the lever out of the way of rotating the seat. Pull up again farther than before and press the button while pushing down to disengage the parking brake.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:20 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2019 ​Interstate Nineteen
Prince George , Virginia
This is great, I panic but problem solved, got to put your back to it pulled it up hard , push the button and press it down then it release, I probably will not park on the hill any more.
mcintoshMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:46 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
On many occasions, I am very critical of my AS dealer's expertise. But when it came to the parking brake lever, they smart enough to put 2 decals - 1 right on the brake lever and 1 right above ignition key. They probably knew that even though I am a retired engineer, I don't ever RTFM or Instructions until I end up breaking it. BTW I still did not know the exact wording on those 2 decals until reading it just now prior to typing it below

It says - "Folding handbrake lever Release, see Operating Instructions".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190727_232950.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	347798   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190727_233035.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	609.5 KB
ID:	347799  

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:29 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Prince George , Virginia
I totally agree, the manual does not tell you to pull the lever up steady past the previous position where you set the brake, push and hold the release button and steadily lower the hand brake lever.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:02 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
That is how it was years ago!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:35 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintoshMD View Post
I totally agree, the manual does not tell you to pull the lever up steady past the previous position where you set the brake, push and hold the release button and steadily lower the hand brake lever.
MCINTOSHMD - Well, even though I have known through the years prior to owning this Sprinter how to operate this type of parking brake, tonight I finally did RTFM. While it is not worded the way you stated it above, the MB Sprinter Manual does give very detailed instructions with pictures. I now fail to see how else they could have said/illustrated it better if folks just read the manual. Gonna have to take MB's side on this one

"To release the parking brake: on vehicles with a folding brake lever, first pull brake lever (1) up to the stop.

Raise brake lever (1) slightly and press release knob (2).

Guide brake lever (1) down to the stop. The ((P)) Park indicator lamp in the instrument cluster goes out."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Annotation 2019-08-03 231500.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	348510  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
MCINTOSHMD - Well, even though I have known through the years prior to owning this Sprinter how to operate this type of parking brake, tonight I finally did RTFM. While it is not worded the way you stated it above, the MB Sprinter Manual does give very detailed instructions with pictures. I now fail to see how else they could have said/illustrated it better if folks just read the manual. Gonna have to take MB's side on this one

"To release the parking brake: on vehicles with a folding brake lever, first pull brake lever (1) up to the stop.

Raise brake lever (1) slightly and press release knob (2).

Guide brake lever (1) down to the stop. The ((P)) Park indicator lamp in the instrument cluster goes out."
ALEX - Great info - thanks for posting. All owners should get a PDF copy of the owners manuals for their vans, both Mercedes and Airstream. They are much easier to use when looking for something specific.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:43 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Prince George , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
ALEX - Great info - thanks for posting. All owners should get a PDF copy of the owners manuals for their vans, both Mercedes and Airstream. They are much easier to use when looking for something specific.

I still try not to use it, superstitious, may be. It’s a cold sensation when MB road assistance said my AI need to be towed and I am in the corner in my backyard, I don’t think the tow truck can wiggle their way in there. But thank you lesson learned;-)

Name:	IMG_1317.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	597.5 KB
ID:	348690