Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2017, 12:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2021 25' Globetrotter
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Depere , Wisconsin
outside shower

No water at outside water connection...hot and cold. I have tapped the QC valve as suggested since it might have seized....with no change. any other suggestions?
summerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Is there a check valve? If so, it may be backwards.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Did you check to see if the on off button/knob on the showerhead is in the on position?
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
On my 2014.5 Lounge, the lines to the outside shower tap directly off the lines to the galley faucets and are not over a foot long for the hot (red) and 6" for the cold (white.) There are no cutoff valves or check valves , just a Tee in the line. I can see the lines by removing the bottom drawer in the galley.

I just shot this photo this morning because the cold connection to the shower is leaking. The fridge is on the left and the microwave above.

The dealer is going to fix the leak next week under warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170213_125133.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	279748  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Oy vey, I do not like that line construction. It may be industry standard or close to it, but if there's one thing my husband and I have learned through all our DIY adventures, it's that every linear component in an Interstate must be able to bend so that it does not eventually break.

Our first great Interstate endurance test occurred when we discovered that our pre-owned rig had come to us with a totally shattered gray water plumbing system (which our pre-purchase inspector had failed to document), apparently because Airstream developed and installed it without incorporating the kind of flexure ability that must be a part of any design that is subjected to harsh road vibrations and impacts (e.g., pot holes). We back-built it to include flexible rubber in-line couplings and gaskets (blog series here), and it has worked perfectly ever since (about 2 years).

Similarly, in the collage I posted above, you'll see that the replacement, intervening line segment for our outdoor shower is now a flex line. PEX is an excellent product but it's not flexible at all over short segments. That suggests that, in a chronic vibrational scenario, a lot of undesirable energy is going to get transmitted to the fittings. And the fittings may eventually end up breaking, or at least leaking (once again I'm having vivid flashbacks to the materials science course I took in grad school).

Edit: I actually posted the collage pic in Pahaska's other thread referencing the leaking shower connection.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
1. Is the sink working?
2. Is the pump turning on?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:50 AM   #7
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Oy vey, I do not like that line construction.
The cold routing is not terrible. I do not like the hot connection at all. A connection like the hot connection here flooded my first Airstream, an International 22. There was a misaligned 2" stub that connected to the city water inlet. Some near freezing weather and the plastic city water inlet cracked.

I will never use the outside shower except that I have a little curly hose to connect the shower outlet to the tank flush. That way, I can use the internal water and pump to flush at state parks where there is no water or at hookups without moving the city water hose.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Westerville , Ohio
Have you tried using a screw driver or something similar to depress the QC valve with the water turned on and nothing connected? That valve has to be depressed in order for water to flow. If water flows when you depress with the screw driver but not with the shower line connected, then possibly an incorrect connector not depressing the valve?
Old 02-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2021 25' Globetrotter
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Depere , Wisconsin
outside shower

Everything works on my interstate.ie sink, pump etc. I have depressed the QC valve without success. I think the valve is defective or blocked. Since I'm on a trip, I'll fix upon return home.
summerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Summerwood... You DO REALIZE ...I hope, that the hand-wand has an ON/OFF valve contained upon it?

I ask because I too as a noobie thought my outside shower defective, ... until I saw the dial on the backside of the handwand had an index-detent marked upon it... so I twisted that and ...VOILA!
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:50 PM   #11
Contributing Member

Fixed

The dealer fixed my water leak today under warranty. It appears that the previous owner may have allowed water to freeze in the lines to the shower and the plastic cold water fitting had cracked.

That's 50 miles and 4 hours I won't get back.
WBCCI #9632