Old 07-05-2020, 04:04 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St auguatine , Florida
Outdoor Shower How To

Iíve never used the outside faucets on my 2018 AI but would like to now. The unit did not come with a shower head hook up just a garden hose head with a pointy end where it is to be connected..? Problem is, it doesnít screw in. The manuals are of no help and a tag inside says to tap the hook up with a screw driver . How hard should I hit it? This doesnít make sense to me and I donít want to break anything that isnít already possibly broken. I am hooked up to water and have water in the tank & in van plumbing working fine. Nothing happens when I turn the hot and cold nobs.
Also, assuming I get past this, Iíd love to see ideas for easy outside PRIVATE shower set ups .
Thanks

carpenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:14 PM   #2
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I have the same year GT. To insert the hose, you must push back on the ring around the socket for the hose while pushing the "pointy end" (your words) into the socket. It is hard to insert. No water can come out unless the hose is inserted.

Mine didn't have a spray head, either. I just put a garden spray head on that I had laying around. I never use it for showering, anyway. I have used it to rinse mud off things and that's about all.

My main use for the outside shower is to fill my fresh water tank while hooked up at an RV park. I plug in the shower hose without the spray head, stick the end of the hose into the fresh water fill opening, and turn on the cold water. That saves me moving the main hose.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:19 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Madison , WISCONSIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
My main use for the outside shower is to fill my fresh water tank while hooked up at an RV park. I plug in the shower hose without the spray head, stick the end of the hose into the fresh water fill opening, and turn on the cold water. That saves me moving the main hose.
Good tip, thanks for sharing.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:52 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
Google outdoor RV shower tent. Plenty of inexpensive solutions to purchase.

Generally I just shower in bathing trunks with my outside shower head.
idoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:02 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I have the same year GT. To insert the hose, you must push back on the ring around the socket for the hose while pushing the "pointy end" (your words) into the socket. It is hard to insert. No water can come out unless the hose is inserted.

Mine didn't have a spray head, either. I just put a garden spray head on that I had laying around. I never use it for showering, anyway. I have used it to rinse mud off things and that's about all.

Thanks @Pahaska ! I hammered into the socket a few times and it released water so my next step was getting the end of the hose in. ( itís not pointyóyouíre right) I had to jam it in as screwing it did not work. I hope that is right! ??Now, I canít get it out! Irritating! All they had to do was provide instructions. This is my first RV so I am always coming at these things from 0.
Great idea re using it to fill holding tank. Thank you.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
I'm not certain, but it sounds like a standard house hose connector. The female end has a collar that has to be retracted (pushed back) to enable the male end to slide in and be held in place when the collar is released. Sometimes you can just push the two pieces together, but to disconnect you must push back on the collar and pull the male end out.
Keep the male end clean from dirt as there is an o-ring seal on it that will leak if damaged
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Outside shower

I have a 2018 AI and the ouside shower is absolutely worthless. I get a little more than adribble. Not enough to rinse the mutts off. I have not tried to diagnose the problem but it only has a 1/4 supply line so I am assuming that is the problem. Input welcomed.
Sgilcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:18 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2020 30í Globetrotter
Phoenix , Arizona
I have a 2020 GT, it has a shower head with a hook. I use it for two things.

Rinse out coffee grounds so they won't go down the drain. I'm trying to grow a coffee bean plant.

When dry camping I sit on a short stool in my swim trunks and take a shower. It works perfect and doesn't fill the gray water tank.

Enjoy your GT
Rootbeer2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
carpenc
I too have to fight to get the shower hose connected and dis-connected. I just went out and put some faucet grease on the nipple and worked it a few times and it is now easier to push the sleeve in to engage/disengage.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:39 AM   #10

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Nixa , Missouri
I thought the outdoor shower took a special quick connect hose. Just purchased a used coach that didn't have a hose.
Dlongworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:31 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Cedar Rapids , Iowa
This isn’t the best video but about 4:23 he pulls on the coupler to remove the hose. This is how your hose should connect and disconnect.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...36&action=view
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:32 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgilcrest View Post
I have a 2018 AI and the ouside shower is absolutely worthless. I get a little more than adribble. Not enough to rinse the mutts off. I have not tried to diagnose the problem but it only has a 1/4 supply line so I am assuming that is the problem. Input welcomed.

Hi - you should have plenty of flow coming out of your outdoor shower hose. I've used mine to wash the AI before. I know the water line has a shutoff valve close to the water pump (under the furnace) so maybe that is mostly closed on your rig...or maybe there is debris in the line? That reminds me, I need to check the removable screen filter on my water pump for algae buildup or other debris.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:38 AM   #13
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Wink

The feed for the outside shower is 3/8 internal PEX just like the sink or shower. If you have low flow, the valve is probably partially shut off. I use mine to fill my fresh water tank.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:07 AM   #14

Nixa , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
This isnít the best video but about 4:23 he pulls on the coupler to remove the hose. This is how your hose should connect and disconnect.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...36&action=view
Thank you. I had assumed it was a special connection instead of a standard quick connect.
Dlongworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:12 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
carpenc
I too have to fight to get the shower hose connected and dis-connected. I just went out and put some faucet grease on the nipple and worked it a few times and it is now easier to push the sleeve in to engage/disengage.

Thank Titus, I will try again to get the hose out tomorrow if it ever stops raining here!
Old 07-10-2020, 09:14 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
I'm not certain, but it sounds like a standard house hose connector. The female end has a collar that has to be retracted (pushed back) to enable the male end to slide in and be held in place when the collar is released. Sometimes you can just push the two pieces together, but to disconnect you must push back on the collar and pull the male end out.
Keep the male end clean from dirt as there is an o-ring seal on it that will leak if damaged
JCW

I will try again when/if it stops raining. First I couldnít get the hose in, now I canít get it out! Ha! Thank you.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:36 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
I don’t know if this will help at all but I had the water intake source on full tilt and only had a trickle too until I continued to hammer the interior of the valve. Third time: gushing! The tab inside says you can use a screw driver ( insert into valve) and pound a few times to open for water flow.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:38 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Thank you. My previous experience with hoses was standard ( old fashioned?) screw -together so this series of videos was very helpful .