Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2022, 11:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Out of warranty work

So, I'm finally out of warranty and need an alternative for service as My Mercedes dealership is just a nightmare. Has anyone found another source for sprinter service.

The battery warranty is 2 years. My first one was replaced in warranty. The replacement is now bad after 1 1/2 years but they don't begin a new warranty when it's replaced in warranty so they are telling me I'm out of warranty....$500-$550 for new battery that will have the 2 year warranty. 1- 1/2hours labor because it's "not just a drop in battery!" There was an X employee that opened a shop but he won't work on sprinters.

As a side note, I do now have the switch off for the fusion and will order a meter after this new battery is in to see if there are any other parasitic drains . Has anyone detected any other than the fusion?

Was also recently at Airstream and they said Mercedes is well aware of the battery problem and that Airstream has been after them to come up with a solution. They said it's the engine computer system that drains the battery and Mercedes knows this.

Mercedes says either drive it every week or put a trickle charger on it, but I don't have option for electric at lot. I have a 2 week trip coming up where I won't be able to check on it for about a month. Mercedes says if battery disconnected, it would require resync with al the components attached to it! It feels like I have no good options except to buy my own land and build storage with electric which is actually something I'm doing but the market is too crazy for me to get anything at a decent price. Never had a vehicle cost me this much money just to keep it going...
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
And one more thing. My key will not open driver's door...I have to use key fob. It does open rear door. So they want to take door off and investigate...I said no thanks ..surely another $500+ .I'll crawl in thru the back if I have to. It's always something.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:17 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
FOOTHILLS , AB
There is a battery disconnect switch above the gas pedal. It's in the manual.

Switching off the power supply
Battery main switch to the left of the center console
X Remove the key from the ignition lock and
wait for at least five minutes.
X Press button ; in the direction of the arrow
and hold.
X Pull connector : from the ground pin.
X Push connector : as far to the side as possible
so that it cannot make contact with the
ground pin.
All starter battery consumers are disconnected
from the power supply.

As for the battery, there is nothing special about it and can replaced by anyone, even yourself.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:15 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
san diego , California
I pulled out the Fusion Infotainment and have no more ‘Lowish’ battery voltage problems. I replaced it with a 13” iPad which has so much better Nav and much more.
The Fusion fan would run for an hour to cool the unit after I stopped. I expect this is also a serious contributor to the power consumption in addition to the parasitic draw
My DC to DC charger charges my chassis battery after it is finished charging my 400 ah Lithium batteries.
CorkWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:21 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
san diego , California
I had the same door issue on my 2016 chassis. Go search the forum for my detailed description of what to do. You will not necessarily need to take the door apart. All you need to do is to remove the 3 bolts holding the lock in place and wiggle the lock out.
CorkWins is offline   Reply With Quote