Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2020, 03:49 AM   #1641
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Dumb question, but how are you getting under there to work?
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:16 AM   #1642
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
I like the idea of using connectors. Wish I had done that when I replaced mine. Next time.....
I was going to eliminate that hose using the reducer and tying into the other end’s fitting with 3” pipe, but the misalignment was too extreme to fit up properly....in my case. Also was concerned about the assembly becoming rigid and not absorbing road shaking without opening up some leaks in the future.
Managed to get the hose to seal without using half a tube of silicone caulk.
Jury still out... also used less silicone than what the factory used... will check today after giving the silicone enough time to cure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
Not to bad... used some of that foam floor tiles. Laying on my back there was ample access to the area without the need to lift. Even forgot to lift the air suspension... But it was fine.

Not too many tools that are needed: a 12mm long socket, short extension, ratchet, screwdriver (socket type so you can use it without the tip... the socket will work better to undo the clamps)... wire cutters, crimping tool, wire terminals, tape... a heat gun, to soften that small side hose, is the way to go... and silicone.

Oh, and a low profile container... I flushed the system 4-5 times before tackling this... but still...

And so much better to do this in the comfort of my driveway than somewhere during a trip out...

Lesson learned from this experience? s*** happens and you just have to deal with it....

Oh, that and maybe I should add rose petals to my diet... ufff... One more, when doing this, make sure the wind is blowing the smell away from you and not to your face...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:30 AM   #1643
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
FWIW, make a set of these from any scrap lumber you have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0260.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	615.2 KB
ID:	377919  
Old 09-07-2020, 02:19 PM   #1644
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Thanks.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:43 PM   #1645

Orlando , Florida
Updated Fusion again...

WBCCI #26769
Old 09-18-2020, 10:31 PM   #1646
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Our Journey Begins - 2018 AI TB Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Updated Fusion again...

Geez you guys!

Especially you Wachuko !!

I see all of your beautifully documented upgrades, (you know who y’all are) and recognize I am not living a full life!

How am I spending my time?

Clearly I’m not accomplishing all the stuff you guys are accomplishing with your van improvements!!!

Oy..

Name:   Adjustments.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  27.1 KB
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:14 AM   #1647

Orlando , Florida
ScottP,

If I remember correctly, you change them before needing any updates/upgrades!!!! Hahahahhaha

When are you planning on moving to the new one? Many good upgrades with those. I am still working on trying to convince my wife to move to a new GT.... but she is of the mindset that if we change it, it will be for a Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed...
WBCCI #26769
Old 09-20-2020, 06:01 PM   #1648
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
So glad you posted the update. I finally got my new Fusion...omg...night and day. So old one had bad breaker, my speaker blew and melted. Anyway, I need to update maps....was driving "off road" according to fusion. Are you buying a new micro SD for each update? Seems I recall it has to be totally blank. Next...I want to finally get the switches put in to turn it off. My phone synced with the new fusion...it would not sync with old one. But if someone calls or texts in the middle of the night...the fusion turns on and lights up the place.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:21 AM   #1649

Orlando , Florida
So glad that it is working now for you. Those are great news.

I use the same microSD card... well, I borrowed the one that is in the dash cam... I do not have a dedicated one for just the Fusion.
WBCCI #26769
Old 09-21-2020, 04:32 AM   #1650
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Our Journey Begins - 2018 AI TB Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
ScottP,

If I remember correctly, you change them before needing any updates/upgrades!!!! Hahahahhaha

When are you planning on moving to the new one? Many good upgrades with those. I am still working on trying to convince my wife to move to a new GT.... but she is of the mindset that if we change it, it will be for a Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed...

Yes, that appears to be my pattern of ownership [emoji4]

Change - I must be getting old ... like really old. Because I prefer the legacy style/layout/set-up more than the new unit. Except the upholstery on the new is appealing - that’s for sure.

Off topic: my adventure at this moment

I flew to Loreto Thursday to pick up my motorbike, abandoned (enclosed storage unit) with my son’s Triumph Tiger last March Covid.

Lovely trip riding back to the US ... met some nice Federali Policia...plus plenty of the typical military checkpoints (three over 300 miles yesterday)...

You know who might enjoy this? Pete! Wish you were here...

Sunday night Guerro Negro

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	379139

Sunday morning Loreto Departure

Name:	IMG_7090.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	379140

A brief (unexpected) stop [emoji4]

... the officer and I laughed quite a bit -

Name:	IMG_7103.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	548.6 KB
ID:	379142

Whoops I’m highjacking, my apologies

Oh I love Baja ... the people, the beauty, the seafood, the culture, and the low cost of living most.

Today from Guerro Negro to San Felipe...

Smiles... hmmm a twin bed eh? Have you considered a Dynamax?

Baja beauty

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	379143
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:25 AM   #1651

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
...Off topic: my adventure at this moment

I flew to Loreto Thursday to pick up my motorbike, abandoned (enclosed storage unit) with my son’s Triumph Tiger last March Covid.

Lovely trip riding back to the US ... met some nice Federali Policia...plus plenty of the typical military checkpoints (three over 300 miles yesterday)...

You know who might enjoy this? Pete! Wish you were here...

...Whoops I’m highjacking, my apologies

...Smiles... hmmm a twin bed eh? Have you considered a Dynamax?
No worries... not highjacking at all! I made a 13 day ride from Orlando to San Diego last year and was invited, by my same friends, to do one two week ago from Orlando to Seattle but turned down the invite because I was not going to enjoy it with the worry of COVID-19... They still made the trip and made sure to send me photos often to rub it in that I missed such a great trip, lol.

Here we are (there were five of us...) at the southwest most point of the US...

I am the odd one with the BMW 850 GSA... everyone else was riding Honda Gold Wings... maybe next year I will change mine for one as well... I am too short for the wild horse that I have now... too top heavy as well. Anyway... photos:

Next ride is from Orlando to Maine... I do not want to miss that one...

As to the next RV? Dynamax? Had not heard about those... but I just searched on them... nah... call me vain, but it has to look good... Did not like the looks of that one.

I like the looks of the Atlas and the Leisure Travel Van... what I do not want is something else to worry about so I do would not want any slide outs and I want a bed that is ready all the time. I do not want to be doing and undoing the bed. That is, if we ever go Class C...

I prefer the slick lines of the Airstream Interstate. A GT with more fridge and counter space would be just perfect for the two of us now... We can always modify the back to double beds like many have done (since Airstream stopped making that floorplan).

I always new this was our first RV, not our last... I plan to buy our last next... got to give it some thought... but we really love the look and feel of the Airstream and the ability to park anywhere with it. Something we would not be able to do with an LTV...

On a side note... one, smaller, that I was surprised with and we liked the interior and layout, was the Thor Sequence 20L... The outside, with the Dodge RAM Promaster. A smaller van, but we felt comfortable in it... and the bathroom as more comfortable than what comes in the AI... Setup with Truma.. huge lithium battery bank option(Re(Li)able Battery System by Mastervolt - a US$25K upgrade)... So much more comfortable than the AI 19 and, with discounts, less than a US$100K...

But we are just spoiled with the AI...

Anyway... back to normal programming. Stay safe and well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191013_100635.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	379153   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191013_100020.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	379154  

Name:	20191005_112438.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	379155  
WBCCI #26769
Old 09-21-2020, 08:49 AM   #1652

Orlando , Florida
Updating pending and improvements mods:
  • Above the cooler, I cannot plan to use any area for storage. Need all that area above it to be clear to be able to open it. There is something that I should be able to do on the side to maximize storage there. I liked what another owner did, he installed additional shelving there. Might look at doing something similar. Not lowering the side cushions is not an issue for us, we can keep those up if it allows for more storage, but I do not want to remove them either. The shelving can be built so that it is removable and allows for normal functionality of the side cushions when not in place.
  • Use a 1”x2”x Width of AI with a screen on it to place over the area where the cooler is… with the cooler in the back, the rear screen cannot go down all the way. So I want a flat and leveled surface where the screen can stop on and the rest be covered by an additional screen section… This should be an easy project... not even sure why it has taken me so long to do it... will tackle it next weekend.
  • Creating a shelf inside some of the cabinets for better use of space.
  • Replace the wood discs on the floor with the Turtle plates we got made
  • Make the covers for the side windows with Reflectix...with the blinds in the TB edition, shielding the inside from the heat is a challenge. Summer heat has started and I have not done this. Enough procrastinating. Wished I could do what InterBlog did with the better and fancier solution that involved two materials and some edging and sewing, but that is not going to happen... will be lucky if I even cut the Reflectix correctly
  • Buy and install a drain valve for the fresh water tank. Need to get the parts:
    • Compact/low profile 90 degree elbow, and valve with water hose adapter
  • Remove and replace chrome side trim. Parts arrived from Airstream have not had a chance to do this...
  • Install the ShowerMi$er...
  • Install cut-off switch for solar panels. Link
  • Build storage under AI for leveling blocks. Looking at some of those lift-top coffee table hinges to see if I can install those upside down and be able to pull down and out the base of where I store these... to make it easy to retrieve and store. Will still require a lock pin of some sort so it does not come down accidentally, but might work and make it easier for me... Plan is to do this in the area under the driver's step. Lots of space in there.
  • Install some shield/protection for the drain system... concerned with road debris taking out the gray/black pipes/hoses...
  • Install second Lagun base mount in front. Thinking of several places were this could be mounted. Looking at the base of the seat to see if that spot would work. Will report back when I have the AI back in front of the house. - Prototype done and working fine... now to make the final version of the base... it will be placed right behind the emergency brake.

Wishlist:
  • Quiet A/C from Advanced RV - got pricing information. Just need to decide when to pull the trigger. Also found out this weekend that a local dealer (I was looking at the LTV Unity Twin Bed) sells and install that Atwood quiet A/C... so not like I have to make the trip to Ohio to get it installed... There is now the offering from Coleman... not as quiet as the Atwood, but a heck of a lot quieter than what I have now. And more than half the price of the ARV (Atwood) unit
  • The less time I have to spend on the side of the dumping area the better… What I really want is to duplicate inside all the switches that control the dumping of the tanks... That way, if in the middle of the night or if it is raining outside, I see that the tank levels are high, I can dump black and gray tanks from the comfort of the inside of the AI. Why do we have to go outside to do that!!??
  • Add a light on the side where we have to do all the connections/hook ups (driver side). One just like what we have on the passenger side. LED patio light on the driver side that you turn on separately for when you have to deal with the hook ups or dumping in the middle of the night... Using an LED light with a magnet for now
  • RakAttach swing-away hitch - size large... to be able to swing away the Vespa...
  • The carrier that I have was meant for motocross/dirt bike... need something different for the Vespa's small wheels... looking at the VersaHaul VH-55 RO
  • Flexible solar panels replaced with more durable aluminum-framed and glass covered units. This will be done in a couple of years. For now just monitoring the output I get with them.
  • Replace inverter/charger with a Victron MultiPlus Compact 12/2000/80
  • Lithium batteries... just to replace the AGM... will install same capacity, not looking to run A/C. Just want a less prone to fail battery bank.
  • I had removed this from the wish list, but having experimented with one... I still want that E&P self-leveling system...
  • Build slider for ARB cooler. This will allow me to slide it out without needing to put up the bed every time. Still requires that I go outside and open the rear doors. I have to build a slider, cannot buy the one that ARB sells because I need it to slide out sideways. ARB's slider is designed to slide in a different direction. I also need it to slide only enough to clear the bed being down. Do not need it to slide all the way out. I also want the slider to be as close to the floor as possible since I cannot afford the complete setup to be any higher than what it is now. With the bed in seat/bench position, I can open the cooler from the inside, this is only for when I forget to get what I needed from the cooler before making the bed. Not a high priority as the bed can be easily raised enough to get why I need and just lower it back in place...
  • When the outside plug starts acting up, replace with a SmartPlug 30-Amp Inlet Connector Combo Kit
WBCCI #26769
Old 09-21-2020, 09:25 AM   #1653

Orlando , Florida
Hummm... noticed I had not share the work done on making a base for a Lagun table in a Lounge... as you all know, on a GT it is easy as there is a wall right behind the driver... On a Lounge I was trying to figure out where to place it so that it worked with all four chairs.

Here is my first attempt. Please excuse the crudity of this model...I did not have time to build it to scale or paint it....

The base of the driver's seat has two holes... I only needed to enlarge those to allow me to install rivet-nuts.

This gave me a place to secure the base.

Using some scrap 2x4 that I had, I made a mock up for a base...

And secured it in place with two bolts...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lagun Mount Base-1.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	379185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lagun Mount Base-2.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	379186  

Name:	Lagun Mount Base-3.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	379187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lagun Mount Base-4.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	379188  

Name:	Lagun Mount Base-6.jpg
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	379189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lagun Mount Base-5.jpg
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	379190  

Name:	Lagun Mount Base-7.jpg
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	379191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lagun Mount Base-8.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	379192  

WBCCI #26769
Old 09-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #1654

Orlando , Florida
I then installed the Lagun mount to that...

And tested the table... I want to replace the table with something much, much lighter... this sucker is just to frigging heavy... but anyway, it worked.

Boss giving it the okay...

And tested in our last outing...

What is needed now? I need to make a metal base that would attach to the same place. But the base will be shifted to right behind the emergency brake. This will provide more clearance for the driver seat to be turned around even if the table post is in place.

So the final base for the Lagun mount would look something like this. I will make it out of aluminum stock to make it strong and light... flat piece and a some square tubing to make the build simple...

I plan to add an additional mounting point to avoid having all the force on the side of the base of the driver seat. Not sure if I do that in the center of the rectangular tube/pipe or if I do an L-bracket behind it (on the flat stock)...

So will need some 6" x 4" x 1/4" wall 6061-T6 Aluminum Rectangle Tube and some 6" flat stock to the correct length.

Here is a quick rough sketch I just made to illustrate how it would look... simple to make and no welding required (because I do not have an aluminum welder)...

And it would be installed to the left of that panel that you see in the photo... right behind the emergency brake... This will also allow the back cover for the base of the seat to fall in place.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lagun Mount Base-9.jpg
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	379193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lagun Mount Base-10.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	379194  

Name:	Lagun Mount Base-11.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	379195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lagun Mount Base-12.jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	379196  

Name:	Lagun Mount Base-13.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	379197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lagun Mount Base-14.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	379198  

WBCCI #26769
Old 09-22-2020, 10:48 AM   #1655
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Looks great!
Old 09-23-2020, 02:21 PM   #1656

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Looks great!
Thank you!

Quick update:

Was able to get the materials, needed for the base, from the local Alro metal supplier...

The 4"x6" tube is 7" long to match the Lagun mounting plate

And had the back plate cut longer to play around with the position... 6" would have worked... had them cut it at 8". Just in case I want to add some additional rivet nuts to the seat base to secure that back plate with four bolts instead of just 2.

I do not have time to make a teak table now... so got a piece of panel from Lowes, that I will laminate with some of the left over matching TB laminate... It will not be as nice looking as teak, but it will be lighter than the current Corian table. I will look into making the teak table in a few months...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7128.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	379335   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7126.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	379336  

Name:	IMG_7118.jpg
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	379337  
WBCCI #26769
Old 09-23-2020, 08:42 PM   #1657

Orlando , Florida
A few more photos... nothing is bolted. I was just checking that everything works well before drilling holes.

I need to make sure the post clears the seat so I can turn the seat with the table in place...

Some velcro on the flat plate and the rear seat skirt should fit flush...

I do hope it is just not something else in the way for me to hit or trip over... but placement looks good to work with the table in different locations. We can move it to just the two seats, or four, or...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7137.jpg
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	379379   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7139.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	379380  

Name:	IMG_7140.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	379381   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7141.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	379382  

Name:	IMG_7142.jpg
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	379383   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7143.jpg
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	379384  

WBCCI #26769
Old 09-24-2020, 05:49 AM   #1658
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
We discovered on our trip to Canada that we need a third Lagun mount in our Interstate.

Right now we have:

- One up front to serve the passenger seat that swivels
- One amidships which allows the computer to use the television as a second monitor.

That configuration is adequate for solo travel, but both of those block the second occupant from doing a number of important things while the first occupant is working on the computer at either station. I can't make lunch if the stupid table is blocking access to the closet where the dry goods are stored. And it's just inconvenient to have the slider out of commission, especially because our current cellular antenna mast impinges on the rear barn doors, making ingress-egress a pain (we plan to fix that, too).

Therefore, I need to add a third Lagun mount at the back doors. The project is on my to-do list.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:06 AM   #1659

Orlando , Florida
InterBlog, we needed the mount in the front. But I did not wanted to go back to the post screwed in the base on the floor...

It was great turning the driver seat around to face that back and swivel the Lagun table between front and back seat. Or turning both seat to face back, sitting on the second two to watch a movie and swiveling the table in the middle to hold the wine and cheese.... if I needed to get out, swiveling the table out of the way.

We really like the flexibility that the Lagun mount brings. By placing the base behind the emergency brake I am trying to minimize having it in the way while being able to turn the front seat with the table in place...

I will know this weekend if it all works as planned.

But I was jut reading your other post on your friends selling their AI for what they had in it... We realized early on, when the kids stopped coming with us, that we want a GT....Maybe now would be the time to sell to make the switch to a 2021 AI GT....
WBCCI #26769
Old 09-24-2020, 09:33 AM   #1660
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
This is a nifty project, as I'd love to have a Lagun table instead of the standard pillar table. Sadly, Wachuko's forward mount looks like something a clumsy person like me would kill myself on by tripping over it repeatedly. I'm sure you thought about this and experimented before going with this mount, but I'll ask anyway: what about putting a Lagun mount on the outside wall behind the driver, forward of the second row of seats? Is there a mounting opportunity in that location?

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote