Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2019, 04:34 PM   #1561
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Poland , Ohio
All I see on the website is vehicles no generators.
Docevil87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:48 PM   #1562
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlik View Post
Can you use the ValvoMax for the generator or is it just for the engine?
.63 qts... come on!!

In all seriousness. I doubt they would have one for it. The plug has tapered threads... similar to how pipes are threaded... there is no seal washer. And it is a small size.

Even if there is one, you still have to get to it to install the drain adapter... so the work is almost the same...

I guess that one benefit is you would be less prone to damage the threads on the generator with an adapter like that...

No benefits on avoiding spills, have not had that happen to me... I remove the drain plug before removing the fill plug, so the flow is slow when I start to drain it.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:57 PM   #1563
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I prefer the Fumoto oil drain valves. They’re a bit slower than the ValvoMax but they appear to be very high quality valves to my engineering eye.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #1564
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Poland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
I prefer the Fumoto oil drain valves. They’re a bit slower than the ValvoMax but they appear to be very high quality valves to my engineering eye.
I have never used a Fumoto valve, but don't they have a petcock valve. I've heard if you hit something on the road just right it could open up that petcock valve, but what do I know i'm just a tooth mechanic.
Sounds like lots of people use them with no problems. I've only had the valvomax on for 2 weeks so there may be problems with it down the road. Who knows its always an adventure.
Docevil87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:22 PM   #1565
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
I like the removable magnetic plug (DrainPluMagenetics.com) that WACHUKO recommended coz I like to spoon up and wick the remaining oil that sits in bottom near drain plug hole that never drains even overnight. Amazing how much stays there and there is more that sticks around with any quick drain plug. With a once a year change based on my usage on all my vehicles, and my other cars being too low to safely put a quick drain plug (and definitely not recommended on my off-road truck), it won't benefit me to only have it in 1 vehicle. If I could have it (safely) in all my vehicles, I would love this thing. And the spillage thing won't matter to me either because with the exception of my MB vehicles, all the others have screw-on filters which always spills all over my hands. So I am stuck with the old-school method
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:37 PM   #1566

Orlando , Florida
I have been unsuccessful in changing the oil without a spillover... even when placing cardboard on the floor the oil would spill and make it to the driveway... I am soooo looking forward to testing this plug/system.

I will regret not having the magnetic plug...
WBCCI #26769
Old 09-06-2019, 05:14 PM   #1567
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
I have been unsuccessful in changing the oil without a spillover... even when placing cardboard on the floor the oil would spill and make it to the driveway... I am soooo looking forward to testing this plug/system.

I will regret not having the magnetic plug...
WACHUKO - I love that DIMPLE that you suggested. I finally got my last car on it this month. I found out the oil change pans I normally use for the cars are useless for the AI because AI sits so high and the volume of oil is so much more coming out so fast that the lip on most containers is not enough to contain splashovers. I also had problem with the hole on them not large enough to keep up, so I spilled over the lip the 1st time. So I now use Sterilite storage containers. I believe mine is the 25qt one. Just pick the tallest one that will still clear the oil pan. Then I use a funnel to put old oil in the 5qt. containers. Once drain plug is loose, I use an old thick athletic sock to remove it, then it falls inside sock and the first big oil rush gets funneled through the sock preventing even the slightest splash. Yeah, a few extra steps to take but does not really require more than couple more minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61ckWJZk+WL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	351475  
Old 09-07-2019, 08:14 AM   #1568

Orlando , Florida
Alex, I will give that a try before I switch... good suggestions
WBCCI #26769
Old 09-07-2019, 09:21 AM   #1569
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
.63 qts... come on!!

In all seriousness. I doubt they would have one for it. The plug has tapered threads... similar to how pipes are threaded... there is no seal washer. And it is a small size.

Even if there is one, you still have to get to it to install the drain adapter... so the work is almost the same...

I guess that one benefit is you would be less prone to damage the threads on the generator with an adapter like that...

No benefits on avoiding spills, have not had that happen to me... I remove the drain plug before removing the fill plug, so the flow is slow when I start to drain it.
Thanks. My unit is 2 years old now and I need to change the generator oil. Never use it except for the recommended periodic running, but I know I should change the oil at least once a year. Since it was going to be my first time I thought a drain plug might make the next time easier and less chance of spillage, and maybe someone found one that would work. But it seems there is no real advantage. I have no desire to mess around with changing the engine oil-been there done that on other vehicles and always too much oil and too messy.
orlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:02 PM   #1570
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I have only changed my generator oil once in five years and 40 hours. (Not saying that is wise, just reporting on what I've done!) I found that the hold in the bottom of the generator enclosure was not aligned with the oil drain plug. So a lot of the oil drained into the bottom of the enclosure and leaked out numerous places - a real mess. I find it easier to change 13 qts of engine oil than the small amount of generator oil. And yes, I do change the engine oil more frequently than I do the generator oil. I buy it in 16 gal drums and have just emptied my second drum.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:01 PM   #1571
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I have only changed my generator oil once in five years and 40 hours. (Not saying that is wise, just reporting on what I've done!)
TITUS - that ok, I did not change mine until 30 hrs. & 1 yr. myself and the oil was immaculately clean (surprised me). I was told I had to replace it way before 20 hrs. Oh, well, I was too lazy to work on the rv at 20hrs. so it had to wait
Old 09-08-2019, 11:01 AM   #1572
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I have only changed my generator oil once in five years and 40 hours. (Not saying that is wise, just reporting on what I've done!) I found that the hold in the bottom of the generator enclosure was not aligned with the oil drain plug. So a lot of the oil drained into the bottom of the enclosure and leaked out numerous places - a real mess.
I've got less than five 5 hours on mine so maybe I'll just wait until I get a few more hours. I hate running the thing but I know I should do it more often in the event I really need it someday. Good to know about the hole not aligned with the drain plug. It would have made me sick if I had spilled oil on my new brick paved driveway - completed last year for a parking pad for my AS.
orlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:27 AM   #1573
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I changed my generator oil after the break in period per recommendations at the Cummins dealer. He told me I didn't need to do it again until 200 hours. I told him, in that case, I'll probably never see you again. He didn't mention doing so every year or other. FYI
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #1574

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
I changed my generator oil after the break in period per recommendations at the Cummins dealer. He told me I didn't need to do it again until 200 hours. I told him, in that case, I'll probably never see you again. He didn't mention doing so every year or other. FYI
I did mine at break-in and then now at 28 hours... oil was still nice and clean... I tend to do these every year just to also check connections, and an excuse to look under the coach and find anything else that could use preventive care...

On other news... a couple of things that I need to look at... will try to fix them myself, if not, will add them to the list of items for the dealer to look at when I drop the AI on September 30. I so dread leaving it there... this would be the first time I do so... worried they will ruin my batteries...

1. Bumper protective clear film is all stained... has to be between bumper and clear film since not amount of polishing compound would make a difference...

2. Macerator leaking. I thought it was coming from one of the big hoses as it happened to another fellow member in the Facebook group, but it is not from there... seems to be from the actual macerator unit. I was not going to take that apart while at the camping site, wife would have killed me... it was supposed to be relaxing time, lol. A drop here and there... so it could wait... I circle the the floor where you can see the leak area...

Maybe from the small hose that comes out of the macerator??

3. VB Air Ride still acting up... has to be a loose connection or something...

4. PCS/EMS display not allowing me to set power source amperage (15, 20, or 30) and displaying None independent of the Power source... This one I am contacting PCI directly (thank you Alex) to see if I can get some guidance and also fix it myself...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0119.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	351755   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6291.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	351756  

WBCCI #26769
Old 09-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #1575
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
WACHUKO -
1. Hard to imagine the stain on the 3M bumper film is inside. If it wasnt there when new, it can't get through it. It has to be external. It looks like something organic that maybe similar to tree sap staining, which usually does not stain automotive paint but can etch itself into plasticy parts. Are you storing under fruit trees or similar?

2. When I dump tanks, I disinfect valve at end of hose with Simple Green and hose down the entire hose before reeling it in. That usually causes a fair amount of water to drip inside utilty compartment and right below the utility compartment drain hole. Are you sure it's not just the drain hole residue?

3. VB Air remote connects to under the driver's seatbase if you are going to attempt chasing it yourself. There are 4 wires inside the black coiled controller cable. You may want to lift it to its max height, park overnight and check, in the morning if you are losing lift/height. Also check if it is actually able to completely from completely slammed to full height in less than 3 mins. If you air tank is losing air, it will take much longer.

4. Good luck on PCS fix.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #1576

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
WACHUKO -
1. Hard to imagine the stain on the 3M bumper film is inside. If it wasn't there when new, it can't get through it. It has to be external. It looks like something organic that maybe similar to tree sap staining, which usually does not stain automotive paint but can etch itself into plasticy parts. Are you storing under fruit trees or similar?

That might be it... At home, while it was parked in the driveway, it was against a decorative ball-shaped tree/bush... FYI, Airstream has agreed to replace it.

Quote:
2. When I dump tanks, I disinfect valve at end of hose with Simple Green and hose down the entire hose before reeling it in. That usually causes a fair amount of water to drip inside utility compartment and right below the utility compartment drain hole. Are you sure it's not just the drain hole residue?

This was after it sat overnight... at first I thought the same, but the next day I could still see the drops coming down. Reason why I am thinking the small diameter hose at the point in connects with the macerator. I just could not get under it at the time, from that direction, to confirm. Need to do this to confirm.

Quote:
3. VB Air remote connects to under the driver's seatbase if you are going to attempt chasing it yourself. There are 4 wires inside the black coiled controller cable. You may want to lift it to its max height, park overnight and check, in the morning if you are losing lift/height. Also check if it is actually able to completely from completely slammed to full height in less than 3 mins. If you air tank is losing air, it will take much longer.

Much helpful, thank you!! Will take apart and confirm. Control is not working. I still hear the sound of the air suspension, you know that sound when it sits, the pssfffft.... and randomly, while driving, a sound and lights would appear, but I am too slow to grab it and see what it is doing... But when I stop and grab it, place the AI in park, lift the e-brake, look at the VB control and nothing... no blue light, no red light...nothing. Before I was able to lower it or raise it when parked. And last evening, before taking it to storage, when I was closing the sliding door... I see the darn blue light in the control on... I hope it is just the wires in the control acting up... will start there.

Quote:
4. Good luck on PCS fix.

See update in the thread - those folks from PCI are amazing to work with.
WBCCI #26769
Old 09-09-2019, 03:42 PM   #1577
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
4 wires inside VB Air controller
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190909_143723.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	353.0 KB
ID:	351791  
Old 09-09-2019, 10:32 PM   #1578
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
From what I’ve seen- engine running on propane run very clean, with oil staying much cleaner that gasoline (and much, much, much cleaner that diesel).

I don’t like running the generator very much- too darn noisy inside. But when needed...most of the time it is run fairly short, so every so often I fire it up and run it for a half hour or more. Generally before I go fill the propane (small tanks on the early models).

When I changed the oil (no idea when the PO did it) it looked almost new.
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:22 AM   #1579

Orlando , Florida
On my way to drop off the AI for warranty work... first time that I can't resolve the issues myself

1. Replace clear bumper film
2. VB Air Ride System not working
3. Macerator leaking
4. Will have the go over the heating pads. I had glued these back in place but I want them to look and see if what I did is the final fix or they will do something differently.
5. Power Control System display not showing amperage service.
6. Awning deploying by itself during or after rain... randomly happening. I know what the fix is but procrastinated... figured I will have them do it and, like Alex, redo it later correctly

Off we go... we will stop at a few RV places to look at other rigs just for research....

Have a great weekend!
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-02-2019, 02:00 PM   #1580

Orlando , Florida
Got a call that I can pick up my AI

1. Replace clear bumper film - Pending approval. Once they have it I will take it back for replacement. And here I thought it was approved before dropping it
2. VB Air Ride System not working - Fixed! Inline fuse was the culprit... not any of the two that you have on the side of the driver's seat... they will share location when I get there (I was on the phone with the manager, not the technician that did the work)
3. Macerator leaking - Bad seal. Pending approval. Once they have it I will take it back for replacement.
4. Will have the go over the heating pads. I had glued these back in place but I want them to look and see if what I did is the final fix or they will do something differently. - Pending approval. Once they have it I will take it back for replacement.
5. Power Control System display not showing amperage service. - Bad data cable. Waiting on additional information from Airstream and PCI Inc. as best course of action... then will have to take it back to get it replaced. Not as easy as redoing the terminals/connectors.
6. Awning deploying by itself during or after rain - Fixed. But yeah... I will go over it to see what they did and follow what Alex did on his...
WBCCI #26769