Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2022, 11:14 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Optimal streaming/TV in the Interstate?

Well, I’ll probably get this one booted off this section but hoping to pick your brains before it gets relocated.

We’ve been limping along without satellite cable since owning our Interstate. We have a Winegard dish. We can’t get Dish or Direct TV at our home due to tree cover, and it miffs me that the difference between monthly plans if you have a receiver at home is around $70 a month.

Also just venting a little, we had a cell plan with unlimited use and when we got new phones, they talked my significant other to sign up for a new plan, (who didn’t listen to my foot stomping of noooo next to him during the transaction). Of course, it ends up being a terribly watered down plan and very limited hotspot usage.

Some of you will say, unhook when camping and such, but I live with people who melt down if they can’t see their college sports team playing. Some of you will understand the dilemma. Some just won’t.

I’m fairly technologically advanced, and I know this question has been pondered enough on the forum. I just don’t want to continue trying to figure out the best and least expensive options out there. I didn’t mess with the situation as we didn’t have a lot of time to spend out and about but I’m ready to fix the problem and move on.

I have the Wally receiver which I couldn’t confirm if it will work with the Winegard satellite or not. I’m fine with buying a tailgater dish, Jetpack, or whatever I need to to make this work. I just want to have fairly easy hookup and not worry that I’m being throttled when we want to watch a movie. Is there any plan/situation out there that meets my probably unrealistic expectations? Any plans out there that allows for some TV viewing without throttling?

They are putting siding on our house in terrible winter conditions and I was stuck in the Airstream trailer for a day with the only thing to do was to catch up on some shows, and we have already met our monthly limit. Would like to have a better alternative than that. Suggestions are appreciated.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 01:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
Well, I’ll probably get this one booted off this section but hoping to pick your brains before it gets relocated.

We’ve been limping along without satellite cable since owning our Interstate. We have a Winegard dish. We can’t get Dish or Direct TV at our home due to tree cover, and it miffs me that the difference between monthly plans if you have a receiver at home is around $70 a month.

Also just venting a little, we had a cell plan with unlimited use and when we got new phones, they talked my significant other to sign up for a new plan, (who didn’t listen to my foot stomping of noooo next to him during the transaction). Of course, it ends up being a terribly watered down plan and very limited hotspot usage.

Some of you will say, unhook when camping and such, but I live with people who melt down if they can’t see their college sports team playing. Some of you will understand the dilemma. Some just won’t.

I’m fairly technologically advanced, and I know this question has been pondered enough on the forum. I just don’t want to continue trying to figure out the best and least expensive options out there. I didn’t mess with the situation as we didn’t have a lot of time to spend out and about but I’m ready to fix the problem and move on.

I have the Wally receiver which I couldn’t confirm if it will work with the Winegard satellite or not. I’m fine with buying a tailgater dish, Jetpack, or whatever I need to to make this work. I just want to have fairly easy hookup and not worry that I’m being throttled when we want to watch a movie. Is there any plan/situation out there that meets my probably unrealistic expectations? Any plans out there that allows for some TV viewing without throttling?

They are putting siding on our house in terrible winter conditions and I was stuck in the Airstream trailer for a day with the only thing to do was to catch up on some shows, and we have already met our monthly limit. Would like to have a better alternative than that. Suggestions are appreciated.
I am using https://www.fmca.com/index.php?optio...ctv2&view=home for several years now for all my entertainment and news uses some months run about 700gb. I also still have some of the original ATT Mobely plans which also provide unlimited data service.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 01:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
I have been studying packages from mobilemusthave.com. Cell packages are getting better / cheaper with time but streaming over cell with no wifi is still expensive.

I may go this way to improve cell and internet service. Frequently when we are on the edges of cell service the cg wifi also stinks so I am looking for cell and internet solutions mainly. If I also get to stream occasionally with cg wifi ok too.

I was looking at WiFi Ranger Converge systems but their modem is outside in the antenna and I thought the Pepwave router with modem inside is better.