Old 05-22-2020, 10:11 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lake Mary , Florida
Opened ceiling pictures

Hello fellows!

2015 Interstate Ext Lounge
I drove already 112,000 miles for the past 4 and half years.
Driving for pleasure.
Love my bus.

Discovering the tracks of water inside furniture compartments, I have searched the entire roof for leaks, and in order to find it I was forced to cut a square portion of the ceiling (later I will put it back nicely). While the ceiling is opened, I made few pictures for you guys.

Apparently, the water leak was found at the end of one of the uphill bas-reliefs on the roof, and it is very strange how it has happened if nobody and never walked on the top of the roof (beside Airstream workers at the assembly plant).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B5610F97-54A5-470C-9C23-C22A6CA03E3A.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	368508   Click image for larger version

Name:	9F3575F4-DFD1-4113-A524-6BA5B6AEE1A1.jpg
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	368509  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FA835709-BB2C-48CF-B5C0-245D2DB2CA41.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	368510   Click image for larger version

Name:	D3B1CF71-6627-4D5D-836C-266F074E5013.jpg
Size:	498.2 KB
ID:	368511  

Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Great post . . . thanks for your quality research and photos!

Curious to know the fix . . . and whether this defect shows any rust in the exterior paint above? Any other problem areas, perhaps from the body flexing during road action? Sheet metal too thin where those bas-reliefs are stamped in? This would be an actionable "hidden/latent design defect" IMO, which has only come to light after your warranty period has expired [one assumes]. I would ask Airstream to repair/reimburse you.

Good luck,

Peter

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:45 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
Also check if your year has the split plastic conduit covering any wiring on the roof. That's where we had a leak but luckily noticed it early and sealed it. Now it's one of the checks I do when waxing the roof twice a year.
Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Timely Post

Yes, Great Research!

We too have a 15 lounge with a leak that we're trying to track down.

For a reference point on your pictures, it appears that you removed the inside air conditioner cowling and took out the top panel directly aft of the a/c. Correct?

Could you post a picture from your roof top that shows the spot of the uphill bas-reliefs area your circled on your interior pictures #2 & 4?

TIA

Mark
Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Talking

Great signature by the way . . . been meaning to say so for years.

Adventure before Dementia!

Amen to that.

See you when we retreat to Club Bed!

Peter
Old Today, 01:17 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Lake Mary , Florida
Today Amazon delivered Sikaflex221 and Eternabond tape, which I used on the outside. Apparently there was no rust on very thin and 1 inch in length crack on the roof top. However I scrubbed it to the metal with my Dremel tool, caulked with Sikaflex, and once it dried I additionally covered it with few layers of Eternabond tape for extra protection. Both these substances give a hard seal and will be flexible. With this way of repair I eliminated the need of welding.

Unfortunately I already can’t make pics of the outside crack as it was very very thin, practically invisible, and is already covered. Peter suggested to ask Airstream to fix it, but I do not trust that they can fix it properly. And yes, metal sheeting is thin on the roof, but Mercedes states it is not a walking area and urges not to step on it. Yes, Ben, I have always check all conduits on top of the roof as they have tend to dry out from the sun.

One more valuable tip: Mark asked if I have removed the AC cover and the bottom part of AC frame - yes I did because at first I thought that my leak was from there, but everything appeared to be dry at the AC unit area. However I do not regret that I did remove it, because for years I was trying to find the “hummer boom” on the big bumps and I have finally found it - metal building-construction electrical receptical box, that was simply hanging inside the AC and hammered at every decent road bump ))). I think Airstream should control AC installers how they lay stuff. I am going to replace that metal box with a plastic one, and to tie it so it won’t fly around inside my AC unit anymore ))).
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Great update, thanks!

Peter
Old Today, 05:13 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Thanks Mr B, Appreciate the follow up on your fix!

Would you mind sharing how you removed your ceiling panel and your plan to reattach it?

TIA

Mark
Old Today, 07:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
We had a leak in the same area - water was dripping from the smoke or CO detector. Turned out the plastic cover of the awning wiring and antenna cable wiring was the culprit. The cover was sealed (or not) by a massive amount of caulk. It never leaked while sitting in our driveway (nose up) but always leaked if it rained while camping (nose down). When the van was parked nose-down the water following the wiring accordion sheathing into the van. JC solution was to replace the plastic cover and seal everything, including the space between the sheath and wire, with caulk. Not pretty to look at (fortunately only visible when on a ladder) but it has worked for 4-5 years now.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:49 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Our leak usually happens too when we are pointed nose down. We get water dripping from the right side of the dome light fixture inside the cab.

Initially I thought the water was coming from the antenna on the roof which is directly overhead of the cab light because the outside antenna boot was deteriorated.

When I replaced that boot and antenna assembly I found that there was no way for water to enter the cab from that location. While the exterior rim of the boot had cracked, the rest of the rubber gasket was firmly glued to the surface of the van and completely sealed the opening into the cab area!

And that assumption held true when it rained heavily and we still had the water drip out of the dome light assembly.

So I worked backwards from there and took the inside cover of the maxxair fan off. I found the thin wood laminate surrounding the fan opening to be wet and warped.

Now that the rain has finally stopped, I will get up on the roof and explore that fan opening area.