Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2019, 04:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Not All Diesels Require Smog Test ?

In Nevada, diesel vehicle smog testing used to be 8,500 lbs. or less. Then they increased that to include 10,000 lbs. or less. Now, it is 14,000 lbs. or less, which obviously includes my AI.

From DMVNV website:
Light-Duty Testing
Diesel-powered cars and trucks need an annual emissions test if they have a manufacturer's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 14,000 pounds or less, and new vehicles on their first and second registration are exempted; a test is required upon a vehicle's third registration
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:07 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Charlotte , North Carolina
My gas 2500HD is not smog tested in NC and I thought that was a Federal, not a state, thing.

Window sticker from GM did not list gas mileage either. I think all heavy duty trucks are exempt, diesel or gas. Not sure this is helpful for you, but maybe it will bump the post to someone who can help.
Al U. Minium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al U. Minium View Post
My gas 2500HD is not smog tested in NC and I thought that was a Federal, not a state, thing.

Window sticker from GM did not list gas mileage either. I think all heavy duty trucks are exempt, diesel or gas. Not sure this is helpful for you, but maybe it will bump the post to someone who can help.
AL U. MINIUM - thanks for this. It is kinda weird coz I thought all gas vehicles are smog tested nowadays. As far as my diesel Sprinter goes, its weird that just few years ago, same engine & gvwr would've been exempt but now it isnt. The direction NV is headed, in couple years, they would up the gvwr to 25,000 lbs.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:37 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
No smog testing in my Texas county (Hays), but there is smog testing, at least for gasoline engines, in neighboring Travis County.

Hays County is growing fast, but there is enough open space that it will hopefully be a while before the population density affects air quality enough to require testing. San Marcos, south of me, is one of the fastest-growing cities in the country.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:30 AM   #5
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
AL U. MINIUM - thanks for this. It is kinda weird coz I thought all gas vehicles are smog tested nowadays. As far as my diesel Sprinter goes, its weird that just few years ago, same engine & gvwr would've been exempt but now it isnt. The direction NV is headed, in couple years, they would up the gvwr to 25,000 lbs.
There is no smog testing and no inspections required in many of the Midwest states for any non-commercially-owned vehicles, gas or diesel. Commercial vehicles and OTR trucks are, of course, subject to various inspections by DOT, but not smog.
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
JOHN, 85MH325 - I asked a DMV rep who was helping me with a sale/transfer last week why the discrepancy and the apparent arbitrary weight changes with which vehicles are emissions/smog tested and she said (quoting from her handbook):

"Although the Environmental Protection Agency strives to enforce clean air practices nationwide, the EPA does not have the authority to enforce vehicle inspections. Instead, each state administers and determines requirements for smog and emissions testing."

Which explains why different states handle it differently and even within each state, some counties do not require it. I guess I just happen to luck out and every state I lived in requires it - AZ, CO, UT, CA, IL, IN, WI, NV
Old 09-09-2019, 09:33 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
Arizona does not require smog tests everywhere

We live in the outskirts of Maricopa county (Arizona). We are not required to have smog tests if we do not drive into the populated areas for work or school. I'm sure that'll change as the years go on.
iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Bullhead City , Arizona
I haven't checked the DMV website lately but I believe the diesel smog testing was only required in Washoe and Clark counties. This may apply to gas vehicles also.
Reno Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Classic View Post
I haven't checked the DMV website lately but I believe the diesel smog testing was only required in Washoe and Clark counties. This may apply to gas vehicles also.
RENOCLASSIC - For diesel testing, definitely Clark & Washoe counties only. For my gas vehicles since I moved here in 1999, Clark has been testing at least as far back.

I have 3 older vehicles in Classic Rod (20yrs), Classic (25yrs), and Old Timer (40yrs) status/plates and they rarely log 1,000 miles a year. They are exempt from emissions testing (up to 5,000 miles a year).
Old 09-09-2019, 12:02 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
In California, diesels don't require smog checks or certificates-although there are some confusing if/then rules. We've had three diesel trucks over the years and never had to do a smog check. Cars are smog checked but you pay an "abatement" fee for the first 8 years, then have to have the checked every other year after that.

Anyway, here if you owe the DMV something (money, smog certificates, whatever...), they will let you know. Your annual registration bill comes showing exactly what else you do need to include.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:27 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Only the 3-4 large metro city areas in TX require testing, Houston, Dallas, etc. The rest of the state actually has their freedom un-infringed (is that a word).
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwebs View Post
In California, diesels don't require smog checks or certificates-although there are some confusing if/then rules. We've had three diesel trucks over the years and never had to do a smog check. Cars are smog checked but you pay an "abatement" fee for the first 8 years, then have to have the checked every other year after that.

Anyway, here if you owe the DMV something (money, smog certificates, whatever...), they will let you know. Your annual registration bill comes showing exactly what else you do need to include.
ATWEBS - we lived in Silicon Valley for 10 yrs before moving to NV but did not own diesel vehicle then. I remember the "every other year" check. When we lived in Chicago, it was every year but the testing was done by the state smog stations, so freebie (at least at that time). I surprised NV & IL is stricter than CA considering CA set the stage for the entire emissions testing regulations to start.

The great thing about NV is the smog testing stations are just that, they only do testing and the computers are connected straight to DMV in real time. They are not repair facilities, so there is very little incentive for them to fail a good car just to make a quick buck. If they did, the trend line will quickly show in DMV. That happened to me in Cal where a facility tried to fail me, luckily I caught on to the scam.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbashin View Post
un-infringed (is that a word).
TBASHIN - you are correct, it is.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwebs View Post

Apparently those rules have changed, at least in Sonoma county which is just over the hill from you in Napa (I grew up there ). Anyway, diesel vehicles are now required to have a biannual inspection and the new vehicle grace period doesn't apply to them. I purchased my 2017 F250 diesel new and my latest registration just arrived with a requirement for a smog certification.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Limited
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
santa rosa , California
I find the smog rules are interesting. One volcano does more to the atmosphere than all the vehicles together. I understand cattle and cows flatulent is a huge factor also. Now the governor moonbeam of California has decreed any diesel over 26,000 lb or 2004 or older will need to meet and use DEF in their motor or have the motor replaced if it can’t be added. Or the DMV will not allow the vehicle to be re-registered. Now that is brilliant. So I now reg my rv Diesel out of state. It was cheaper to buy a home with the tax and reg savings than to buy a new motor. Calif gives new meaning to the word insanity.
tojimmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #16
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tojimmiller View Post
I find the smog rules are interesting. One volcano does more to the atmosphere than all the vehicles together. I understand cattle and cows flatulent is a huge factor also. Now the governor of California has decreed any diesel over 26,000 lb or 2004 or older will need to meet and use DEF in their motor or have the motor replaced if it can’t be added. Or the DMV will not allow the vehicle to be re-registered.
Your volcano anecdote is not true according to the US Government.

Quote:
Human activities emit 60 or more times the amount of carbon dioxide released by volcanoes each year. Large, violent eruptions may match the rate of human emissions for the few hours that they last, but they are too rare and fleeting to rival humanity’s annual emissions. In fact, several individual U.S. states emit more carbon dioxide in a year than all the volcanoes on the planet combined do.
Full details here: https://www.climate.gov/news-feature...man-activities

Yes, cattle farming is an issue . Lamb, pork, and chicken are better in terms of emissions reductions.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by tojimmiller View Post
Calif gives new meaning to the word insanity.
TOJIMMILLER - Wow, yes insane. Makes me glad I moved out of Cal.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Gov Moonbeam? If you are referring to Gov. Brown, he is the former Governor. I was a resident of California for ten years and still have family there. I love it! They are doing a lot of things right IMO.

They had once thought they ought to ban diesel trucks altogether, even stop the sale of diesel... Then they decided that Global Warming was a bigger issue to cope with, and passed a very strict law limiting CO2 emissions. And, they figured out that diesels are more efficient and thus produced less CO2 per mile, so they pretty much welcomed them. Their emission "test" is very limited. If your check engine light is on, you have to get repairs. That's it.

I gave my daughter my older E320 CDI and it gets great mileage (35-40 MPG). I have a newer E250 Bluetec that I will also turn over to her (45-50 MPG). I love it, but it's time for me to go electric. I don't know if she will ever want my electric car, because her SMUD power rates, in the evening, go up dramatically (24 cents per kWh). But with the high price of gasoline the diesel car makes perfectly good sense. And my E250 is rated a 7 on the EPA 0-10 scale for CO2. Most hybrids have a hard time achieving that.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:59 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1989 32' Land Yacht
van nuys , California
In CA any diesel before 98 is exempt. I have a 97 F25O and I’m grateful for this exemption.
Kinnebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:03 PM   #20
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
My T1N AI hasn't had the T21 emissions recall done. I probably ought to have it done, but I'm concerned about the update bricking my instrument panel, and whatever else it does bad to '04 Sprinters. My local Dodge dealer says they can do it, but I need to talk to the head mechanic to see what his plan is if they brick it.

The thing runs so well now... I'm just one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of people. And there's really no incentive to actually GET it done here as there aren't any issues with smog tests. We don't have 'em.

I remember the 'good ol' days' in CA in the mid-'90s when you had to pass both a visual inspection AND a tailpipe emissions test. I bought a '78 FJ-40 Land Cruiser that the previous owner had put a header on. Fortunately he'd kept the original exhaust manifold AND the smog pump and brackets as I had to return it to stock for emissions.
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote