Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2024, 06:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Rockwell , North Carolina
"Normal" Engine Operating Temps

Anybody have a scangauge or similar and monitoring engine (coolant) temps?

This time of year with temps from 80-100 degrees my coolant is typically between 190 and as high (briefly) as 207. When it gets that warm under a hard load it does come back down quickly.

2009 OM642. My van grosses around 9,900# with camping gear, two humans, a dog and a full tank of water.
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 11:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_John View Post

This time of year with temps from 80-100 degrees my coolant is typically between 190 and as high (briefly) as 207. When it gets that warm under a hard load it does come back down quickly.

2009 OM642. My van grosses around 9,900# with camping gear, two humans, a dog and a full tank of water.
Hi John,
Those are very normal temps. My old 2013 Interstate, on 2012 Sprinter, had a coolant temp display, but you had to bring it up on display using buttons on steering wheel. On new Sprinters since 2019 with the 10" MBUX display there is a display for temps as shown in attached photo.

I'm running the Scan Gauge III on my new Sprinter too have three critical temps; coolant, oil and transmission, always visible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9843.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	444513  
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 12:00 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Broward , Florida
Quote:

It's not so much the temperature that matters, it's the oil viscosity. I recommend using synthetic oil instead of mineral oil. Synthetic motor oils maintain their viscosity over a much wider temperature range.
Andy543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 04:14 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Hi John,
Those are very normal temps. My old 2013 Interstate, on 2012 Sprinter, had a coolant temp display, but you had to bring it up on display using buttons on steering wheel. On new Sprinters since 2019 with the 10" MBUX display there is a display for temps as shown in attached photo.

I'm running the Scan Gauge III on my new Sprinter too have three critical temps; coolant, oil and transmission, always visible.
My 09 (08 chassis) has a temp readout you can get to in the cluster but itís a mostly useless bar graph with no real useful info.

Thanks for the feedback. Driving today on the interstate at an ambient temp of 96 degrees I found I could keep the coolant temp a consistent 10-15 degrees cooler by running 5 mph under the 70 mph limit. I could keep is around 190 and even saw the 180ís a time or two. Better mileage too of course. Hit an average of 20 mpg.
Old 06-22-2024, 04:17 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy543 View Post
It's not so much the temperature that matters, it's the oil viscosity. I recommend using synthetic oil instead of mineral oil. Synthetic motor oils maintain their viscosity over a much wider temperature range.
I run Mobil 1 ESP full synth which is great for the rotating parts but wonít keep a head gasket from failing or a cylinder head from getting damaged from a significant overheating event.
Old 06-22-2024, 06:15 PM   #6
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
I use SG-III. 207F is nothing to worry about. My weight is at the max and I have seen upwards of 225 climbing steep grades in hot weather. It cools quickly on the down slope and runs between 190 and 200 normally. My transmission did get warmer than I liked when towing, it could hit 230 after getting off the highway and stopping at a red light so I installed a cooler with a thermostat and now it stays below 205 climbing and normally cruises at 183, and there is no more heat soak issue at red lights. (BTW an aux transmission cooler also takes some heat load off the radiator)

The oil temp is another matter, easily reaching 250 on short grades and I have seen 267 once. The Mercedes workshop manual says the oil cooler is designed to keep the oil temp under 264F. I don't run the dash air when climbing and I use what I think is one of the best 229.52 oils, Pentosin Pento Super Performance III 5W-30 and I don't run it more than 6,000 miles. Pentosin rated very high in wear protection in a study that tested oils in temperatures up to 275F.

That being said I don't believe the 229.52 oils are in the best interest of the longevity of the OM642, but they are in the best interest of the emissions systems which Mercedes has to warranty so they don't want early DPF failures from high ash oils. The Pento is on the 229.52 list, but I am considering going to a real diesel oil that won't be on the list as some others at Sprintersource have done with the reasoning that the engine costs a lot more than the DPF.

FWIW I'll post the comparison between the Pento and the Mobil 1 ESP below. Initial testing was performed at 230F, followed by 275F. As you can see while the Pento retained most of it's wear protection capability even at it's threshold of thermal breakdown at 275F , the ESP took a major hit. The ESP has a higher point of thermal breakdown which means it will survive the heat longer but I chose the Pento because I don't run my oil for the ridiculous 20,000 miles that some OM642s do and I am more interested in it's wear protection at those high temps and it never reaches the 275F point anyway.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pento vs ESP.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	444568  
Old 06-23-2024, 10:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
For a point of interest it looks like your thermostat is designed to open at 87*C/188.6*F.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 12:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
. . .

. . . FWIW I'll post the comparison between the Pento and the Mobil 1 ESP below. . .
What is source of the comparison you posted?
Old 06-23-2024, 12:54 PM   #9
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
What is source of the comparison you posted?
https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/201...-test-ranking/
Old 06-23-2024, 04:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Thanks - I thought that was the source. I have 540RATís blog as a favorite in my browsers.
Old 06-24-2024, 06:50 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Quote:
I use SG-III. 207F is nothing to worry about. My weight is at the max and I have seen upwards of 225 climbing steep grades in hot weather. It cools quickly on the down slope and runs between 190 and 200 normally. My transmission did get warmer than I liked when towing, it could hit 230 after getting off the highway and stopping at a red light so I installed a cooler with a thermostat and now it stays below 205 climbing and normally cruises at 183, and there is no more heat soak issue at red lights. (BTW an aux transmission cooler also takes some heat load off the radiator)

The oil temp is another matter, easily reaching 250 on short grades and I have seen 267 once. The Mercedes workshop manual says the oil cooler is designed to keep the oil temp under 264F. I don't run the dash air when climbing and I use what I think is one of the best 229.52 oils, Pentosin Pento Super Performance III 5W-30 and I don't run it more than 6,000 miles. Pentosin rated very high in wear protection in a study that tested oils in temperatures up to 275F.

That being said I don't believe the 229.52 oils are in the best interest of the longevity of the OM642, but they are in the best interest of the emissions systems which Mercedes has to warranty so they don't want early DPF failures from high ash oils. The Pento is on the 229.52 list, but I am considering going to a real diesel oil that won't be on the list as some others at Sprintersource have done with the reasoning that the engine costs a lot more than the DPF.

FWIW I'll post the comparison between the Pento and the Mobil 1 ESP below. Initial testing was performed at 230F, followed by 275F. As you can see while the Pento retained most of it's wear protection capability even at it's threshold of thermal breakdown at 275F , the ESP took a major hit. The ESP has a higher point of thermal breakdown which means it will survive the heat longer but I chose the Pento because I don't run my oil for the ridiculous 20,000 miles that some OM642s do and I am more interested in it's wear protection at those high temps and it never reaches the 275F point anyway.

I am assuming you have a newer van than mine - I can't pull as much information from an 08. I had an overheating issue in Colorado a couple years ago which has made me hyper sensitive to coolant temp (I can't monitor oil or transmission temp through the sg3). I primarily monitor coolant temp, eng load (to manage the transmission/rpm) and boost on mine.

I run the ESP oil in mine (as did the previous owner). I change the oil at a max of 10K miles and and have (so far) had no emissions system issues.

I don't tow with mine. The V6 seems woefully inadequate for the task. I'm not sure how the mercedes chassis class C people are towing jeeps. And the new ones all have a four cylinder? Yikes.
Old 06-24-2024, 06:55 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
For a point of interest it looks like your thermostat is designed to open at 87*C/188.6*F.

What is the magic temp for engagement of the mechanical fan clutch? I replaced it last year but its hard to notice when it engages and disengages just from noise.
Old 06-24-2024, 07:03 AM   #13
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
I am assuming you have a newer van than mine - I can't pull as much information from an 08. I had an overheating issue in Colorado a couple years ago which has made me hyper sensitive to coolant temp (I can't monitor oil or transmission temp through the sg3). I primarily monitor coolant temp, eng load (to manage the transmission/rpm) and boost on mine.

I run the ESP oil in mine (as did the previous owner). I change the oil at a max of 10K miles and and have (so far) had no emissions system issues.

I don't tow with mine. The V6 seems woefully inadequate for the task. I'm not sure how the mercedes chassis class C people are towing jeeps. And the new ones all have a four cylinder? Yikes.

My chassis is a 2010 but my ECM got replaced with the AEM. Once I got the new ECM SG-III was able to see everything. I would call the people at SG and ask about yours, you might need a firmware update.
Prior to the new ECM I used Torque Pro and was able to see all 3 EGT sensors, oil temp, coolant temp, load and volts, but transmission temp would just mirror coolant temp. My main reason for wanting SG was for transmission temps. Keep in mind transmission temp is only available in gear, not park or neutral. In park or neutral it reverts to coolant temp.
I really liked Torque Pro better due to it's really nice, customizable layout. But SG-III gets the job done and gives me the transmission temp.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TPsprinter1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	444596  
Old 06-24-2024, 08:01 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Quote:
What is the magic temp for engagement of the mechanical fan clutch? I replaced it last year but its hard to notice when it engages and disengages just from noise.
This is what I found; It engages at about 170į radiator air temperature (about 30į lower than coolant temperature).
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...threads/99281/
Old 06-24-2024, 08:24 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Quote:
This is what I found; It engages at about 170į radiator air temperature (about 30į lower than coolant temperature).
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...threads/99281/

That's for the T1N but I've got an NC3V. Didn't the T1N have a different engine? All inlines. I'm on the sprinter-source forum a lot myself, I'll poke around a bit there myself.

I seem to be OK with my cooling system anyway. Coolant temps seem to be in the right range. I just replaced the coolant and coolant reservoir bottle (to get a new additive pack). I did the fan last year. When it gets close to triple digit ambient temps, I'll just ease off the throttle a bit. An engine is too expensive to drive it like its a delivery van.
Old 06-24-2024, 08:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Quote:
That's for the T1N but I've got an NC3V. Didn't the T1N have a different engine? All inlines. I'm on the sprinter-source forum a lot myself, I'll poke around a bit there myself.

I seem to be OK with my cooling system anyway. Coolant temps seem to be in the right range. I just replaced the coolant and coolant reservoir bottle (to get a new additive pack). I did the fan last year. When it gets close to triple digit ambient temps, I'll just ease off the throttle a bit. An engine is too expensive to drive it like its a delivery van.
That is why I said it's what I found, probably close to the same. The thermostat was easier to find the NC3V and really gives an idea of where they want the minimum temps to be.
Old 06-24-2024, 08:59 AM   #17
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:

Your NCV3 should have the OM642 V-6. On the fan clutch, I can't speak for your 2008 but on my 2010 it is viscous-electric fan clutch which is variable speed with ECM input. You can verify if you have the same fan clutch by looking to see if it has an electrical connector. Don't be fooled by the short hose looking part on top, that's just a rubber damper and it also aids in holding the assembly in place for installation. There is a separate harness with a connector as well.

When switching the AC on, the fan should go to max. I tested mine with a hand held tachometer to verify that it was increasing speed to match the engine RPM.
Old 06-24-2024, 10:18 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Quote:
That is why I said it's what I found, probably close to the same. The thermostat was easier to find the NC3V and really gives an idea of where they want the minimum temps to be.

You're right - its probably close.
Old 06-24-2024, 10:29 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Quote:
Your NCV3 should have the OM642 V-6. On the fan clutch, I can't speak for your 2008 but on my 2010 it is viscous-electric fan clutch which is variable speed with ECM input. You can verify if you have the same fan clutch by looking to see if it has an electrical connector. Don't be fooled by the short hose looking part on top, that's just a rubber damper and it also aids in holding the assembly in place for installation. There is a separate harness with a connector as well.

When switching the AC on, the fan should go to max. I tested mine with a hand held tachometer to verify that it was increasing speed to match the engine RPM.

You're right - I forgot about that. My van, along with the mechanical fan also has a pair of electric fans ahead of everything. Those are the ones that get going when the AC is engaged.
Old 06-24-2024, 10:37 AM   #20
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
You're right - I forgot about that. My van, along with the mechanical fan also has a pair of electric fans ahead of everything. Those are the ones that get going when the AC is engaged.
Then you may not have the viscous/electric fan, my understanding is that when they went to that the electric fans for the AC condenser were eliminated.