Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

St amant , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post

My van has been at the “ service”department for 3 1/2 weeks now. So I have not been able to fool with it. it looks like to me you drill a hole through the bottom plastic and the long plastic lever attaches to the roof vent to pull it down and lock it in place. seems like a cheap fix for a major problem in my opinion. My curiosity is also if it is locked in place and someone pushes the button for the vent to auto open...... something has to give.
There was no other instructions other than the pic i posted
SwampRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:04 AM   #82
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Noise levels dissapointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRV View Post
My van has been at the “ service”department for 3 1/2 weeks now. So I have not been able to fool with it. it looks like to me you drill a hole through the bottom plastic and the long plastic lever attaches to the roof vent to pull it down and lock it in place. seems like a cheap fix for a major problem in my opinion. My curiosity is also if it is locked in place and someone pushes the button for the vent to auto open...... something has to give.
There was no other instructions other than the pic i posted

I’m really sorry to hear this.

What exactly is the 3.5 week delay caused by?

Scott

PS: my dealer has replaced my fan, and happily it no longer leaks water. But.........sadly it is still noisy. We are working on a fix next week when I return from a quick trip to Napa and the Sonoma Coastal area.
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:10 PM   #83
2 Rivet Member

St amant , Louisiana
[QUOTE=ScottP;2063855]

Dont get me started
Old 02-10-2018, 08:39 PM   #84
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
[QUOTE=SwampRV;2065239]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottP View Post

Dont get me started

We need to talk!
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:25 AM   #85
2 Rivet Member

St amant , Louisiana
I got my van back. The service dept. changed the gasket on the fantastic vent. (Black rubber one on top where lid meets top of vent frame) They test drove it and said no noise. I drove it home. Obviously not to my surprise, it did not work.

Van also went to Mercedes. Told them about the sliding door noise. They said they test drove it and could not duplicate. All noise is normal of a sprinter van.

For y'all experienced owners, correct me if I am wrong. Driving it home from shop on the interstate doing 75mph I could not hold a phone conversation on the Bluetooth due to noise. I will admit I am a bit hard of hearing but phone volume was up all the way and the fusion radio was as high as it could go.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:48 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Definitely not my experience. I can have a conversation even using the speakerphone on my Samsung phone without using the Bluetooth! It should be very quiet.

Did they change tires by any chance? What is the tire brand/size?
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:28 AM   #87
2 Rivet Member

St amant , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
t.

Did they change tires by any chance? What is the tire brand/size?
Continental VancoFourSeason 215/85 R16
Old 02-13-2018, 06:44 AM   #88
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRV View Post
Continental VancoFourSeason 215/85 R16
Same tires as mine and mine is comfortably quiet. Coming home last week, at 65 mph., we listened to a Pan flute performance on a CD.

I added a set of WeatherTech tinted side window deflectors so that I can crack the side windows without rain getting in. With a crosswind at some angles, I get more noise from those deflectors than from everything else combined. I sometimes wish I had not bought them.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:59 AM   #89
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
...I added a set of WeatherTech tinted side window deflectors so that I can crack the side windows without rain getting in. With a crosswind at some angles, I get more noise from those deflectors than from everything else combined. I sometimes wish I had not bought them.
Good to know... I was planning on getting a set... I have them on my other car and use them during the hot days while parked...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 06:55 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
This is one of the more comprehensively-commented historical threads on the Interstate camper van’s legendary loudness. Other threads have focused on specific noise mitigation measures for the roof fan, roof air conditioner, generator, etc. I myself published this a blog post titled ROAD NOISE CONTROL IN AN AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE describing how we added custom carpet to the cab floor plus noise attenuation measures inside the cab doors.

We now have a new option for road noise mitigation - the second-generation AirPods Pro, with their equally-legendary noise cancellation technology.

I used them extensively on a recent trip and I found that they cut down noise-related fatigue considerably. My ears are not ringing nearly as badly by the end of a long driving day.

My only concern is that certain rough road conditions seem to be capable of causing unintended low-frequency amplifications caused by sound wave peaks that seem to be lining up instead of cancelling out. I call these moments “punches” because it feels like getting punched in the ear. I find that placing a finger on the AirPod to steady it helps to dampen this effect, although if I am driving, I can only protect one ear at a time because my other hand is on the steering wheel (I have wondered whether tying a kerchief around my head like a babushka might achieve the same protective effect). This effect happens no matter which vehicle I am driving - it is as bad if not worse in my Sienna, and it even includes an annoying reverberation effect when I slam my driver’s side door, suggesting that the software / firmware is not properly interpreting the sound to be cancelled.

This is a subjective interpretation, but I also find that AirPods work better when they are delivering an audio stream as they were designed to do. You can take them out of their case, pop them in your ears, and they will noise-cancel even without anything playing. But they were optimized to perform that function while actively working. I have been a podcast junkie for years, but now I’m also an Audible junkie, in part because I need more content to support my noise cancellation.

Somewhat absurdly, AirPods also help with the conversation problem that the OP described in opening this thread several years ago. If your spouse is sitting next to you in the Interstate and you want to talk without excessively raising your voice, you can talk by phone if you both are wearing AirPods Pro. Conceptually it’s not that different from a pilot and a copilot sitting next to each other and wearing David Clark headsets.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 07:02 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I've used Bose noise headphones for years - on large planes to listen to the audio and on small planes without audio service to cancel out the engine noise. Have never thought the AI road noise was loud enough to need them, but may give them a try out of curiosity. The constant road hum in the AI has never bothered me - it is the intermittent cabinet squeaks at bumps that I don't like.

I have not tried the more newer noise cancelling earbuds.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 07:31 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
My husband had a Bose headset that he used for years, but its disadvantage is that it’s about one thousand times larger than the AirPods Pro set.

Plus there’s the issue of certain jurisdictions declaring “headphones” to be illegal. I’ve never understood the distinction but certain jurisdictions also require drivers to use “handsfree” devices, which apparently include Bluetooth headsets.

At any rate, AirPods Pro are much less conspicuous than conventional headphones, and their use is becoming ubiquitous. I predict that they are much less likely to be enforced against on the basis of device-targeting laws or the general duty laws that target “distracted” driving.

EDIT: Useful reference from Wikipedia

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 02:58 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
A highly effective solution for road noise is age-related hearing loss. I just turn off my hearing aids.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote