Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2018, 01:12 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Unfortunately, there's no transparent version yet. I would guess that such a product would need to be made of polycarbonate, which might be prohibitively expensive. I like the skylight effect, the light coming in the vent, which breaks up the dark ceiling and makes the Interstate seem less coffin-like. So in the absence of a transparent option, I went with white.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:08 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

St amant , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
There's a couple of key design differences between the fantastic fan and maxxair fans. I believe these to be the primary issue for noise in that area.
1) maxxair uses 2 lifting arms to fantastic fans 1 arm. So the opposite side of the arm in the lid of the fantastic fan is probably lifting at speed.
2) the dome "curb" riser is integral to the fan and not the AS. Maxxair looks to be lower profile and catch less wind.

Both models use a standard size14" opening.

Sounds like the solution is to replace with a maxxair!

Exactly! There is only one arm on the passenger side. It lifts on the other side in the rear where there is no arm. I have ridden in the back to observe it lift at interstate speeds.

My AI is at the shop now and i will see if they come up with a solution from AS. As for now, i have the dome lock kit and all of yall great suggestions as my plan B.
SwampRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:29 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
There's a couple of key design differences between the fantastic fan and maxxair fans. I believe these to be the primary issue for noise in that area.
1) maxxair uses 2 lifting arms to fantastic fans 1 arm. So the opposite side of the arm in the lid of the fantastic fan is probably lifting at speed.
2) the dome "curb" riser is integral to the fan and not the AS. Maxxair looks to be lower profile and catch less wind.

Both models use a standard size14" opening.

Sounds like the solution is to replace with a maxxair!
Our 2011 AI has a Maxxair fan. In comparison to the Fantastic Fan, the integrated hood and rain guard is a winner. It is quiet and can be open while driving in rain. However, just like a lot of other "RV quality" components, they chose to use very poor quality pot metal for the lifting mechanism and support arms. I had to replace the lifting gear last year.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:08 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRV View Post
Exactly! There is only one arm on the passenger side. It lifts on the other side in the rear where there is no arm. I have ridden in the back to observe it lift at interstate speeds.

My AI is at the shop now and i will see if they come up with a solution from AS. As for now, i have the dome lock kit and all of yall great suggestions as my plan B.

Swamp RV, would you mind checking your inbox/mailbox? I sent a PM about ten days ago re: fan.

Many thanks, Scott
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:42 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Noise levels dissapointing

Noise levels:

We’ve isolated the problem to two primary areas (non-scientific isolation... just moving around the van while driving at highway speeds on smooth pavement.

We identified the sliding door was mid-aligned. Two thirds of the door were perfectly aligned (bottom to top) 1/3 was misaligned w/the sliding door protruding at the top.

Service trip mission:

Today we were up 3:30am yeah!!!, and shuffled our way from Bend Oregon across the snowy Cascade Mtn Pass to the Mercedes Sprinter Dealer in Portland.

Plan was to have the wheels balanced, front end alignment completed (it was pulling hard left) and sliding door adjusted.

Here you can see door, fully closed yet protruding at the top which contributes to a noisy cabin...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7359.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	380.5 KB
ID:	303350

Well it mostly went well...but as you know, it’s not uncommon for there to be disputes between AS Service and MB Service as to who’s responsible for “what?” We’ve been down this road with our 2017, and 2014.5 units.

But to me, the sliding door is MB MB MB’s problem alllll day llllllong. It’s structural...anyway MB thought AS bent the door, or warped the door during the up-fit process (hard for me to fathom). We expect this, so no stress, we’ve been here before. We called Lora at Airstream Adv. NorthWest and she said ... “hey just return to our shop and I’ll get one of our folks on it while you wait.” Super [emoji41]

20 minute drive to the AS dealer, 30 minutes wandering through Travel trailers while our Tech wiz Tom adjusted the sliding door (pulling it in only at the top). Slides great.

Cabin noise reduced by 70% as a guesstimate
Old 02-01-2018, 06:26 AM   #66
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Clifton , Virginia
I had the same problem with my sliding door not lining up the top 1/3. But with me, AS said it was MB issue and when I took it to MB, they took care of it.
cjrdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:52 AM   #67
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
After photos please? Trying to figure out if mine is normal or needs adjustment...

Will take photos when I get home.

Also, is the adjustment easy for me to do at home or something that must be taken to the dealer for adjusting?
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:25 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Clifton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
After photos please? Trying to figure out if mine is normal or needs adjustment...

Will take photos when I get home.

Also, is the adjustment easy for me to do at home or something that must be taken to the dealer for adjusting?
Don't have the before photo, but I'll take the after when I get home this evening if not too dark or tomorrow. I really don't know what's involved in making the adjustment, so no idea if this is owner serviceable, sorry. Most likely yours is aligned. Mine became misaligned after the door was worked on. Can't remember if AS or MB.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:06 PM   #69

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrdad View Post
Don't have the before photo, but I'll take the after when I get home this evening if not too dark or tomorrow. I really don't know what's involved in making the adjustment, so no idea if this is owner serviceable, sorry. Most likely yours is aligned. Mine became misaligned after the door was worked on. Can't remember if AS or MB.
Thank you.

Came across this document:

http://www.sprinter-rv.com/wp-conten...th-Hinges1.pdf
WBCCI #26769
Old 02-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Clifton , Virginia
So many adjustments possible. I’m glad I didn’t attempt it myself.
Btw, this is the after pic. Before there was a very noticeable bump at the top.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8777.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	303412
Old 02-02-2018, 04:34 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Noise levels dissapointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
Noise levels:

We’ve isolated the problem to two primary areas (non-scientific isolation... just moving around the van while driving at highway speeds on smooth pavement.

We identified the sliding door was mid-aligned. Two thirds of the door were perfectly aligned (bottom to top) 1/3 was misaligned w/the sliding door protruding at the top.

Service trip mission:

Today we were up 3:30am yeah!!!, and shuffled our way from Bend Oregon across the snowy Cascade Mtn Pass to the Mercedes Sprinter Dealer in Portland.

Plan was to have the wheels balanced, front end alignment completed (it was pulling hard left) and sliding door adjusted.

Here you can see door, fully closed yet protruding at the top which contributes to a noisy cabin...

Attachment 303350

Well it mostly went well...but as you know, it’s not uncommon for there to be disputes between AS Service and MB Service as to who’s responsible for “what?” We’ve been down this road with our 2017, and 2014.5 units.

But to me, the sliding door is MB MB MB’s problem alllll day llllllong. It’s structural...anyway MB thought AS bent the door, or warped the door during the up-fit process (hard for me to fathom). We expect this, so no stress, we’ve been here before. We called Lora at Airstream Adv. NorthWest and she said ... “hey just return to our shop and I’ll get one of our folks on it while you wait.” Super [emoji41]

20 minute drive to the AS dealer, 30 minutes wandering through Travel trailers while our Tech wiz Tom adjusted the sliding door (pulling it in only at the top). Slides great.

Cabin noise reduced by 70% as a guesstimate

“After” photo for reference

It’s perhaps helpful to point out the way to determine (visually) if the door adjustment appears successful is to compare painted surfaces. The window gap is naturally tighter. So looking above and below the coach window might be best.

Name:	IMG_7467.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	474.4 KB
ID:	303442

Our experience over the years with multiple vans, has shown that each van has a sliding door with its own “personality.“ When we take delivery of a van, and the door was really kind of tough to get open, I smile. Because I know it’s going to loosen up over time, and it’s going to stay in place on an incline when it’s open.

This door requires a firm “sliding close” in order to get it sealed...but that’s ok. I have athletic female family members (wife + daughter) who love to Slam every car door they encounter. It could be a mini copper, Ford F-350, and everything in between. Brutal. My CrossFitting wife grew up in Minnesota and was a college pole vaulter. Our daughter is 15 and a Crossfit athlete + Nordic skier. Yes, mostly I feel weak, chubby and tired.

Here is a photo of said “door slammers” washed-up and on their best behavior ...they probably just finished suggesting I don’t need a second Bourbon at our holiday dinner.

Name:	IMG_4039.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	365.2 KB
ID:	303443
Old 02-03-2018, 07:04 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member

St amant , Louisiana
Update on the fantastic vent. Have not forgotten about you Scott. My van has been at the service dept for 3 weeks. I have spoken and described and beat to death the fantastic vent problem to them. They text drove it and decided to change the gasket seal on the vent. [emoji19]. I am not impressed but we will see. I actually made a make shift gasket myself before bringing it to them and that didn't work. But hopefully theirs magically worked. I will let y'all know. I am reluctant to install the locking kit until all avenues have been tried.
The van will be headed to Mercedes to get the door worked on for its cockpit noise next week.I am appreciative of yalls recent post on that. It gives me good info to communicate to them.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:05 AM   #73
2 Rivet Member

St amant , Louisiana

Name:	IMG_5364.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	347.2 KB
ID:	303463Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5069.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	303464
Old 02-03-2018, 07:09 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member

St amant , Louisiana
That's the kit that I got from fantastic vent directly. It was called a dome lock kit from Dometic. I spoke to Sharon in Elkhart. I believe the number I eventually got to them was 866-869-3118. I had options 4, 1, 2 in my notes but not for sure (sorry lots of notes).
Old 02-03-2018, 07:22 AM   #75
Rivet Master

Any AI 4X4 owners notice there seems to be what we call excessive front drivetrain noise? Have owned a number of 4X4’s, even three Land Rover Discoveries, current one has 171,000 miles on it but never had one rumble and whine like our sprinter. Oh, the mileage per gallon is awful compared to our former 2010! And yes, we know the 4X4 system adds weight and resistance
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:23 PM   #76

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
“After” photo for reference

It’s perhaps helpful to point out the way to determine (visually) if the door adjustment appears successful is to compare painted surfaces. The window gap is naturally tighter. So looking above and below the coach window might be best.
Thank you! Mine looks like it is fine then. Looks just like that in your photo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1299.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	313.9 KB
ID:	303483  
WBCCI #26769
Old 02-04-2018, 07:45 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
Any AI 4X4 owners notice there seems to be what we call excessive front drivetrain noise? Have owned a number of 4X4’s, even three Land Rover Discoveries, current one has 171,000 miles on it but never had one rumble and whine like our sprinter. Oh, the mileage per gallon is awful compared to our former 2010! And yes, we know the 4X4 system adds weight and resistance
One of the tricks when selling old cars was to put motor honey or some other heavy weight oil in the engine to cut down on valve and timing chain noise. If the transfer case is loud, a heavier weight oil might help. It won't help your gas millage however.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:11 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
What does the dome lock kit do? The knob that I turn to open/close my fan hood is the lock. I push the knob up to lock it. What other lock is there? I thought earlier in this post there was a gasket that could be added to reduce the noise. Is this lock yet another noise-reducing retrofit?
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:39 AM   #79
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post

4x4 Noise:

No - we don’t have any drivetrain noise

Rovers:

You can get that many miles out of them?

I’m “ascared” because I didn’t think they are known for dependability! I saw this (Autobiography model) last week, with 14k miles at a dealer. I want to buy it, hire a safe driver and then sit-in-the-back. But I don’t have any place to go!!!!!!!!!

Name:	Image1517834320.535824.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	303551

Name:	Image1517834346.968279.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	303552

Name:	Image1517834366.855825.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	303553
Old 02-05-2018, 08:44 AM   #80

Orlando , Florida
Question

Quote:
Quote:
That's the kit that I got from fantastic vent directly. It was called a dome lock kit from Dometic. I spoke to Sharon in Elkhart. I believe the number I eventually got to them was 866-869-3118. I had options 4, 1, 2 in my notes but not for sure (sorry lots of notes).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
What does the dome lock kit do? The knob that I turn to open/close my fan hood is the lock. I push the knob up to lock it. What other lock is there? I thought earlier in this post there was a gasket that could be added to reduce the noise. Is this lock yet another noise-reducing retrofit?
http://www.dyersonline.com/downloadf...tfile_id/3794/

Would love to know this also...
WBCCI #26769