Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2018, 12:08 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
So they did make a change. Small changes, big impact.

That's a shame. I know you had a '17 prior to this '18 so you know how quiet these rigs can be.

I wonder how how big of a chore it would be to add a small wind deflector in front of the leading edge of the cover so the wind doesn't catch it when it's closed? Lousy to have to do it, but it might be an easy fix for those folks impacted.....

Totally agree

I’m hopeful the kit with address the issue. Good idea on the deflector, thanks.

Can’t get anyone at AS to address why they changed fans, and why they elevated fan housing (unless it’s simply to accommodate the Dometic)

But I’m kinda relentless - I’ll call the product manager tomorrow if I’m feeling better.
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:02 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
But I don’t know if this “pedestal mount” is the reason for the wind noise ... I’ll report back after I talk with Dometic and AS tech support.
I'm curious about this as well. As I understand it, and as we have observed and measured it, cab road noise is transmitted primarily through the firewall and doors (blog post again). I can drive with our Fantastic open, and it still doesn't contribute that much to the noise load.

But, I don't have direct experience with what's being described here, so maybe I'm missing something.

I will note that the fan itself was moved forward in the later Interstates. That may be a contributing factor.

As for the deflector idea, if the Fantastic is now installed in an elevated position, it's not clear to me that the branded / OEM shroud (UltraBreeze), which sort of serves as a deflector, would fit over it.

Illustrating both the Fantastic position on the roof on an older Interstate, and the UltraBreeze installed over it, here's a pic I took from a ferry catwalk prior to re-coating our roof.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #43
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Just adding a photo from a different angle... does not add anything to what has already been shared. Just had the photo handy...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0980.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	302295  
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:17 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Hephzibah , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I'm curious about this as well. As I understand it, and as we have observed and measured it, cab road noise is transmitted primarily through the firewall and doors (blog post again). I can drive with our Fantastic open, and it still doesn't contribute that much to the noise load.

But, I don't have direct experience with what's being described here, so maybe I'm missing something.

I will note that the fan itself was moved forward in the later Interstates. That may be a contributing factor.

As for the deflector idea, if the Fantastic is now installed in an elevated position, it's not clear to me that the branded / OEM shroud (UltraBreeze), which sort of serves as a deflector, would fit over it.

Illustrating both the Fantastic position on the roof on an older Interstate, and the UltraBreeze installed over it, here's a pic I took from a ferry catwalk prior to re-coating our roof.

I have the ULTRA Breeze over my Fantastic fan vent that enables me to use the fan in rainy weather or in travel mode. I've stated in a previous post that I regularly drive with the vent open (and fan on depending on outside temps) with very minimal wind/fan noise to disrupt a normal conversation in the cockpit. I have confirmed this in playbacks of my 24/7 windshield camera recordings.
Attached Files
MISGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

Hephzibah , Georgia
NOTE: Please forgive my lack of expertise in correctly posting videos. This video was to show the location of my Fantastic Fan vent/Shroud in the 2018 AI GT. The vent is behind the driver across from sliding door and over the refrigerator/clothes closet area.
This is significantly closer than the mid van location in InterBlog's photo. However, I stand by my statement of the low level wind/fan noise as a result of the location in my configuration.....(trying one last effort to post video ...crossing fingers!!)
Attached Files
Old 01-13-2018, 07:32 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISGM View Post
I have the ULTRA Breeze over my Fantastic fan vent that enables me to use the fan in rainy weather or in travel mode. I've stated in a previous post that I regularly drive with the vent open (and fan on depending on outside temps) with very minimal wind/fan noise to disrupt a normal conversation in the cockpit. I have confirmed this in playbacks of my 24/7 windshield camera recordings.
This doesn't surprise me, as it is consistent with my own observations.

Unfortunately we are at the arm-waving stage of this thread (and I'm guilty as charged). The only way to solve this riddle is to measure sound levels in comparable vehicles, both qualitatively and quantitatively using a meter. And then if certain vehicles do prove to be louder, start tearing them apart to see what is different when compared to quiet vehicles (we suspect accidental omission of sound deadening components).

But of course, what I just described is a near-impossible logistical challenge, not to mention a boat-load of work. Hence the arm-waving.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
I think this is a very serious problem that needs a lot of shouting and arm waving to make sure it gets resolved. Few of us would upgrade to a new year model if this is what is waiting for us.

And it is not much of an arm waving to demand that they not erect a 6 inch square chimney on top of a car in this day and age. The rest of the contraptions are bad enough. What possibly good reason is there for that fan to stick out so far?
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:22 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
There's a couple of key design differences between the fantastic fan and maxxair fans. I believe these to be the primary issue for noise in that area.
1) maxxair uses 2 lifting arms to fantastic fans 1 arm. So the opposite side of the arm in the lid of the fantastic fan is probably lifting at speed.
2) the dome "curb" riser is integral to the fan and not the AS. Maxxair looks to be lower profile and catch less wind.

Both models use a standard size14" opening.

Sounds like the solution is to replace with a maxxair!
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:54 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

Hephzibah , Georgia
I,m at a loss...video works if you right click on the play arrow and select the "read aloud" option... Not what I wanted... anyway it show the location/structure of my Fantastic vent and shroud...
Old 01-13-2018, 06:17 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
I,m at a loss...video works if you right click on the play arrow and select the "read aloud" option... Not what I wanted... anyway it show the location/structure of my Fantastic vent and shroud...
It plays just fine for my Chrome browser on Windows.

Did you install that and if so, was it much work to put the shroud on it?
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:40 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
Just an FYI, our ‘17 GT specs show to have included the fantastic fan, but ours isn’t on the “pedestal” like the ‘18 shown in the photo posted earlier. (?)
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:02 PM   #52

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by txntravlr View Post
Just an FYI, our ‘17 GT specs show to have included the fantastic fan, but ours isn’t on the “pedestal” like the ‘18 shown in the photo posted earlier. (?)

The plot thickens....
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-13-2018, 11:16 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Same. '17 Lounge, Fantastic Fan, no pedestal, quiet as a car inside.....
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:08 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

Auburn , Georgia
http://www.rvvent.com/pictures.htm

Looks like the old short base is being replaced by the taller one. It appears to be adaptable to a larger scope of ceiling and roof thickness.
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:30 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
I've been on this forum and other RV/van forums more than 3 years now, and I've never seen an installation similar to what the OP has posted.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:27 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

Hephzibah , Georgia
I installed it myself in about 30 minutes.
Watched YouTube video by:
We're the Russos -
Video gives all the details.
NOTE: I also recommend purchasing the optional "bug screen" insert that prevents insects from entering the van through the shroud/vent opening!!! The clips to shroud make for easy exterior cleaning and maintenance of Fantastic Fan.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #57
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
I installed it myself in about 30 minutes.

Video gives all the details.
Looks like a great solution, provided the shroud is tall enough to accommodate the new, taller base that's appearing on these coaches.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRV View Post
Just put 4500 miles on our 2018 AS. Took two long trips this month to break it in. Before being negative, we are super happy with many things and it has been an awesome vehicle for us.

I am very disappointed in the noise level while driving. We can barley have conversation in the two front seats and have to yell to talk to kids in the middle seats. Its all good at 60mph but interstate speeds is rough.

The fantastic fan lifts on the rear driver side and allows wind noise. I have spent several times on the roof and phone with the manufacturer and no better. Thinking about caulking it shut for good!

The sliding door is leaking air at the top front so extremely noising right at front passengers ear level. I tried adjusting rubber seal but no luck.

Anyone have similar problems or ideas to correct? Please help!?!?
Not sure if this has been suggested. I don't have an Interstate, but I do know that the tires can make a ride very noisy in my years on the road with different vehicles. I only use Michelin tires now....I even replaced brand new Good Years on my last F150 Platinum, with Michelins...night and day difference in noise and also ride. My new F250 came with Michelins and is very quiet, even on loud road surfaces..which also can be a problem in some highway areas!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:57 AM   #59

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Looks like a great solution, provided the shroud is tall enough to accommodate the new, taller base that's appearing on these coaches.
I was checking as I want to add one. It is made to fit both high and low mounts.

I was just trying to decide if going with the smoke unit or black. Seems that the smoke unit, because of material used, is more likely to get brittle with the sun... a few folks in the amazon review had theirs crumble due to time and sun exposure. Seems that the black does not suffer from the same.

http://www.fantasticvent.com/fan-tas...nt-covers.html

You can see these are different materials when you looks at their website:

Made of High Density Polyethylene with UV Protection or transparent CAB (Cellulose Acetate Butyrate)
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #60
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
I was checking as I want to add one. It is made to fit both high and low mounts.

I was just trying to decide if going with the smoke unit or black. Seems that the smoke unit, because of material used, is more likely to get brittle with the sun... a few folks in the amazon review had theirs crumble due to time and sun exposure. Seems that the black does not suffer from the same.

http://www.fantasticvent.com/fan-tas...nt-covers.html

You can see these are different materials when you looks at their website:

Made of High Density Polyethylene with UV Protection or transparent CAB (Cellulose Acetate Butyrate)
Good info!

Re. the sun damaging it, spray it with 303 UV Aerospace Protectant every time you wash your rig and you'll be fine.

https://www.amazon.com/303-30306-Pro.../dp/B000XBCURW