Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2017, 06:04 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

St amant , Louisiana
also thanks to all of you for your feedback. Yall helped me relax a bit about my concern. I will get with the dealer as well after everyone gets back from the holiday
SwampRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:18 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRV View Post
also thanks to all of you for your feedback. Yall helped me relax a bit about my concern. I will get with the dealer as well after everyone gets back from the holiday

I used Jeff64 bible on squeak and rattle posting here and added some of my own for the damn sliding door, Iím happy now.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...es-110547.html
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:33 AM   #23
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air99 View Post
I used Jeff64 bible on squeak and rattle posting here and added some of my own for the damn sliding door, Iím happy now.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...es-110547.html
Great thread. Thank you for the link!!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:53 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tvyvubub , British Columbia
Quote:

2018 Noise Level

I just searched the AS forums this morning to determine if anyone has experienced elevated noise levels in their van. So thank you for sharing your experience and feedback swamp RV.

Your are not mistaken or at least not alone in finding your 2018 ASI noisy. I drove our unit home 300+ miles and noticed a substantial amount of wind & road noise. It sounds like the noise is prevalent in the area of the fan or sliding door - but is dispersed (could be both areas).

But I promise the road noise, parked or driving, is substantially louder in our 2018 than our previous ASIís. So youíre not alone in your experience.

I need to climb up to the roof to try and determine if a fan gasket is missing, or if the fan lid isnít closed fully.

Question:

I did notice looking out a hotel window the Fantastic Fan ďseems to beĒ elevated an a small platform 4-5 inches (guessing) and canít remember if the fan was closer to flush on the roof deck in prior build years. May be my imagination...

Anyway, another punch list item for our fantastic servicing dealer (AS Adventures NW) at the end of the month.
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Minneapolis , Minnesota
MeToo

I also have a 2018 Interstate. Noisy as hell. I have a CB installed and the installation person even commented that there was no sound insulation in the front area. Can hardly hear the radio, it is impossible to talk to folks in the back. Additionally the rattling of the cabinet doors and other noises don't instill much confidence in the fit and finish quality.
observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:41 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
I also have a 2018 Interstate. Noisy as hell. I have a CB installed and the installation person even commented that there was no sound insulation in the front area. Can hardly hear the radio, it is impossible to talk to folks in the back. Additionally the rattling of the cabinet doors and other noises don't instill much confidence in the fit and finish quality.

Thatís interesting.

I was parked at a local RV repair shop yesterday and had windows up, engine off, fan vent closed, windshield facing the road. I noticed a large amount of traffic noise (my perception) coming from the front of the coach. It seemed unexpectedly noisy.

Hmmm

Iíll check more closely later...might be a simple fix
Old 01-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

St amant , Louisiana
As far as the done vent....
The customer service at Dometic were very helpful. They gave me a few things to try then ultimately sent me a dome lock kit in the mail. Obviously this is not the first time they have ran across this because of the fact there is a kit out there. This means to me it is a bad design. Or maybe a bad design for our AS with the way the wind is bouncing around up there. I hope this fixes at least that noise and i can move on to the other wind and road noises. Not happy about the jerry rig kit but obviously many others before me have shaken that bush with fantastic vent and got the kit.

Next stop, sliding door wind noise
SwampRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:45 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Quote:
The customer service at Dometic were very helpful. They gave me a few things to try then ultimately sent me a dome lock kit in the mail. Obviously this is not the first time they have ran across this because of the fact there is a kit out there. This means to me it is a bad design. Or maybe a bad design for our AS with the way the wind is bouncing around up there. I hope this fixes at least that noise and i can move on to the other wind and road noises. Not happy about the jerry rig kit but obviously many others before me have shaken that bush with fantastic vent and got the kit.

Thank you for your feedback

Letís share everything weíve learned here so others might benefit.

I know our 2014.5-2017 ASIís were very quiet. Hoping to bring this unit into the same spec!

Smiles !
Old 01-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:

Did they change this vent (and sliding door seal) between the '17 and '18 model years?

I'm scratching my head over these noise reports because my '17 is as quiet as my car!
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:15 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Quote:

Would you please post any photos you can with descriptions (of install) of the fan ďdome lock kit?Ē

Perhaps also sharing if itís successfully reduced the ASI noise levels after your install.

Thank you
Old 01-06-2018, 06:02 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
2018 Noise Level

I just searched the AS forums this morning to determine if anyone has experienced elevated noise levels in their van. So thank you for sharing your experience and feedback swamp RV.

Your are not mistaken or at least not alone in finding your 2018 ASI noisy. I drove our unit home 300+ miles and noticed a substantial amount of wind & road noise. It sounds like the noise is prevalent in the area of the fan or sliding door - but is dispersed (could be both areas).

But I promise the road noise, parked or driving, is substantially louder in our 2018 than our previous ASIís. So youíre not alone in your experience.

I need to climb up to the roof to try and determine if a fan gasket is missing, or if the fan lid isnít closed fully.

Question:

I did notice looking out a hotel window the Fantastic Fan ďseems to beĒ elevated an a small platform 4-5 inches (guessing) and canít remember if the fan was closer to flush on the roof deck in prior build years. May be my imagination...

Anyway, another punch list item for our fantastic servicing dealer (AS Adventures NW) at the end of the month.

Wondering if part of the noise increase is because the fan is mounted on a pedestal mount...

Can anyone with a 2016, 2017 model year please share if your ďroof fanĒ sits flush, or nearly flush, with the rooftop? Somehow I canít locate any roof photos of our previous vans.

Just checked our 2018 unit (photos below)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7143.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	301988Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7140.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	354.2 KB
ID:	301989
Old 01-07-2018, 06:52 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
It's hard to discern what's going on there from the angle of the sun and grainy-ness of the photos, but I'd inspect that assemblage carefully to verify that it is properly caulked and sealed. I haven't seen anything like that before.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:09 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
It's hard to discern what's going on there from the angle of the sun and grainy-ness of the photos, but I'd inspect that assemblage carefully to verify that it is properly caulked and sealed. I haven't seen anything like that before.

Clarification -

Do you mean you havenít seen an elevated mount for the fan like this?

Scott
Old 01-07-2018, 04:17 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
I did not take a picture of mine when I was there and don't quite remember what it looked like. So I did a search and found this picture of a 2017 4x4: http://www.colonialairstream.com/201...003/index.html

From the look of it, it seems to be good 1 to 2 inches lower! Why would they push it up so far? Is it a different unit?
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
I did not take a picture of mine when I was there and don't quite remember what it looked like. So I did a search and found this picture of a 2017 4x4: http://www.colonialairstream.com/201...003/index.html

From the look of it, it seems to be good 1 to 2 inches lower! Why would they push it up so far? Is it a different unit?

Thanks for the photo!

I knew it!!!!!

But I donít know if this ďpedestal mountĒ is the reason for the wind noise ... Iíll report back after I talk with Dometic and AS tech support.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:40 PM   #36
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I'm still at a loss to explain why they switched from the nearly-weatherproof hooded and streamlined MaxxFan to the Fantastic Fan, which to me is a less-advanced product. The change in fans (or more properly, the change in fan covers) may very well be a contributing factor to the increased noise level in newer Interstates.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I'm still at a loss to explain why they switched from the nearly-weatherproof hooded and streamlined MaxxFan to the Fantastic Fan, which to me is a less-advanced product. The change in fans (or more properly, the change in fan covers) may very well be a contributing factor to the increased noise level in newer Interstates.
I agree 100% - the MaxxFan is far superior. I once had it open in a thunderstorm with horizontal driven rain and not a drop got inside.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:52 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

Cost reduction?

Iím unsure, but will find out.

Iím on a mission.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:02 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
Thanks for the photo!

I knew it!!!!!

But I donít know if this ďpedestal mountĒ is the reason for the wind noise ... Iíll report back after I talk with Dometic and AS tech support.
So they did make a change. Small changes, big impact.

That's a shame. I know you had a '17 prior to this '18 so you know how quiet these rigs can be.

I wonder how how big of a chore it would be to add a small wind deflector in front of the leading edge of the cover so the wind doesn't catch it when it's closed? Lousy to have to do it, but it might be an easy fix for those folks impacted.....
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:28 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Reidsville , Georgia
I guess there is truth in the old saying "they don't make them like they used to!"

A big factor that sold me on my 1997 rear diesel Airstream was how quite it is in the drivers area at 65mph! At cruise speeds I always use my cell phone in speaker mode and never have problems with background noise driving on the road.

Btw...I also have 2 Fantastic Fans (remote operation) and no squeeks in the cabin area. Might have the occasional broom or something on counter to fall off but that's it. Good luck with your new Interstate's, hope you can solve the noise issue.

Question....if your having noise issues in the driver area possibly due to lack of insulation, are you also having ventilation problems, to hot or to cold??
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote