Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
Noise from Water Pump on RV pump

When I turn on the RV water pump I'm getting a hammering on metal noise, when pump is priming the water system. Sounds like its coming from behind 2nd row seats on curb side.. Its look like their is an access panel behind the seat. is that where the water pump is located, any suggestionsi what is causing the noise. ?? Is it air in the system??
RICKBETTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
You may need to clean the filter. The negative head pressure can cause some banging type sounds.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
pump is under the sink (pull out the lower drawer to get to it) on my 2013 Lounge EXT. On mine the area that you describe is where my toilet is and the access panel behind the 2nd row curbside is to access drain plumbing - I think.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
pump is under the sink (pull out the lower drawer to get to it) on my 2013 Lounge EXT. On mine the area that you describe is where my toilet is and the access panel behind the 2nd row curbside is to access drain plumbing - I think.
OP must have a Grand Tour. Those have a mirror-image floor plan.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
If our Interstate hasn't been used in a while, air gets into the water lines and the pump rattles very badly. Only way to fix it is to open all faucets moving the lever from hot to cold and back a few times. Eventually it goes quieter.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:21 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Only way to fix it is to open all faucets moving the lever from hot to cold and back a few times. Eventually it goes quieter.
I just open the faucets halfway between hot and cold and leave them that way until they quit spitting.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKBETTY View Post
When I turn on the RV water pump I'm getting a hammering on metal noise, when pump is priming the water system. Sounds like its coming from behind 2nd row seats on curb side.. Its look like their is an access panel behind the seat. is that where the water pump is located, any suggestionsi what is causing the noise. ?? Is it air in the system??
What model Interstate do you own?

The pump tends to pulse. In fact, that's exactly how it works, with a rubber membrane that moves back and forth. If the pex pipe is laid to close and next to the sheet metal, it can vibrate against it, and that likely is the cause. Since I don't know your model, I can't say how to access it, but mine, like Progtag's, is on the other side and can be access by removing a lower drawer. I replaced mine with a variable flow pump, that is much quieter, but it still can cause a banging sound occasionally.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
If you have a late model GT, the pump is under the freezer and accessible by removing two thumb screws holding the black vent cover. I have had to clean the screen filter twice in 10 months. It has been clogged with plastic shavings left in the freshwater tank from assembly. Not a big deal, but a nuisance. The signals were difficulty in priming, low pressure at the galley sink and frequent cycling.
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:27 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Westerville , Ohio
I found that the water lines coming off the pump were vibrating against each other and other parts beneath the sink. I stuck pieces of stiff foam between the lines to isolate them. Helped quite a bit, but still wish it was quieter.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:19 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Livingston , Texas
I had the same problem. The problem was air in the line. I purged all the water lines... except I had forgotten about the outside shower. That fixed it.
glenrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:43 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
DURANGO , Colorado
Hi! I grew up in Lake Pine. My Dad still lives on the lake! My brother is retired from the Medford Police Dept. I really miss the pizza there!
Well anyway, I had the same problem. It turned out it needed tightening. I believe over time the vibration of the pump loosens the screws. After tightening the banging went away. Good luck
SiverD is offline   Reply With Quote