Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2019, 05:55 PM   #1
Tomb Jr

Currently Looking...
2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Troy , Michigan
Angry No start after 3 to 3 1/2 hours on highway

I have a 2019 Interstate Grand Tour EXT on a 2017 MB body with a little over 11,000 delivered June 1, 2018. On my trip from Michigan to Washington DC we stopped for a break on the Ohio turnpike. When we got back in it would not start and the brake pedal had no play in it (about 15 minute stop). All the usual lights came on the dash but no start. After about another 10 minutes or so it finally started. We drove around Va. Beach for two weeks starting without issue but only drive less than 20 minutes at the most. We did not have another problem until our drive home with the exact situation.
I contacted MB about having it checked and was informed that they no longer serviced the Sprinter and was directed to Hoekstra locally. Called and after going over all the details, I got an appointment. When I took it in the service guy told me he'd done some research and found an incident where a drive was using an ashtray USB to power a device that was by the ignition switch. Told him we used similar setup for cell phone but placed it in the ash tray cup holder away from the ignition switch. After a week I called and was told that they found nothing. He went on to inform me that he had found instances that pointed to the Airstream installed "radio" (Fusion Infotainment system) causing the problem and that if they did not find anything I would be billed for the inspection as "they" assume the problem was caused by Airstream. I find it hard to believe that this is the case as I have driven to Florida with it on two other trips and never had any problems with it not starting. Anyone with similar issues please touch base.
tompamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:49 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Clearwater , Florida
Had a similar problem on my 2018 AI (also built on a 2017 sprinter). After a week in the shop the MB dealer found the problem was a defective shift lockout solenoid on the transmission conductor plate.
Osteomeatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
What on earth is that?
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:05 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Clearwater , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
What on earth is that?

I believe it keeps the engine from starting in gear
Osteomeatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Sounds like a component/sensor that is failing (at least temporarily) due to heat.

I had a diesel Chevy that had a problem like this all the time. They had put the diesel fuel injection pump and pump controller in the "V" between the cylinders. You could drive an hour to get somewhere, turn it off to get a snack, and then it wouldn't restart. About the time that the tow truck would arrive, the engine had cooled down enough that the pump controller started working again and it would start. Take it in for service, and they wouldn't be able to find anything.

But...with today's electronic sensor intensive engine systems, I am surprised that you didn't have a check engine light, or at least a "pending" code (that may not have made the light come on). Did they put a code checker on it?

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:54 PM   #6

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Sister Bay , Wisconsin
no start after long drive

I experienced the same problem. The fuel pump located in the fuel tank failed to start after heating up. The engine would start from cold. but not after running an hour or two and would restart after cooling 30 to 40 minutes.
I found the problem by calling a Mercedes dealer several hours down our route and had the engine attached to their diagnostic equipment before shutting it down. The fuel pressure in the fuel rail was 0 when they attempted a restart.
I believe it should be possible to hear the pump run for a few seconds with the key in position 1. No pressure = no start.
930gutdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:21 PM   #7
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gutdr View Post
I experienced the same problem. The fuel pump located in the fuel tank failed to start after heating up. The engine would start from cold. but not after running an hour or two and would restart after cooling 30 to 40 minutes.
I found the problem by calling a Mercedes dealer several hours down our route and had the engine attached to their diagnostic equipment before shutting it down. The fuel pressure in the fuel rail was 0 when they attempted a restart.
I believe it should be possible to hear the pump run for a few seconds with the key in position 1. No pressure = no start.
I don't think this is what the OP is referring to in the original post. The OP didn't describe the "no start" in detail but I think they're saying the vehicle would not engage the starter motor. That is, the engine did not "turn over." They turned the key to "on" and the dash lights illuminated. They turned the key further to "start" and nothing happened.

If that's the case for the OP, it makes sense there is some sort of defective safety feature or something that is interfering with the starting protocol.

I gather from your post that the starter would engage, the engine would turn over, but with no fuel pressure the engine would not start.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote