Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2017, 08:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Poland , Ohio
No propane to coach

Started up my 2013 interstate ext for day trip. Attempted to start generator but would not turn over. Felt like it was getting no propane. Checked tank have propane, outside switch on. Decided to check inside stove, no propane. What do I need to check. Is there a fuse to the outside switch?
Docevil87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
On my 2013 Lounge Ext, the outside propane switch is fused on the same circuit as the refrigerator, and propane detector. My refrigerator was on a jag of blowing fuses and that’s how I found what was on that fuse.
Flip the outside switch on and off to see if it is cycling the solenoid.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Should’ve also said....”You will hear the solenoid cycle”
Old 12-11-2017, 08:34 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Poland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
Should’ve also said....”You will hear the solenoid cycle”
Fridge and propane alarm powered on. When I hit outside switch I hear a click is that what you mean by hearing the solenoid cycle?
Old 12-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Yes. The solenoid has a definite, loud click when it cycles. You could, carefully, open the quick connect valve in the box near solenoid switch to see if anything comes out.....quickly, briefly. It is fed through the regulator as well.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
I say carefully, because I think there is a high flow shutoff in the line that could close if flow is too high.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:27 AM   #7
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Can't help, but forum member posted this not too long ago:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ed-175705.html

In his case the problem was the regulator... but again, not sure if it is the same issue you are encountering. Just wanted to make sure you had seen that thread.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
My propane level gauge is highly inaccurate. You may be out of propane even if the tank level gauge says you are not. Try pouring a few cups of warm water down the side of the propane tank (easier said than done). The tank wall will be warm above the level of the propane and cool below it.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
My propane level gauge is highly inaccurate. You may be out of propane even if the tank level gauge says you are not. ....
+1. Our gauge is a P.O.S. even though it's only 2 years old.

One of your next steps will be to try to fill your tank, assuming there are no indications of a safety issue. That'll tell you a lot.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:59 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Poland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
+1. Our gauge is a P.O.S. even though it's only 2 years old.

One of your next steps will be to try to fill your tank, assuming there are no indications of a safety issue. That'll tell you a lot.
Thanks for all the replies. I opened up the overfill valve and propane came out, i assume that means there is propane in the tank. The guage has 2 lights on but I understand that is not accurate. Maybe the easiest thing to do is fill the tank and see what happens.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
Needs 12+ volts via house batteries

If you haven't, check your house batteries as the propane solenoid needs a reasonable voltage to open propane line.
iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Possible regulator failure is why I suggested cracking the valve on the quick connect fitting. It is fed by the regulator too.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:06 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Poland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaqstuff View Post
If you haven't, check your house batteries as the propane solenoid needs a reasonable voltage to open propane line.
Thanks was hooked up to shore power so that should not be the issue. Will look at cracking the quick disconnect valve when I get home. Are talking about the valve when you fill up with propane?
Old 12-11-2017, 12:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
The “propane box” on my 2013 AI contains: the bleed valve for fill confirmation, the fill connection, the solenoid switch, and a quick connect fitting for hooking up a grill. The quick connect fitting has a ball valve above it. Wish I could find a photo......
Old 12-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Poland , Ohio
Quote:
The “propane box” on my 2013 AI contains: the bleed valve for fill confirmation, the fill connection, the solenoid switch, and a quick connect fitting for hooking up a grill. The quick connect fitting has a ball valve above it. Wish I could find a photo......
ok I got it mine is the same, you are talking about the quick disconnect for the grill. So if I crack it a little and get gas regulator is good, if no gas either tank is empty or regulator is bad. What about when I open bleed valve and smell gas, that confirms tank has gas correct?
Old 12-11-2017, 02:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Propane is not a gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docevil87 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I opened up the overfill valve and propane came out, i assume that means there is propane in the tank. The guage has 2 lights on but I understand that is not accurate. Maybe the easiest thing to do is fill the tank and see what happens.
Docevil87, Propane is a liquid that gets very thick in colder weather conditions. It may be that your tank is too cold. Remove the tank and take it inside for a while to let the tank and the LP (Liquid Propane) warm up. When the tank feels warm to your touch reinstall it and see what happens then. You may well have this problem and not have been aware of it. Give it a try. Hope it helps, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
BigEd
This is the Interstate forum. Our propane tank is attached to the frame of the vehicle - not possibly to remove without a whole lot of effort.

BTW, It is not that propane gets 'thick' when it is cold. But it does have a much lower vapor pressure. It has to be well below freezing for this to cause a problem. Propane will not vaporize (i.e. will not flow) below -44F.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
BigEd
This is the Interstate forum. Our propane tank is attached to the frame of the vehicle - not possibly to remove without a whole lot of effort.

BTW, It is not that propane gets 'thick' when it is cold. But it does have a much lower vapor pressure. It has to be well below freezing for this to cause a problem. Propane will not vaporize (i.e. will not flow) below -44F.
I was aware that it is the Interstate forum but was not aware that tank could not be removed...Sorry. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
The bleed will confirm presence of propane. The only time it will confirm level in the tank is if it spits liquid.....that will say “I’M FULL! STOP!” As I understand it, the bleed is there as a backup in case the tank automatic fill-shutoff fails....not to be depended upon however.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:06 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Poland , Ohio
Quote:
The bleed will confirm presence of propane. The only time it will confirm level in the tank is if it spits liquid.....that will say “I’M FULL! STOP!” As I understand it, the bleed is there as a backup in case the tank automatic fill-shutoff fails....not to be depended upon however.
Thanks guys, its been cold here in northeast ohio, but not that cold. Going to fill tank this weekend. Saw on line there was a recall with regulator for my year. Didn't have vin # when i talked to airstream today. Hopefully full tank will solve issue, wont see warm weather for a while.