Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2018, 03:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
The bleed valve does not go through the solenoid. I suppose you could empty it that way. Not ideal, but maybe no choice.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Temple City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
The bleed valve does not go through the solenoid. I suppose you could empty it that way. Not ideal, but maybe no choice.

The valve next to the fill? I've tried that and nothing comes out of that valve. Is there another one?
dapolrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapolrbear View Post
The valve next to the fill? I've tried that and nothing comes out of that valve. Is there another one?
If there is no gaseous propane coming from that valve when opened (you have to twist it) then something is wrong. Either the tank is empty or the line is blocked. Worth checking this further.

Also this valve is not a good way to try to empty the tank - it would likely take several days and be dangerous to release all the propane over time nest the van. Most articles I've seen on emptying a propane tank on vehicle use a big weed burner device on a hose away from vehicle.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:47 PM   #24
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Can you use the 'Quick Connect' port to hook up your lpg appliance and see if it comes out there?
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:50 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
If there is no gaseous propane coming from that valve when opened (you have to twist it) then something is wrong. Either the tank is empty or the line is blocked. Worth checking this further.

Also this valve is not a good way to try to empty the tank - it would likely take several days and be dangerous to release all the propane over time nest the van. Most articles I've seen on emptying a propane tank on vehicle use a big weed burner device on a hose away from vehicle.

Got the van back today, i'm going to take it to a propane supply place and see if they can evacuate the tank thru the fill. I checked the bleeder again and now it works. Kinda scary bleeding it out thru there. I'm gonna check out the quick connect, as Alex AVI suggested, and see if I can find a propane heater or fire ring to hook up and burn the propane off. After emptying the tank I take it back so they can install the solenoid valve.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:55 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
No propane flow

Have them add a manual shut off valve between tank and solenoid valve if possible. Iím a little surprised there is no shutoff on the tank or at least before the solenoid valve. A few bucks not spent for added safety....
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:57 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
yes, the bleed valve is the little brass valve next to the fill port. I don't understand how nothing can come out of that if the tank is full. My understanding (from the Roadtrek article and elsewhere) is that the bleed does not have anything before it (no regulator, solenoid, float valve, etc.).

On a related note, I have seen AS chime in a lot lately with a 'please contact us'. Can anybody share info. on to what extent the contacting accomplished anything, or is it just for PR purposes?
Old 06-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
It seems to me that the remote propane connect would HAVE to be downstream of the same solenoid and/or regulator that is causing your problem.

I agree that it is far from ideal to empty the tank through the bleed valve, but don't know what other choice you have unless you can somehow mechanically open the solenoid, as suggested earlier.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:09 PM   #29

Quote:
I'm gonna check out the quick connect, as Alex AVI suggested, and see if I can find a propane heater or fire ring to hook up and burn the propane off.
Not meaning to make a very serious issue like this funny, but I just realized how funny it would look to your neighbors if you actually got a heater fired up running all night in almost summer temps in So. Cal. But if it works, who cares what the neighbors think Best of luck.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:20 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Funny as it might be, all his appliances are downstream of the defective solenoid valve. Sigh.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:50 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
yes, the bleed valve is the little brass valve next to the fill port. I don't understand how nothing can come out of that if the tank is full. My understanding (from the Roadtrek article and elsewhere) is that the bleed does not have anything before it (no regulator, solenoid, float valve, etc.).

On a related note, I have seen AS chime in a lot lately with a 'please contact us'. Can anybody share info. on to what extent the contacting accomplished anything, or is it just for PR purposes?

The bleed valve decided to work today, so at least its functioning as designed.

I contacted AS and they forwarded my info and problem to Jeremy Allen, he gave me a call right away and is very helpful and concerned about the problem. Jeremy said he will support the dealer with info and parts if needed.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:00 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Have them add a manual shut off valve between tank and solenoid valve if possible. Iím a little surprised there is no shutoff on the tank or at least before the solenoid valve. A few bucks not spent for added safety....

Doesn't look like its possible to add a manual shut off.

Below is the solenoid/valve that needs to be changed. The blue thread lock goes directly into the tank, no hose. Solenoid is black and the round knob cuts off propane after the solenoid. Small thread goes to hose that feeds everything that needs propane.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5974.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	313983  
Old 06-14-2018, 01:30 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Not meaning to make a very serious issue like this funny, but I just realized how funny it would look to your neighbors if you actually got a heater fired up running all night in almost summer temps in So. Cal. But if it works, who cares what the neighbors think Best of luck.

I just read your terrifying experience, my propane issue is just a minor inconvenience in comparison. So glad your grandson is ok and hope everything works out for you.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:00 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
The 'round knob' may be the key - if it allows flow around the solenoid instead of shutting off flow downstream of the solenoid.

You could still have a manual shutoff if the manual valve was screwed into the tank and the solenoid was screwed into the manual valve. If there is room for both...
Old 06-14-2018, 12:13 PM   #35

Quote:
I just read your terrifying experience, my propane issue is just a minor inconvenience in comparison. So glad your grandson is ok and hope everything works out for you.
Thank you, baby is good. Your propane situation is still a critical & safety situation that all of us can run into. So I follow your progress daily. Best of luck.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Quote:

Below is the solenoid/valve that needs to be changed. The blue thread lock goes directly into the tank, no hose. Solenoid is black and the round knob cuts off propane after the solenoid. Small thread goes to hose that feeds everything that needs propane.
Hm. Looking at that, it seems the knob shuts off flow before the gas gets to the solenoid valve. I wonder if a replacement solenoid assembly could be installed by shutting off the knob part of the valve, carefully disassembling just the solenoid part from the brass body, and slipping a new one in. Your replacement valve would have to be the exact same model and part number to pull it off. Worth considering...

Maybe the coil is all that's wrong--did you check it with a multimeter for high resistance or open circuit? If it is not drawing current, the valve will not open.

If not, the valve plunger and spring is the issue--as always, use non-sparking tools, eye protection, and use a licensed, experienced, professional propane technician if you are not sure how to work on this....

If the picture is your spare part in hand, check the coil resistance to verify your old one's proper value. I'd also examine it closely to see how it is put together, to see if a solenoid-only swap is possible....
Old 06-17-2018, 11:14 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
Quote:

I had the same issue.
I cut off the propane with the small round knob and took the solenoid/valve out. It will separate from the bronze part. Cleaned everything up put it back together and everything worked fine. Did not had any propane escape.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:39 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Trempealeau , Wisconsin
Many times it is a bad pig tail at your LP tanks. They are known to have problems and pin holes. Replacement is a simple fix.
twrastall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:54 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchw View Post
I had the same issue.
I cut off the propane with the small round knob and took the solenoid/valve out. It will separate from the bronze part. Cleaned everything up put it back together and everything worked fine. Did not had any propane escape.

Really?! Service manager thinks the whole valve is bad. Now they are dropping the whole tank out of the van and taking it somewhere to evacuate the propane. I'll update if this works. I will also mention what you did to the service manager and see if he'll consider that route.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:23 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
No propane flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchw View Post
I had the same issue.

This is probably the intent of this valve with separate manual shut-off valve. Lets you rebuild/repair rather than replace. Not all LP solenoid valves I looked at have this feature. But our culture is now more focused on just replacing stuff.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote