Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2023, 09:23 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2019 ​Interstate 19
San Antonio , Texas
No Power to Multiplex

Apologies in advance I am a total newbie. I've had this 2018 Interstate Touring Coach for 2 years but never actually drove it or used it. It was parked here and plugged in to shore power at my new house by my inspector. Mercedes took it for me to be inspected and they installed a new starter battery. They brought it back and parked it. A week later I plugged it back in to shore power. The microwave shows 0:00 lit up but the fridge wont power on and I can't get the multiplex to power on.
I hope its a totally stupid question. What need to be done to have the multiplex come on?
Or is there a real problem?
Many thanks in advance.
RachelZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 10:14 AM   #2
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Not sure which Multiplus you have, but there is a physical rocker switch on the bottom of the unit to choose between 'charge only', 'off', and 'on'. Perhaps the switch is in the off or charge only position.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 11:10 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2019 ​Interstate 19
San Antonio , Texas
Uploading pics of the Multiplex I have, and the cable (the red light will not light) and the surge protector.

I've tried
with and without the surge protector- it has values 60K E O 123
another outlet
another cable (red light wont light)
starting the engine
can't see anything like a switch on the Multiplex - that was a good idea!

At least I am feeling less stupid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1507[1].jpg
Views:	58
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	429141   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1501[1].jpg
Views:	45
Size:	452.8 KB
ID:	429142  

Name:	IMG_1509[1].jpg
Views:	37
Size:	450.3 KB
ID:	429143  
Old 03-14-2023, 11:15 AM   #4
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Not seeing a Multiplus in these pictures.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
Old 03-14-2023, 11:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Is the 12v main switch on? The microwave will light up as that is powered by 110 and not 12v when tied to shore power. The red light in that switch should be lit up.
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 11:21 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2019 ​Interstate 19
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Not seeing a Multiplus in these pictures.
That's what my manual calls the little screen that controls everything - that's the completely black screen pic I posted first.

Is there something else I should find?
Old 03-14-2023, 11:22 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2019 ​Interstate 19
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StogieMan View Post
Is the 12v main switch on? The microwave will light up as that is powered by 110 and not 12v when tied to shore power. The red light in that switch should be lit up.
Where would the 12v main switch be?

I went to my manual and found.... something about if the batteries get below 8 DV there is not enough power to power the switch. Its possible something was on in the Interstate and while it went to the shop and came back it ran down the batteries below 8 DV. I saw something about this in the manual, not to let the coach batteries run completely out- but not what I should do if they do run out.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:23 AM   #8
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelZ3 View Post
That's what my manual calls the little screen that controls everything - that's the completely black screen pic I posted first.

Is there something else I should find?
Okay... I thought you were talking about a Victron Multiplus.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Right there in your picture where it says "Main Disc Switch." Start there. There is also a remote manual one next to the breaker box out back.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:

I went to my manual and found.... something about if the batteries get below 8 DV there is not enough power to power the switch. Its possible something was on in the Interstate and while it went to the shop and came back it ran down the batteries below 8 DV. I saw something about this in the manual, not to let the coach batteries run completely out- but not what I should do if they do run out.
You can grab a multimeter and check the voltage at the batteries, or under the jump seat. I believe that you can also see it on the Magnum inverter display.

How long did Mercedes have it at the shop? If it was there for a few days and if you didn't tell them to run an extension cord - they probably didn't do it.
Old 03-14-2023, 12:22 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2019 ​Interstate 19
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Right there in your picture where it says "Main Disc Switch." Start there. There is also a remote manual one next to the breaker box out back.
The light is not on I did try to switch it.

Should I go for the manual one?
Old 03-14-2023, 12:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
The light is not on I did try to switch it.

Should I go for the manual one?

You can try but if the batteries are dead it won’t work. You’ll need to know the voltage to see if they’re dead. Now that you’re plugged into shore power, I would just wait to see if they take a charge. If they don’t come back then you’ll probably need to replace the batteries.

Again, check the voltage to see how bad they are with a multimeter. If they’re AGM original batteries, they are under the van in back of the drivers side back tire(s).
Old 03-23-2023, 12:33 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
DuBois , Pennsylvania
Just as an FYI, when the you turn on the house switch it is actually remotely turning on this manual switch (pic) by the breaker box that StogieMan referred to. This had me kind of confused when I first bought my 2016 AI.
This is a link to it's manual: https://static.watski.com/files/701-...plug-11ADa.pdf

Rich
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ManualHouseSwitch.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	429388  
Backpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 03:45 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2019 ​Interstate 19
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
You can try but if the batteries are dead it won’t work. You’ll need to know the voltage to see if they’re dead. Now that you’re plugged into shore power, I would just wait to see if they take a charge. If they don’t come back then you’ll probably need to replace the batteries.

Again, check the voltage to see how bad they are with a multimeter. If they’re AGM original batteries, they are under the van in back of the drivers side back tire(s).
I have a tech here trying to find the coach batteries. I showed him this post and he checked and he said its maybe a different model?
Just to be sure, this is a 2018 Interstate just 19 feet ... and if anyone has a pic that would be awesome.
Thank you
Old 03-30-2023, 06:44 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
DuBois , Pennsylvania
My 2016 Interstate extended has the batteries behind the driver side rear dual wheels. Yours may be different. Here is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BatteriesRV.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	429613  
Backpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 12:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
I have a tech here trying to find the coach batteries. I showed him this post and he checked and he said its maybe a different model?
Just to be sure, this is a 2018 Interstate just 19 feet ... and if anyone has a pic that would be awesome.
Thank you
Your tech aka "tjrob2000" has posted same question on iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions

This is the reply I just posted on that forum:
"You are a mobile tech and can't find the coach batteries? There are two and they are mounted under passenger and driver step wells. I'd guess all the batteries are dead.

The inverter/charger is inside the passenger seat base.

You should look at Airstreams web site for more info. The owners manuals, which can be downloaded pdf's, now include wiring diagrams in the back. They have lots of videos online with details of all systems. The link below includes a video that tells you where the coach/house batteries are located.
https://support.airstream.com/hc/en-...BJS8GC748TD1TS "

Good luck!
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 03:10 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2019 ​Interstate 19
San Antonio , Texas
I'm going to try to charge it or jump it but I can't find the terminals. (I looked in manual, nothing about that, and I looked in the engine compartment, nothing looked like terminals but I bet they are there).

Can you please tell me or give me a link to how to jump a 2018 Interstate 19 battery?

nevermind, sorry for the bother, i found the link here:
https://support.airstream.com/hc/en-...2MFP0HHB6113Z4
Old 03-30-2023, 06:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
I'm going to try to charge it or jump it but I can't find the terminals. (I looked in manual, nothing about that, and I looked in the engine compartment, nothing looked like terminals but I bet they are there).

Can you please tell me or give me a link to how to jump a 2018 Interstate 19 battery?

nevermind, sorry for the bother, i found the link here:
https://support.airstream.com/hc/en-...2MFP0HHB6113Z4
Glad you found the video on jump starting your Sprinter/Interstate. In your fist post you said the van has sat for 2 years unused. That means the batteries are dead and damaged. They will likely need to be replaced before you can move forward with fixing it.

Getting the starter battery replaced is a good first step so you can drive the van. Then I recommend driving it to your nearest Airstream dealer that works on Interstates. Camping World would be a good alternative as they have experienced techs.

Good luck!
Old 03-30-2023, 08:16 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2019 ​Interstate 19
San Antonio , Texas
Lemme clarify... they haven't sat for 2 years... its just that *I* haven't driven one in two years

I drove the 2020 from PA to FL in 2020 and parked it and used it while my house in FL is under construction. That's the Roadtrek.

I bought the 2018 Airstream Interstate while the Roadtrek was in the shop for a ridiculous about of time. I learned from the Roadtrek that I wanted a lot of what the Airstream has.

They both lived behind the house in FL, on shore power, and when their starter batteries died we got solar battery tenders and paid more attention.

Last year we moved to TX. We drove a car.

Our friends who are also RV techs (really great techs) drove the RVs to us and parked them.

Everything running fine, except the infotainment center in the 2020 (MBUX) which never worked.

On shore power.

That was September.

I used them as warehouses from the move from Florida, they lived at my house in TX.

I was getting the 2020 Roadtrek registered in TX which required a couple steps, insurance, inspection, registration... along with a lot of other stuff you can imagine...

The Roadtrek went in to the Mercedes Dealer for inspection in November but due to a snafu they forgot it was there. (and I wasn't thinking about shutting down the inverter when it left)
I drove to PA in the car after Thanksgiving and returned on Christmas, asked about my Roadtrek at the dealer and surprise got it done... but by the time they had it done I got Covid for Christmas.

January they swapped the Roadtrek for the Airstream (again I did not think about the inverter) and I plugged it in to shore power. But they hadn't fixed the infotainment console.

They said the Airstream could use a new starter battery, and it was old. I got the new starter battery. They brought back the Airstream and took the Roadtrek.

It took me a week to plug the Airstream in to shore power.

I waited for the Roadtrek to come back, I was going to start going through them together.

The Roadtrek comes back, I plug it in and both of them are having problems.

The Airstream display wont light. (Multiplex, from the title of this thread)
The Roadtrek also wasn't getting power to the coach (I'll spare you, its not an Airstream).

The tech said that the Roadtrek Lithium batteries were good, but he thinks the electrical system that serves it with 12V is messed up.

And the new starter battery on the Airstream was dead.

So that's where we are... *I* haven't driven an RV in two years but they were AOK except for the infotainment system.

You empowered me, reminds me what RVing is about. Its nice sure to have someone come do the work for you but in the end its about doing it yourself.

The Mercedes people kinda stranded me. Didn't want to send someone to pick it up if I couldn't assure them it would start.

I moved the Roadtrek (it was in front of the Airstream) ... and I did NOT do the parking brake release right... oy... I never used it... the Mercedes guy parked them with the parking brake... had to look that up and it was a pain but I got it.
I used the Roadtrek to jump the Airstream.

Mercedes picking it up in the morning.

I am trying to find a tech who is familiar with these B Class RVs in San Antonio area.
Old 03-31-2023, 12:55 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Rachel - wishing you all the best. You have learned a hard lesson that most of us touring coach owners know all to well. These Sprinter based B-vans don't do well when left sitting for even a week or two unless they have been provided some additional energy source like adequate solar charging for all batteries or external electrical source that keeps all batteries topped off.

Stay safe,