Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2006, 03:37 PM   #1

2005 18' Westphalia
Minneapolis , Minnesota
No More Westies?

I'm new to the forum so bear with me while I figure out how this works.

We just bought a 2005 Spinter Westfalia, in fact we haven't even picked it up but are really looking forward to it. We've had a VW Westy for 15 yrs.

Anyhow I was talking to tech support at Airstream trying to find out how long the "coolbox" would run without being charged and then how long you had to run the generator to recharge it (we like to stay in places with no plugins)

During our conversation she said that she didn't know because there are not that many around and that all the Westys that were going to be available have been imported (not all released yet) and there are no plans to import any more. She didn't know why.

Has anyone else heard anything about this? Do we have an instant "limited edition collectible"? I thought this was a great van and they'd sell a ton of them.
thewestyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello thewestyguy -- and welcome to the Forums! We don't hear much from Westfalia owners here though they are most welcome. Start threads and post plenty of pictures (ice fishing?) and make the rest of us wonder why we didn't catch this wave! This isn't an area of mine but I know this thread addressed the same issue.

And I'm always glad to have one more Minnesotan with not single bit of accent in their voice ...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
For all you Westie fans there's a new one on eBay via a Jacksonville FL dealer... Item #290056137842.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums. It appears you will be joining the small but happy group of Airstream motor home owners. We just have to admit that Airstream is a trailer making company. Those of us who were lucky enough to find one of the motor homes they did produce are truly fortunate.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:06 PM   #5

2006 18' Westphalia
Houston , Texas
No More Westies?

Airstream was unable to sell enough Westfalias to make the case for continued sales in the US. I suspect the MSRP of $84 K scared off a lot of potential buyers.

Westfalia has also discontinued production of the current US model Westfalia. Mercedes has a new "James Cook" (the original Mercedes Sprinter Camper from which the US "Westfalia" was derived) based on the 2007 model redesigned Sprinter. I don't believe the design is available in the US yet so I don't expect anyone will be marketing the new Westfalia-designed campers until the new vans are being sold over here.

You can get a 2004 Sprinter/2005 Airstream Westfalia -- the last year model that Airstream imported -- for under $60K as dealers unload them. Most Airstream dealers don't have much expertise in their service and repair, but the Airstream service center in Ohio has that expertise and has a very good reputation for responsiveness and quality work.

Dodge supports the Sprinter van chassis for DaimlerChrysler, so it's likely that you can find local service for the van itself.
bee-alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
thewestyguy,

Welcome aboard. I was looking hard at the Westfalia but then decided at my age I didn't want to climb into bed so I bought the more conventional Sprinter B-van. Other than that I think you got a great RV. Mercedes-Benz has changed their Sprinter design and there probably will not be any new models available for conversion in the USA until late next year. Since James Cook is already being sold with the new design in Europe it may be just a matter of time before Westfalia Sprinters show up again. It is too good of a design for someone to not to take on whether it be Airstream or someone else.

There are some other Westfalia owners with a lot of expertise that frequent the RV.net Campervan forum. There are also some other Sprinter centric forums but I haven't got into them. Sprinter seems to be the rallying point. We had a Mini Minne B Van Rally last August near Hinckley and will probably have one again near Lanesboro, MN next summer for us upper Midwesterners. The big RV-net B-van rally in North Carolina next May has already filled up.

I'm still a working stiff and just did not have the time to devote to my vintage Airstream trailer so I sold it and bought the Sprinter for instant gratification to chase after breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Last week they got 2 new ones delivered to Bates RV and had 2 in stock. Things are very slow there now, you might get a good deal. Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:16 AM   #8

san diego , California
major headache

we just bought a sprinter westfalia from airstream and it has been the largest headache of my life. they handed me our $80,000 rig with keys that didnt work to the door locks and plastic panels that were falling off the vehicle. since the purchase a few months back, i have had severe flooding from the side windows. the side doors are rusting were the mechanics scraped of the silicone from the black plastic panels that continuosly fall off, my auxillary outlets dont work, my reverse lights have continuously stopped working, my shower hose wont recoil, and my van is a mix of duct tape and plastic to fix the problems. Airstream has made it clear that they have no intention of going out of there way to fix any problems. In addition the 5 star dodge dealer wants nothing to do with the service of this sprinter van. I have driven over 50 hours to different shops trying to fix my problems, especially the flooded window and the only result of my trips has been the purchase of a snorkel that i can to swim in my vehicle. if you have a million dollars and a couple hundred hours of free time to fix the bugs then this is the perfect vehicle, otherwise this van will be your full time job.
charlie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Looks like your dealer did no PDI inspection. The vehical should not have left with these problems. Please call Aistream in Ohio and calmly relay your problems. Not all Dodge dealers are authorized to work on Sprinters, but most can now. The rv part is your dealers responsibility, if not satisfied call Ohio. Remember the Dodge dealer can only work on the Sprinter itself, anything on the rv side is Airstream. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
They are very cool inside. Very practical. But frightfully tall. Must be a real challenge in the wind. I'll bet I'm not the first prospective buyer to conclude this. We wanted to test drive one but the dealer was locked out by the secuirty system so we drove an Interstate instead.

My wife really wanted the Westy. The wind issue convinced both of us to buy the Interstate.
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #11

Boulder , Colorado
According to the salesperson at Intermountain Coach in Colorado Springs, where they supposedly have had the best sales of the Westfalia in the US, I have the recent distinction of being the purchaser of the last new Westfalia for sale in this country. According to Andrew (salesperson), IC ordered the last three units for sale by Airstream, and I hurried down there to nab the final one. They made a great impression on me after all the Roadtreks, Pleasureways, Sportsmobiles, etc I'd been investigating!

He said Airstream was not making enough on an already pricey model and simply had to stop importing them. They will continued to be sold in Europe, however.

hth,
Brian
briborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:13 AM   #12

2005 18' Westphalia
Huntington Beach , California
Any body has maintenance schedule list that need to be checked regulary for westy?
songjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:36 AM   #13
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
And I'm always glad to have one more Minnesotan with not single bit of accent in their voice ...
Accent?? Minnesoooootan's don't have accents!!!! Everyone else does. Welcome aboard.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:46 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
I marrried a Minnesotan oveseas, and on our honeymoon went back to Oklahoma to visit my folks. After a couple of days,my mom said, privately, to me; "You know, son, you married a fine girl, but sometimes I can't understand her brogue. She's got such an accent."
You'd have to be from Oklahoma to understand that one.
regards
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Minn-uh-sotAH accents? When I first visited Minnesota in 1968 and visited inlaws in a western Minnesota farm community I was the oddity (Hoosier). Of course they all sounded like Fargo movie casting call hopefuls to me. I talked too slow. Back then that was my impression of Kentuckians. Now, after being in Minnesota 37 years my old Speedway (Indianapolis) high school classmates think I sound funny. Now the scary thing is I recorded an out of office voice mail last week and when I listened to it I still had that Hoosier slow draw out of breath sigh. Yes, Yes! I still have it.

I revisited a Westfalia at the RV.net 4th Annual B Rally last month and was impressed. In some ways I kind of wished I bought one. They are one cool van. Hope someone brings back the new model.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
52 Weekends

I went to the Airstream company site and see they still have the Westfalia listed including their nifty 52 Weekends feature for the Westfalia. If they are no longer offering them why isn't their web site updated?
Old 06-10-2007, 04:02 PM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
I went to the Airstream company site and see they still have the Westfalia listed including their nifty 52 Weekends feature for the Westfalia. If they are no longer offering them why isn't their web site updated?
They don't update much of anything on that site...they still have a "forum" that has been shut down for over a year for "updating". When new models are introduced one of the best places to see them first is a dealer's website. Colonial Airstream is one that comes to mind.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Just a few notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewestyguy
I'm new to the forum so bear with me while I figure out how this works.

We just bought a 2005 Spinter Westfalia, in fact we haven't even picked it up but are really looking forward to it. We've had a VW Westy for 15 yrs.

Anyhow I was talking to tech support at Airstream trying to find out how long the "coolbox" would run without being charged and then how long you had to run the generator to recharge it (we like to stay in places with no plugins)

During our conversation she said that she didn't know because there are not that many around and that all the Westys that were going to be available have been imported (not all released yet) and there are no plans to import any more. She didn't know why.

Has anyone else heard anything about this? Do we have an instant "limited edition collectible"? I thought this was a great van and they'd sell a ton of them.
Just remember that the "generator" runs off of propane and, your on-board supplies of propane fuel is very very limited to a little over 7 lbs.
When I first saw this I question the A/S factory rep as to why they didn't use diesel for the generator, etc and just save the propane for the stove..HIS REPLY WAS SIZE underneath was the answer given. (I don't believe that for one minute.) The size of the propane tank is the primary issue in this case. It's just too darn small..Half way thru a weekend camping trip and I had to pull up stakes to refill.
BTW, all version of the WESTIE had the AC unit retrofitted to a much superior cooling unit. You might want to check and make sure your unit had that done..The earlier models were unable to handle the cooling requirement as found in the hotter climate. The newer A/C version are a piece of art~!
The curb side window will and does leak..A known issues.
The cool-box is just that..You either use it as a frig or a freezer but, not both at the same time. Use the overhead console to set ur temp. I love the way the wet shower is set-up. Nice.
Microwave's location is a pain in the butt. Last but not least, to climb above into the overhead bed..Don't grab the left side cabinets to pull yourself up.. IT JUST WON'T DO`!
There's alot more to like than dislike.
Almost forgot..COLD WEATHER STARTING? You got to remember to turn the starter key on and then off (when the glow plugs go out) repeat for 5 times before giving it the hard start. WORKS..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
I started my Sprinter diesel on a below zero day after it had sat for over a month and it started right up with one try.