Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2021, 11:53 AM   #1
DNM
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Madison , South Dakota
No map updates post 3yr warranty period.

I heard this on a Thor forum but didn't belive it; belive it! You can update software, currently V3.8 VIM V2.9, but not the oem maps. I spoke with Jascon at Garmin/Fusion and he checked into it but found no work around. You can't purchase a separate contract to extent the service. His suggestion was to call Airstream or by a new unit. Some business model! I spoke with Erick at Airstream, he had not heard of the problem but promised to check on it and get back to me.

I don't know why this hasn't exploded on the Forum, maybe warranties are just running out. I used Garmin express with a Micro SD (has to be 32 GB) and Software upgrade was seemless. If someone has found another way to do it please let us know how. In the mean time I will watch out for low bridges and wait for Erick's reply.
Thanks,
Bob
DNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:40 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Most auto manufacturers provide NO free map updates, in warranty or out. They send you to the map vendor website, where they get you for $150 for the updates. Have the same NAV unit in more than one car? You'll need to shell out $150 for EACH VEHICLE - they code the software media (DVD or USB drive) to the VIN so it can't be used in more than one vehicle.

I learned this the hard way about 15 years ago when I sprung the $150 for a NAV update for my Jeep. The update had the same old data and introduced several new errors. Never again....

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:04 PM   #3
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Agreed, no built-in nav systems in any vehicle I buy, not ever again. Too expensive to update when you can do so, and too pointless to bother. I use Google Maps, RV Life app, etc.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
I have a 2020 Sierra, came w/ the navigation ( I don't think anyone is building vehicles w/o navigation anymore?). Maps were outdated from the get-go, especially when you consider Google Maps on your phone is always up-to-date...

Sure, you might have some areas that you're out of your cell coverage, but Google Maps will let you download a trip ahead of time.

Just received a "special deal" in my email: GM has an update for the maps available for purchase. $50 off, so it's down to $99.99. Comes on an SD card you can swap.

I might have considered it for $10, just because I do prefer using the in-dash navigation as opposed to having to use it on the phone as I drive. But a hundred? They're off by an order of magnitude on reasonable pricing. No thank you, they can keep it.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I bought an update on an SD card for my Nissan on EBay for a third of what the dealer charges. About due to update again…
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Note that Federal law requires seven years for parts from date of manufacture for vehicles. At year 8 your GPS becomes a stale boat anchor as no more new GPS maps are made available.

So the factory Radio/GPS on my 2012 Ram 2500HD is now just a XM Radio radio and I have a Garmin portable RV GPS that updates several times a year over the internet. The major interstates have not moved, but local directions were never the strong suite for the Ram GPS system. And one had to actually stop to change any navigation parameters in the RAM.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I have a NAV system on my F150. I personally like it, and it is more up to date than my wife’s Garmin that we just bought. The big problem I have is that when I tow I have a rear camera on the dash. If I had another screen to deal with it would be distracting; at least to me, since I often have my phone NAV system on (WAZE) as well when going through some areas. I have learned to be extremely cautious trusting NAV systems. My son just got back from a trip and his NAV system took him across the most ridiculous roads ever with his RV.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:55 PM   #8
DNM
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Madison , South Dakota
thanks for your replies. My worry is that my phone dosen't know to watch out for low bridges or weight restrictions. That is why I would appreciate an update on the Fusion.
DNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Might consider the RV specific GPS models (I have had two Garmin. and one McNally of road map fame) so the bridges and other towing issues are a part of the design and can implement warnings.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:30 AM   #10

The key here is Apple CarPlay or Android Auto support in your vehicle’s radio. Once you get that, all arguments about multiple screens fall by the wayside, because you only need one. We achieved this by upgrading the radio in our van. If you have a Kenwood or Fusion radio in your van, get rid of that boat anchor and replace it with an Alpine or a Pioneer unit with full support for CarPlay / Android Auto and a larger floating screen, and you’ll never look back.

The RV Life app offers RV-friendly directions via the RV GPS component, if that’s important to you. Their support for CarPlay isn’t 100% yet, but it is improving over time and is usable at this point.

We alternate between using Google Maps and RV Life. As RV Life’s CarPlay support improves, I expect we’ll be using it more often than not while on our adventures.

Old 08-03-2021, 07:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
The key here is Apple CarPlay or Android Auto support in your vehicle’s radio. Once you get that, all arguments about multiple screens fall by the wayside, because you only need one. We achieved this by upgrading the radio in our van. If you have a Kenwood or Fusion radio in your van, get rid of that boat anchor and replace it with an Alpine or a Pioneer unit with full support for CarPlay / Android Auto and a larger floating screen, and you’ll never look back.

The RV Life app offers RV-friendly directions via the RV GPS component, if that’s important to you. Their support for CarPlay isn’t 100% yet, but it is improving over time and is usable at this point.

We alternate between using Google Maps and RV Life. As RV Life’s CarPlay support improves, I expect we’ll be using it more often than not while on our adventures.
The main problem with using cell phone and Airplay (which I have used and is a nice feature) is that if there isn’t cell service it doesn’t function. Also it gobbles up data on the phone. Apple Maps will use 1.8MB every 20 minutes. Google maps about 5MB per hour. Not a huge amount, but if I use it all the time it could be problematic. AND if I run out of data for some reason (streaming, etc), then my ability to use Airplay really slows to a crawl. This is why I like either a GARMIN or my NAV system. I typically have a GARMIN along even if I don’t use it, because I still use it as a check. Where I like using WAZE or something similar is in metro areas where one can run into unknown construction or detours.

Also I like to use my Sirius XM radio while traveling. I could use Pandora on Airplay, but again it sucks up data which I kind of want to preserve.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:19 AM   #12

No map updates post 3yr warranty period.

All interesting points, but you’re missing a few things:
Download maps for offline use with Google Maps or RV Life. I never use Apple Maps because it lets me down every time with bad directions, etc.
I also use Sirius/XM radio while using CarPlay for Maps. No issues.
Your rig, your money, your time, do whatever seems best for you. Just sharing some ideas here.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:18 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Does anyone use the trucker-specific devices/apps?
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:17 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
our 2010 was a disaster - but last fall I purchased a dev online for about $9.00, followed u-tube directions to remove the old dvd which was hidden in the system and put in the new dvd - of Course Toyota wised up and the newer models do not have this option. My Fiat Spider 124 came with no map, but but was able to add the Nav maps by purchasing a SD chip on Amazon and simply plugging it in, My 2018 Ram has a Navigator that we use, but in reality the best option is to use our phones for directions especially when we get close to our destinations - The navigators on vehicles are pretty options on the dash that seem to be an expensive option for accurate travel.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:26 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
[Edited to delete - I didn't realize this was a Sprinter/B-Van specific post. Deleted before the flogging could begin. Retreating back to the trailer forums....]
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:16 AM   #16

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
_ , Tennessee
Recently acquired our 2018 24GL and discovered the same thing. Neither of the previous 2 owners updated it from the original 2016 maps. Map update is definitely needed. I used it on our maiden voyage home since I had no way to mount my phone. It gave me an outdated route that I luckily caught in time.

I was able to update the firmware to the most recent version but hit a brick wall trying to update the maps. So I've given up and ordered a new head unit with a larger screen and Android Auto/Carplay support.
Silverhawk95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:03 PM   #17

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Note that Federal law requires seven years for parts from date of manufacture for vehicles.
I would double check the seven year federal requirement.
Bruce Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Ok, but if you won't update be aware that if you are north bound I-75 at Chattanooga looking to turn west onto I-24 the un-updated GPS will tell you to get into the left two lanes. The traffic signs were only half updated with road conditions/construction......I-24 west is the right two lanes.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote