Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2021, 02:04 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 19
Hattiesburg , Mississippi
I explained above that I think my problem with the house battery system was of my own making. I probably ran them down with the tank heaters, thinking the heater switch was for the Battle Born heaters which have a lower set of temperature parameters. I made a 300 mile drive last Sunday and everything worked. There is still a faint electric smell if I put my nose in the breaker box but that may be normal. I don’t plan to file any complaints.

I do plan to see if the Mercedes dealer can help me with the cruise control unpredictably disengaging and unpredictably refusing to engage. I understand it could be a seat switch, a wheel speed sensor, a dirty radar detector or a brake switch malfunction among other things.

I would like to see an Airstream manual like the Pleasure Way manual which goes into detail on the systems and illustrates with color photography the actual equipment installations. In addition to the bag full of manuals Pleasure Way provides a detailed list with accurate model numbers of exactly what equipment is installed in the coach.

I am happy with the Airstream dealer. He is one of the reasons I switched to Airstream. Another was the comfort of the Mercedes chassis compared to the Ford Transit. I could not have made a 300 mile drive in the Transit seat at this point with my back problems. The AI 19 4x4 is a real pleasure to drive.

I am still waiting for the Mercedes dealer to get in stock an OEM Mercedes battery. I am using a new non-OEM battery until then. And leaving it on a battery charger.
billstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Have you filed a safety complaint with NHTSA?

Have you filed a complaint with BBB on the failure of the dealer to promptly fix the safety problem?
Go to this link to file a complaint.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

I did it a few years ago about the location the propane fill panel low behind the rear tire after I scraped off the connection in a pot hole at low speed. When I went to use the propane that night I could smell propane as soon as I turned on the valve. I immediately shut it down and got a fitting from Home Depot to cap the broken fitting. That temporary fix got me home until I could do a permanent fix.

Now Airstream has finally moved that panel higher to help avoid possible damage.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:31 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 19
Hattiesburg , Mississippi
Heater controls for batteries and tanks

To be clear the keyed switch on the coach control panel controls the battery heaters as I thought. They are not supposed to run the batteries down overnight. The tank heaters are cotrolled by the mutiplex controller. I have never had them on. The manual says the batteries will last about four hours running the tank heaters.
billstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:21 AM   #24

Chicago , Illinois
Operator error - problem solved

Following up on my post from 12/30. House batteries were dead and couldn't get past the low voltage lockout despite having 15 amp shore power. Then we had a sunny and warm day (38+ degrees) and the solar panels were generating 50-75 watts. The combination of "warm" weather + slow charge reset the BMS and I'm back to normal.

On my long drive into cold weather, I did not have the battery heater on. I made the bad assumption that driving and running systems would keep the battery at an operating temperature and it would continue to charge from the alternator or shore power when we landed. Be extra dilligent in cold weather! If the sun hadn't come out to help us, I'd still have a frozen and dead house battery and therefore, no heat, no generator, no lights, etc.
Glando is offline   Reply With Quote