Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2020, 10:05 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Marco Island , Florida
No hot water

No hot water from either electric or propane in our 2017 Interstate. We are plugged in and have plenty of propane. Stove and heater works. I can see a current draw when I turn on the electric heater but no hot water. The propane lights but does not stay lit. Any ideas?
Appreciate any assistance.
wildwilly. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Water heater bypass open?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:34 AM   #3
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Water heater bypass open?
OP can you post pic of valves that attach lines to tank? If you have a tank style rowiebowie is pointing you in a good direction.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:56 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Marco Island , Florida
Bypass

Where can I locate the bypass?
wildwilly. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Sounds like it could be a mixing valve issue; if you have one on your water heater. Not totally familiar with the Interstate set up. I’ve had the same issue on my 28’ AS. There are two fixes:
1) Drain the hot water heater. Take off the mixing valve. Make sure the screens are clean. Then soak the mixing valve in white vinegar for at least 2 hours. This will clean off residue that gets on the heat sensors that prevents the mixing valve from opening and mixing hot water with cold water.
2) Get a new mixing valve. You can get them on Amazon.

I did #1 first when I had the problem and it worked. I then proceeded to order another mixing valve as a back up if I didn’t have or couldn’t get white vinegar. I now always carry a spare mixing valve.

You will need a small piper wrench to get the mixing valve off and then tighten it.

By the way, not sure how long you have had your 2017. I have a 2017 28’ and it seems like every year I have some issue with the mixing valve. This is due to sediment in water supplies. I did buy a better water filter as well as a softner. Hopefully that will help some. It is a kind of a pain to go through this every year.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
If it is a problem with you mixing valve you will have very little flow of water when the faucet is in the 'hot' position. Having the bypass valve in the bypass position will yield no flow. LPG igniting then going and current draw but no hot water sound like two totally unrelated problems. For the LPG problem trying unplugging and replugging all connections inside the outside vent cover.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
If it is a problem with you mixing valve you will have very little flow of water when the faucet is in the 'hot' position. Having the bypass valve in the bypass position will yield no flow. LPG igniting then going and current draw but no hot water sound like two totally unrelated problems. For the LPG problem trying unplugging and replugging all connections inside the outside vent cover.
Not necessarily. If the mixing valve is plugged that would be the case. But we had a good flow of water on “hot” and no hot water; at least until I soaked it.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I stand corrected. Didn't realize that you could have good flow, but not hot flow. When my mixing valve was plugged it reduced the flow of hot water when the faucet was in the hot position.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote