Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2019, 07:59 AM   #1
X New Yorker

2013 Interstate Coach
Springfield , Massachusetts
No Air Conditioning

My air conditioning died at the International Rally which I then had to cut short (I just could not handle the 100+ days in the van). The RV tech, that worked on it at the rally, advised that I needed a new fan which we replaced and now it seems it was the compressor.

Question can I replace the compressor or should I just replace the unit? The band is Domitec and it is ungodly noisy when running.

Is there a better quieter reasonably priced unit out there?

Thank you for the feedback.
X New Yorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by X New Yorker View Post
My air conditioning died at the International Rally which I then had to cut short (I just could not handle the 100+ days in the van). The RV tech, that worked on it at the rally, advised that I needed a new fan which we replaced and now it seems it was the compressor.

Question can I replace the compressor or should I just replace the unit? The band is Domitec and it is ungodly noisy when running.

Is there a better quieter reasonably priced unit out there?

Thank you for the feedback.
Yes. Finally new and quieter ac units are available like the Coleman Mach 10 NDQ. See post #80 in the recent thread below

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ud-121339.html

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
When you change out your ac, consider a 15K btu unit rather than the standard 13.5k unit. I think you'll find increased efficiency in the newer units will allow a size larger and still probably pull an amp less than your old unit.

I did this on my 2012 Avenue and it is not over-sized (too much ac) to go to a little bigger unit even when running on cooler days or nights. Unit still cycles nicely yet it's nice to have a bit more cushion for quicker cool down on hot ones.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:28 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Replace the unit rather than dumping a bunch of parts into it. You might replace the compressor and then find that the control board has issues ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:04 PM   #5
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by X New Yorker View Post
XNEWYORKER - I have no experience with rv a/c problems yet. But I have friends who are licensed HVAC technicians. In my personal opinion only - I would not enlist their help in trying to evacuate/recover the lines to replace a compressor in an old unit that I already consider "ungodly noisy" to start with. My unit is only 1 year old, and like you I too consider it horribly noisy to the point where I would replace it today if certain other criteria could be met. I will live with it until then. But if it breaks tomorrow, I would throw it into the garbage bin and buy a quieter one. I liken rv a/c units to home window units = disposable = clip wires, remove 4 bolts, throw away. You got the perfect excuse to upgrade I will be jealous of your new & quieter unit.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
Best van ac is from Advanced RV in Ohio. They will install it is more powerful and quieter.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchw View Post
Best van ac is from Advanced RV in Ohio. They will install it is more powerful and quieter.
PSCHW - No argument that it is quieter and probably the quietest non-ducted unit out there. But excellent discussion on the other thread about the inner workings of the ARV/Houghton a/c. Good thread to follow for anyone considering the ARV/Houghton.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
This sprinter forum is talking about this unit for vans. Would it work in a travel trailer?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
This sprinter forum is talking about this unit for vans. Would it work in a travel trailer?
STEVESUEMAC - If you're asking about the ARV/Houghton A/C, it should work on TT. No reason I can see why not. It is a direct drop-in replacement for our Dometic Penguin II. In fact, due to an on-going concern that it does not work optimally while van is moving and currently is supposed to be made for static use, it is even more suited for TT.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post

I might need double gaskets and drainage cups or whatever the trailers need for condensation water.