Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2020, 06:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Next automotion shade to work on

Now that I've finished the work on the two shades on the left side of the 2016 AI, I want to turn attention to the other one that is not working. It's a shade in one of the rear doors.

I don't anticipate a lot of problems with the shade itself, but I don't immediately see how to remove the valance on the door so that I can get to the shade. I really don't relish the idea of breaking something right off the bat! Has anybody removed one of these before? How is it attached?

Thanks,
Lynn
Old 02-09-2020, 07:37 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Yes, I took one of these panels off to make adjustments to the shade limits. You will need trim removal tools that you can get at HF or AMZ and a strong conviction to pop the panel off. There are several and some are quite stout. I think I may have googled how to remove the panel and found some video or information on the web. Good Luck
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Ok, so there are plastic trim fasteners? I didn't see any heads, so I guess that part is somehow hidden.

Lynn
Old 02-09-2020, 07:52 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Colorado Springs , Colorado
look t this link. https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=44604

https://www.sprinter-source.com/foru...ad.php?t=39596
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:28 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Key Largo , Florida
So, have either of you successfully removed and then replaced either of the upper rear door panels - the ones with the Automotion Shades mounted to them. Have seen posts where folks completely removed the panels and shades. However, I would like to remove them, replace the shade motors and RF system and then reinstall so the rig retains it original look and feel.

My research leads me to believe the removal and subsequent re-install of the panels is not easy. I even wonder if Jackson Center has the skill to do this.

2016 AI-GT: I have replaced all the side window nightshades and most sunshield motors & rf except for the sliding and rear doors. While the process was a bit time consuming, all now work quite well with my remote. However, I am reluctant to try the rear doors as I doubt my skill in reinstalling the panels so they look as good as the originals.

Any input would be most welcome. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:15 PM   #6
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I would say that it's probably not easy. I had a 5-rivet AS dealer fix one of our electric shades back there. They were successful fixing the shade and putting it back together, but it's not really the best quality job of reassembly. I can see bumps on the inside lining of the door that they re-attached after removing it and replacing the shade motors. These are probably where they struggled to get the "christmas tree" widgets into the door so it would re-attach. I have a pretty strong suspicion that this can't be done more than once or maybe twice before a whole new cover assembly would have to be ordered as a replacement, rebuilt from scratch, or just flat out removed and replaced with magnetic van shades you slap into the window that are made by a third party like Van Made Shades. (Big sigh.)

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
My suggestion is this:

1. Use a hacksaw blade to cut through the clips holding panel to door.

2. Use a knife blade to pull the staples that hold the backed material to the thin plywood panel.

3. Insert new clips into the plywood. THese are available from Amazon, etc.

4. Reattach backed material to plywood using a staple gun with 1/4 inch stapes.

Fix what you want to fix on the shades. (I replaced the motor assembly with simple pull-chain shade clutches. Comparatively cheap on Amazon, etc.)

Reattaching the panel to the door is a snap. Just push the clips into the original holes. and you're done.

Lynn
Old 10-11-2021, 07:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Joe View Post
My research leads me to believe the removal and subsequent re-install of the panels is not easy. I even wonder if Jackson Center has the skill to do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
I would say that it's probably not easy. I had a 5-rivet AS dealer fix one of our electric shades back there.

I can see bumps on the inside lining of the door that they re-attached after removing it and replacing the shade motors. These are probably where they struggled to get the "christmas tree" widgets into the door so it would re-attach.
It is easy to remove if you have the right tools and do not pull on the panels themselves. I have done exactly this to shorten excess wiring on all 4 of my powershades.

1. Use proper stout trim removal tools for these panels, especially the top AI built. The flimsy kinds will break or just bend.

2. Mine is a 2018 AI built on 2017 Sprinter and I still broke a couple of the MB fasteners. Yours is older and will likely be more brittle. I also broke 1 trim tab when I missed an inner MB fastener and pulled too strong without using trim tool.

3. Start by removing bottom MB panel. This gave me better access directly under the light AI mouse fur panel. It was easier for me to see & access the next higher fasteners from the bottom as the lower fasteners got removed.

4. Re-using the MB fasteners is ok if not broken. But the AI fasteners seem to be a tad fatter than the holes they drilled for them which renders them totally bung'ed up after removal. Get fasteners slightly smaller if you can find them. The pic of the naked door below is a non-AI door. You can see that it doesn't have holes to mount the light colored mouse fur panel. So AS had to drill holes for mounting their panel. They could've drilled a slightly larger hole to facilitate easier mounting of the panel.

5. If you looked closely on my re-attached AI top trim panel, I purposely left the 2 bottom corners slightly lifted by not pushing the new clips all the way in. That way if I need to remove again, it's easier to access without removing bottom MB panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190610_124532.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	406078   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190610_124631.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	406079  

Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-3268.jpg