Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2017, 08:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
My five year experience w/ MB was that their service and parts cost several times more than my Chevy dealer (who are not cheap).

What quantity of DEF did you get for $10?

It was a couple of gallons.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
There is a vertical rubber hose at the back corner of the DEF tank. Unhook it so it tips down and remove the cap and you can drain the DEF yourself - and refill it for far less than MB charges. Be sure to get DEF that meets ISO 22241 (probably impossible to find any that doesn't). I drain mine every couple of years. Not entirely sure that I need to, but far cheaper than a problem.

To dispose of the old DEF just dilute it and use it as lawn fertilizer. DEF is 32% urea and urea is used as a nitrogen fertilizer at about 2# per 1000 square feet. Don't use it undiluted - it will burn the lawn (as I found out when some accidentally spilled).
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:35 AM   #23
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Thanks for all the responses... they have been very helpful!

I have a new question. We bought our Interstate primarily as a road trip machine for us and our 4 kids. We have several long trips planned this summer, including to Florida in July. Since there will be passengers in the way back I know we will have to run the generator and coach A/C to keep cool. Question is since generator runs off propane how long before we have to refill the tank? Starting to think this is going to be a pain since one way we might be running generator straight for 10-11 hours! Do some truck stops have propane refill stations? Our propane gauge is already showing 1/3 tank and we have run the generator for maybe 1-2 hours and furnace maybe 4-5 hours. Perhaps tank wasn't full when delivered?
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:45 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You know, we have never needed to run the generator for the roof AC while traveling with kids and other adults in the back in hot weather.

Close the vents that point toward the windows, shoot the center ones toward the back, crank it up and push the recirculation button.

It may not be 60 degrees in the rear, but has always remained reasonably comfortable this way.

Close the blinds to direct sun, too.

Maggie
Old 02-27-2017, 08:06 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Down to 1/3 of a tank (2/3 used) after only 5 hours is unlikely, down 1/3 (2/3 left) is more plausible. Our gauge is notoriously inaccurate - yours may be too. Our Flying J has propane, with a small discount for Good Sam members. Caution: I have never been sure that the FJ propane pump operators knew what they were doing. Camping World might be a better choice.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:39 AM   #26
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Thanks to you both. I will be very happy if the sprinter A/C can keep up and avoid having to run the generator for hours while cruising. I'm guessing the gauge - which is reading 1/3 of a tank (2/3 used) - is wrong or that the tank wasn't delivered full.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:53 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Truthfully, I don't know why the propane would have been full upon delivery.

Generators tend to be a huge hog of propane, in my experience, so if you can get by without running it all day for the AC that would be good.

We have found the best prices for propane at places like AmeriGas.

Maggie
Old 02-27-2017, 09:05 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
While the propane gauge is not very accurate due to pressure variations caused by temperature fluctuations, I doubt if it says 1/3 that it is anywhere close to full.

The chassis A/C can keep the van cool up to outdoor temps in the 80s, after that you'll need the rear A/C and depending on how many bodies are back there, once you get to the mid-90s, the rear temp. will rise. The rear A/C is only about a one ton unit which is smaller than most residential window units. The chassis A/C is probably in the 6-7 ton range. I suspended two 9" fans under the cabinet over the galley to circulate cool air from the front to the rear which helped but it was still warm in the rear. We did have seven folks in the van tho.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:26 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I'm in AZ and it gets REALLY hot here!
I have found that if I use the chassis AC on full and don't use the recirculation button, but in addition have the extreme rear tip-out windows open, then cool air does pass from the cab towards the rear and out those open windows.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:30 PM   #30
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Thanks UKDUDE! That reminds me of another question I had, which I think you just answered, and that was whether the tip out rear windows were designed to be open while driving. Sounds like they are okay open? Same question with the fantastic fan vent. I think I saw somewhere that it was NOT designed to be open while driving.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #31
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Fantastic fan vents

On trailers, we were advised by Fantastic that driving with the vent full open is OK, but not to drive with it partially open.

I have many miles on my Classic with both vents full open.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:24 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
The tip-out windows and the overhead fan can be open while driving. But if you want cooled air to pass through to the rear sofa area, then only have the rear tip-out windows open.
Incidentally, when parked in the sun, always try to face North if you have the option. The reason being that the windows in the cab area are the worst for letting the sun heat up the interior.
And while parked, of course have the overhead fan fully open to let out the heat!
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:16 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
Thanks to you both. I will be very happy if the sprinter A/C can keep up and avoid having to run the generator for hours while cruising. I'm guessing the gauge - which is reading 1/3 of a tank (2/3 used) - is wrong or that the tank wasn't delivered full.
In my experience the Sprinter AC will keep the van cool until you stop somewhere for lunch and everything heats up and is hard to cool back down.

Don't leave your recirc button on full time either. Your AC will freeze up and won't work again until it thaws back out. Been there.

If you drive with your generator on check to make sure that your mudflap isn't blowing into the generator tailpipe and starting to melt. Mine did, so I bought a piece of flat angle that looks like a carpenters square and bolted on the tailpipe clamp. Holds the mudflap from blowing back into the TP.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:46 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
Don't leave your recirc button on full time either. Your AC will freeze up and won't work again until it thaws back out. Been there.
That shouldn't happen on the MB Sprinter as it automatically switches the Recirc off after 30 minutes like clockwork.

I don't know about MB but some mfgs allow about 10% outside air in even on Recirc to prevent oxygen depletion.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:40 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
That shouldn't happen on the MB Sprinter as it automatically switches the Recirc off after 30 minutes like clockwork.

I don't know about MB but some mfgs allow about 10% outside air in even on Recirc to prevent oxygen depletion.
Well then my AC is Broke Lol. It did happen, once in North Carolina
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:46 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
1. We didn't use much water, and only liquid went into the toilet. I did put in the black tank treatment. Is there a rush to empty it or no big deal if not emptied for a few weeks while it sits until our next trip? I use treatment each time I dump. I dump grey water at about or above 2/3 and the same for black water.

2. When emptying, do you leave the black valve open when you empty the grey tank? If only liquid in the tank do I need to operate the macerator pump at all or will it drain simply by opening the valves? Close the black before you do the grey.

3. We live in Memphis area and the 15 day forecast shows no signs of overnight freezing temperatures so I'm not going to winterize it right now. Just found an indoor storage place where it will be stored in an unheated garage. I'll keep watching the forecast, but realistically how cold do you think it would need to get before I'd have to worry? I'm thinking 32 degrees wouldn't necessarily mean a problem? Also, is there any issue leaving the water in the fresh water tank for a few weeks... how long before you think it would be "stale"? We don't drink from RV water system FYI. I live in Southaven and have a garage, even though I did a winterize in December I put a pail of water in the garage to check when it froze, it got down to 24degrees before it froze.

4. In two trips we have put about 1500 miles on it. It looks like the DEF level is at about 50% from the electronic gauge. Is there any issue with adding DEF now just to top it off? How much does it hold? Never owned a diesel before.

5. Just curious, how long will the fridge run off the battery before you need to worry about re-charging? Does solar panel provide enough juice for the fridge? Stock batteries on my 2015 only ran about 9 hours. Stock solar did nothing to keep the juice up.
See my replies above.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:06 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
In my experience the Sprinter AC will keep the van cool until you stop somewhere for lunch and everything heats up and is hard to cool back down.

If you drive with your generator on check to make sure that your mudflap isn't blowing into the generator tailpipe and starting to melt. Mine did, so I bought a piece of flat angle that looks like a carpenters square and bolted on the tailpipe clamp. Holds the mudflap from blowing back into the TP.

The AC can freeze up even without recirculation selected if you are in very hot humid climate. Been there too.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Well then my AC is Broke Lol. It did happen, once in North Carolina
Another thing that can cause evap freeze up is low freon (R134a).