Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2024, 04:43 PM   #1

Scottsdale , AZ
Question Newbie advice - Interstate 19X

My husband and I have been thinking about buying an RV or trailer for some time now and finally settled on a Interstate 19X AWD with E1. We have not purchased it yet but we both feel it is right for us.

We have never owned and RV before and I am seeking info on any expenses or other concerns we may not be thinking of. It is a pricey piece. Our HOA will not allow parking in our driveway so I know we need to secure storage and insurance. Does anyone have any advice for storing the motorhome?

Feeling very excited but also kind of scared on taking on the expense(s).

Please also share any positive experience you wish.
glimmrmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 05:34 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Browns Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by glimmrmoon View Post
My husband and I have been thinking about buying an RV or trailer for some time now and finally settled on a Interstate 19X AWD with E1. We have not purchased it yet but we both feel it is right for us.

We have never owned and RV before and I am seeking info on any expenses or other concerns we may not be thinking of. It is a pricey piece. Our HOA will not allow parking in our driveway so I know we need to secure storage and insurance. Does anyone have any advice for storing the motorhome?

Gratz on your pending new RV!

My wife and I have a 2023 I19 4x4 that we purchased last year (it's not an E1). If you're like us, you'll end up spending a small fortune on upgrades from little things like wireless phone chargers, a nicer toilet, teak shower mat, and quieter water pump, to bigger items like a spare tire and Starlink internet.

Think of all the things you might want to take with you. In addition to Starlink internet, we take a couple of Kermit chairs & table, a propane firepit, a large heavy duty ground cover for under the awning and most importantly a french press for coffee

It's amazing how much stuff you end up buying!

Also (unless you are very lucky), be prepared to take your new rig back to the dealer a couple of times in the first year to fix various issues that will be under warranty. Plan to take a few short trips somewhere nearby to learn how your rig works, to work out the bugs and identify things that need to be repaired.

I can't help you with storing your rig, We just left an HOA environment in SoCal and moved out to the wilderness. Our rig is parked inside a workshop next to our backhoe If you can afford covered storage, that would be great, but I would think that even outside with a cover should be sufficient.

Last thought: There are several threads talking about the E1 option and people's experience with it. You might want to review those threads so you have better expectations on what the E1 system might be like.
JimMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I don’t want to discourage your dreams, but if you have never owned an RV my advice would be to buy a few year old used van, like the Airstream Interstate 19. Try it for a year or two to see if you will enjoy the RV life style. Then use the older van to buy a new one if you enjoy it. Of course I don’t know your life situation - if the price of a new Interstate 19X is within you budget - go for it, life is short.

I started with a new Dodge van DIY conversion in 1973, then a used 1970 Airstream trailer, then a 2013 Airstream Interstate 24 Lounge and last year a 2024 Interstate 19 with the E-1 package. I haven’t used the Volta battery system enough yet to give you a solid option. I did have to have to Volta system repaired already under warranty. Good luck!
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 02:27 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2024 Interstate 19X
Tomball , TX
We have the 2024 19X and love it.
Blinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 07:49 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Plant City , Sunshine State on the west coast.
I'm a long-time RV'er and camper. the advice you were provided by Boxster1971 was the best posted above. I'm new to this forum and with anything NEW start small until you can both wrap your heads around the whole system. You have to start by learning to drive a van, change the tire all the basics, then all the inside systems Holding tank, Winterizing, Firefly, and keeping up with maintenance issues. Heating, A/C. Hey, do you know this is a small house on wheels? Truly Boxster1971 gave you both some sound advice.
Dusty Trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 02:56 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
Agreed with Boxster
Lots of good reasons to buy new
lots of good reasons to buy used.
. We used our neighbors Sprinter for about a year and understood the things that we liked and didn’t like about his GT model.

We purchased a three-year-old AI (6000 miles) and this was our best choice at about half the price. Which meant we still had another finances to install what we valued. in three months time of spring we have spent over 20 nights and 7000 miles of travel.

I think there’s lots of pros and cons to the electric model. We’ve been in one of those, compared to a model with a full generator as opposed to the engine alternator system. ( damn the generator is loud in a 2021)

It’s also personal, so there’s no wrong decision. You will love whatever your decision is and you will be happy, but there will be dealer returns gremlins, and associated changes.
Old 05-05-2024, 04:36 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
Quote:

-------------
At the risk of sounding a bit corny are you ready for some fun, excitement, challenges, meeting new people, and learning lots of new things? We are very glad we gave RV ownership a try but more than once in the beginning we wondered what were we thinking
We debated the new or start safe with a used unit question and even though we never actually came to a final decision we eventually ended up buying new. With a new rig it took a good part of the first two years to get all the bugs worked out and about the same amount of time to gain some level of confidence in our skills. It's all an adventure, even the unexpected.
Gently used fairly new AI-19s are listed for sale. Not sure I would go for a used 19x if I saw one. They haven't been out very long.
Owning a van can be expensive, even very expensive. Suggest that you find satisfactory storage and get a quote on insurance before purchase. Covered with electrical would be my choice.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 11:45 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Mustang , Oklahoma
Quote:

If you are set to buy new, I would look at the inventory of some of the larger Airstream dealers. There is a point during the year where the new year models come out and the dealers are authorized to offer significant discounts on new units from the now previous model year. This usually occurs in June/July. In 2023, new 2023 Interstates were selling for less than used 2023 ones. There were only a few in the entire US, so you have to be quick with your deposit and willing to travel to get the unit. There seems to be more inventory this year, so there may be more units to discount when the new models come out. Besides that, while AI's hold their value, there is always the initial depreciation that I would always allow someone else to absorb, so I would look for the practically new used units that are out there.
dsc789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 02:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I stored for several years due to HOA. Then moved where I can keep my interstate on my property. Never going back to HOA. Here's a few issues:

You already know you can't park it in driveway but what are you allowed for loading and unloading? I had a neighbor that called and complained within 15 minutes of me bringing it home. I was allowed 48 hours to load and unload and you need that. You need the first 24 to make sure everything is working and to get your fridge and freezer cold. To unload, it has to defrost so you can clean out all the moisture for storage. I had to notify the HOA and have them email a permit to put on my dash while parked at home. They were not "difficult" like the neighbor, but it was still a PITA. I also brought it home for a day to wash it.

The Mercedes chassis battery is not great. When you store and lock it, you need to either...disconnect the chassis battery and manually lock or don't disconnect and go start the engine each week. I did not have electric access. If you have electric access and can keep it plugged in, then you are good. Just make sure you use a surge protector or bring it home for storms. I was coastal (hurricanes) and I brought it home for that. I worried I wouldn't be able to get to it if we had a significant storm. The neighbor didn't complain because they left during storms. Try to find a place close to your home, even if it's a little more expensive. It's not unusual for your rig to be one of the most expensive in the lot. I think they all have cameras now, but it's still a hassle if it's vandalized or damaged on the storage property.

Wasps can get inside the small Crack where the front doors hinge. If you store, open the door and look at the door hinge area before getting in or you might end up with wasps inside the cabin....not good.

Birds can nest in the air conditioner if stored outside. I've tied streamers to the holes in the cover and had to tape the area to keep them out. If they nest...it's a mess. You have to get up to the roof, remove the cover and clean it all out.

Overall, I'm happy with the Interstate. It's easy to maneuver and takes minutes to get set up and take down. I'm not happy with the way Mercedes and Airstream interact. There are things that come up that is "Airstream problem " or "Mercedes problem" and its not always obvious so you get a run around. Even if you are "handy" and can fix a lot of stuff, the spaces to work in in the Interstate are small. It can be difficult and challenging.

If you are going to boondock, it's easy to settle in to legal spots. My favorite is cracker barrel because it's generally quiet after they close. Loves truck stop let's me park in their regular lot instead of with all the trucks. It's still quite busy, but at least I'm not with the trucks. Walmart is hit or miss. They used to be open all night but since Covid, most close. But it seems there is still a lot of activity and some not good after hours. At least in the Interstate, you just get in your seat and drive off if things aren't looking good.

Although I could rave about how wonderful Airstreamers are ( they are!), most Campers are pretty friendly and willing to help if you get into a bind.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote