Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2019, 11:22 AM   #21
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
My Mercedes dealer agrees with me. No rotations. Keep them in alignment and balance and replace the fronts when they become worn before the rears.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:30 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
escondido , California
New Tires

Yes, Discount Tires know they have to dismount/mount 6 tires for proper rotation. Pagaska. Please expand on reason for not rotating
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:07 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

escondido , California
Oops

Sorry Pahaska
Old 03-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #24
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Mercedes dealer staff agree with me that more damage is done discounting and remounting tires than is avoided by rotation. I saw no bad effects by not rotating my tires. All wear was even.

I did have alignment and road force balance on all tires.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:49 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Madison , WISCONSIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Mercedes dealer staff agree with me that more damage is done discounting and remounting tires than is avoided by rotation. I saw no bad effects by not rotating my tires. All wear was even.

I did have alignment and road force balance on all tires.
I heard the same thing from my Sprinter repair shop (in a MB dealership). I had gotten mine with 9,000 on it. Tires looked great. I had them get it aligned and they rebalance the tires when they installed the metal valve stems and tire pressure monitors.

Big long trip coming up this summer (Wisconsin to Alaska and back). It will be good to see how everything looks after that.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:30 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I now have 20,000 miles on my Michelins. Even wear with 75 psi and no tire rotation. Alignment was checked when I got new tires and only needed a slight adjustment to toe-in.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:33 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
I now have over 70,000 miles on Michelin tires installed at 40,000 mile service. There were balanced and aligned - wearing evenly. Now starting to crack from age. So Iíll replace them in the fall. They still have reasonable tread life, but are nearly six years old based on date codes.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:50 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I'd be happy to get anywhere close to 70,000 miles...
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Just to add....my Mercedes dealer also recommended against rotating the tires. The cost of dismounting and remounting, and balancing just didnít make economic sense for 6 tires on the Sprinter. Just watch inflation and alignment.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:45 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
+1 on the Michelin LTX choice. Got rid of the Contis at 15k. Had one of the rears loosing air and could not locate leak source after dunk-tanking and dismounting/mounting multiple times. Yes, I checked the valve and stem. The handling seemed a bit squirrelly. We purchased the LTXs at Discount Tire. Price, service, attitude and attention to detail, They go to 11.(Nigel Tufnel). Discount Tire sends you reminders about tire pressure checks and rotate and balance checks. We have had no necessity to rotate the tires. The wear patterns are even on all tires. An alignment was performed with fresh water tank and fuel tank full. Holding tanks were empty. I did not go to the extreme of putting 150-200 lbs in the front seats. No gear was on board. I run all tires at 65-70psi. Bilstein shocks are on all 4 corners. Ride and handling are what they should be. We are happy with the tires and the installer.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:02 PM   #31
Land of Oz

1970 25' Tradewind
Pittsfield Twp , Michigan
LTX on tow vehicle AND trailer, finally replacing trailer tires after 10 yes (stored indoors for winter), never any problems. Will buy again. Latest TV set are LTX Defender, good ride and very good in snow (when the airstream is waiting for spring)
wizardglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:11 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I now have over 70,000 miles on Michelin tires installed at 40,000 mile service. There were balanced and aligned - wearing evenly. Now starting to crack from age. So Iíll replace them in the fall. They still have reasonable tread life, but are nearly six years old based on date codes.

I should have added that Iíve never rotated my tires.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:15 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

escondido , California
The latest information I am getting from Michelin is that the Defender LTX M/S in 215/85 R16 has been discontinued as of last month. You can't find this size listed on Michelin's, Tire Rack or Discount Tire web sites but it is still available. The big question now is, if you have a failure in the future will you be able to get a replacement. I was ready to pull the trigger on these but now must review again. I want a nice ride. The Contis were a bit noisy and have heard that the Michelins are quieter. Other options (at lower price points) indicate noise is a 3 out of 5. Drat.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:58 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

escondido , California
I decided to go the the Defenders even though they are being phased out in this size. Hopefully, I will not have any issues with replacement for many miles. I installed the valve extensions DL1SP. Initial impressions are positive. I had the work done at Discount Tire and had to coach them on the installation of the valve stems using the rubber stem holder. They did not want to do it but eventually relented when I took responsibility. They also removed the lug nut covers but could not get them to stay on. Any tricks to this? My limited search does not reveal anything. There are three dimples on each cover that should cause an interference fit to hold them on but none of them will stay on.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilly43 View Post
... They also removed the lug nut covers but could not get them to stay on. Any tricks to this? My limited search does not reveal anything. There are three dimples on each cover that should cause an interference fit to hold them on but none of them will stay on.
Just squeeze the sides of the covers with a pliers to make them fit tight. Worked for me.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:57 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
When a ham handed tech uses standard pliers to remove your lug nut covers, they distort and won't fit snug any longer. The replacements are darn expensive:
https://amzn.to/2wcTGvG

so I keep a set of proper pliers handy if my wheel(s) ever need to be removed again: https://amzn.to/2Hv74Se

Cheers,
Mark
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:13 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I found that by placing one layer of masking tape on 3 of the 6 lug flats was sufficient to retain the lug covers. YMMV

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:57 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
I had the work done at Discount Tire ......... They also removed the lug nut covers but could not get them to stay on. Any tricks to this?

I bought new Michelins in December at Discount tire and even though I told the Mgr beforehand about needing to remove the lug nut covers manually, word didn't get to the crew.

While the Mgr and I were trying to see if any of the covers would fit (they did not), I noticed that they had also scratched some chrome off of both front rims with their tools used to dis/mount the new tires. At first he said that those were probably already there but fortunately I had taken cell phone pictures of each wheel before my appointment and showed him same.

Somewhere someone suggested taking before pix because some tire shops have employees that are in a hurry to get things done and don't know how to take care of chrome rims!

So the Mgr had me order new lug nut covers and then reimbursed me for them when I came back to get my new chrome front rims mounted.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:20 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Bennington , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Mixing tires creates problems and is not recommended as it affects handling.due to sidewall flex differential and rebound rate.Changing tire sizes to a smaller tire in front end applications is definitely not recommended especially and becomes even more complicated if are smaller in overall diameter.
Permit me to differ; on a performance car, agreed, on a Sprinter van?

Tires with equal load capacity, thread design etc. would not compromise driving behavior, safety and comfort on a vehicle such as the MB sprinter.

If the front end is not perfectly aligned, camber around zero degrees, tires properly balanced, we see additional wear as compared to the rear tires. Even a slight unbalance will start cupping the tire. Unfortunately awareness comes only with visibility.

The probability of the front tires wearing out faster than the rear tires is better than 50% IMHO, hence need for front tires only. An argument to be made about tire rotation and my front alignment guy tells me every 5,000 miles(!)

Theoretically you can cross the front wheels with the rear outer wheels. However, in practicality it does not work because brake dust ruins the surface of the aluminum wheels and destroys the shine.

So in reality for a tire rotation at least four tires would have to come off the rim and be re-balanced. My guess is that would set you back by $150 to $180.

My theory; no rotation, change the front tires when it becomes necessary. Case in point, we have some 40,000 miles on four rears (Defender LTX) and some 18,000 miles on two front tires, Kumho Crugen HT-51 (new price as low as $112). The HT-51 and the Defender LTX side by side, you could no tell the difference, except for the name.

Front alignment is checked, camber at zero. We did have a slight steering vibration recently, which turned out to be the right front tire not being balanced 100%. Otherwise, HT-51's is not top tier, though seem to hold up very well, rated 720 A/A, 70k mile warranty, check specs at tirerack.

Michelin tires are an impeccable brand, though there are other choices serving the purpose.
Sailfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailfast View Post
Permit me to differ; on a performance car, agreed, on a Sprinter van?

Tires with equal load capacity, thread design etc. would not compromise driving behavior, safety and comfort on a vehicle such as the MB sprinter.

If the front end is not perfectly aligned, camber around zero degrees, tires properly balanced, we see additional wear as compared to the rear tires. Even a slight unbalance will start cupping the tire. Unfortunately awareness comes only with visibility.

The probability of the front tires wearing out faster than the rear tires is better than 50% IMHO, hence need for front tires only. An argument to be made about tire rotation and my front alignment guy tells me every 5,000 miles(!)

Theoretically you can cross the front wheels with the rear outer wheels. However, in practicality it does not work because brake dust ruins the surface of the aluminum wheels and destroys the shine.

So in reality for a tire rotation at least four tires would have to come off the rim and be re-balanced. My guess is that would set you back by $150 to $180.

My theory; no rotation, change the front tires when it becomes necessary. Case in point, we have some 40,000 miles on four rears (Defender LTX) and some 18,000 miles on two front tires, Kumho Crugen HT-51 (new price as low as $112). The HT-51 and the Defender LTX side by side, you could no tell the difference, except for the name.

Front alignment is checked, camber at zero. We did have a slight steering vibration recently, which turned out to be the right front tire not being balanced 100%. Otherwise, HT-51's is not top tier, though seem to hold up very well, rated 720 A/A, 70k mile warranty, check specs at tirerack.

Michelin tires are an impeccable brand, though there are other choices serving the purpose.
Boy, are you asking for it! I am waiting for the "real experts" here to help guide you back to reality when it comes to the tires. I would never mix brands unless emergency forced; nor would I mix older with newer on changing out 4 tires, including not installing my spare. Also, always believe in rotating regularly with balance, along with TPMS to insure proper pressure. I also believe in checking alignment regularly on my TV...

By the way, Costco has the $130.00 discount on again if you use their credit card...good deal that some "other" discount tire dealers sometimes will match...I got my Michelins in December for my F250 TV with this deal...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote