Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: What do you think of the Airstream Model X?
Love it! 15 37.50%
Hate it! 3 7.50%
I expected something different from Airstream 4 10.00%
I don't know what to think 18 45.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2021, 02:15 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The grey tank seems to be about twice the holding capacity of the black, which is the reverse of what at least our older vehicles have.

I didn’t watch the video all the way thru, but noticed Patrick flipping things open and shut, up and down, back and forth, etc., and I hope that in actuality those they sell are constructed as well as this video represents.

Not for me, but I’m sure there will be buyers out there.

Maggie
Old 06-10-2021, 02:24 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
2021 Interstate 24GL
Searsmont , Maine
In addition to what others have stated, I really like the fact they made the rear screen Manual, the shades manual, and deleted some of the storage doors. I also like the flooring. Basic, easy to clean, less stuff to break. The hydronic system, with the ability to add more solar, with a quiet generator, should really extend the boondocking ability, although Black capacity will most likely still be the limiting factor. I too am concerned with the macerator, and the seating in back is functional, but most likely dangerous for passengers but oh well, this is their first shot. I am curious about the cold weather capabilities. In regards to Lily's statement, I agree, it is ugly. But functional. I think they will improve the looks later! Since I just spent my kids inheritance on a 2021 interstate, there will be a few revisions before I am in the market anyways!
Sawmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 02:27 PM   #43
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Love airstream. Love this design. I think they nailed it. I like the enclosed wet bath / shower. Price point is difficult to get my head around though.

Unfortunately for $214k I would probably buy a Storeyteller Overland Mode Sprinter for $154 and then tow a 16' basecamp X behind... and have have $$ to spare.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 02:32 PM   #44
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
The grey tank seems to be about twice the holding capacity of the black, which is the reverse of what at least our older vehicles have.

I didn’t watch the video all the way thru, but noticed Patrick flipping things open and shut, up and down, back and forth, etc., and I hope that in actuality those they sell are constructed as well as this video represents.

Not for me, but I’m sure there will be buyers out there.

Maggie
Hi

Fresh / gray / black tanks are all in line with what the more recent Interstates have on them. I agree that the black tank seems a bit small. There don't seem to be a lot of folks complaining though .....

I spent the afternoon poking around the van Patrick filmed. There are a few thing on it (solid bench back cushions) that are not representative of what will be on the production models.

The curtains are "interesting". Without heading off for a few nights, it's hard to be sure of how well they work.

Once you get out of the back, it's very much a GT. They moved / changed the microwave. They put nets in place of the middle drawers in the kitchen area. Based on our measurements:

The biggest net space will handle any toaster oven Breville makes ( I am a fan of their toaster ovens). Their super duper pro air fryer version would be a bit tight. The rest have lots of room.

The smallest net space will handle any Instant Pot out there (3,6,8 quart). That's not to say you need an 8 quart in this sized vehicle.

Fun !!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 02:59 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Love airstream. Love this design. I think they nailed it. I like the enclosed wet bath / shower. Price point is difficult to get my head around though.

Unfortunately for $214k I would probably buy a Storeyteller Overland Mode Sprinter for $154 and then tow a 16' basecamp X behind... and have have $$ to spare.
+1 (emphasis mine). I don't know where they imagine that value-add resides. There will continue to be solid SOB versions of this concept out there for closer to $100k.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:54 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
My first thought... it's gorgeous!

. . . More later - gotta work right now.
I agree - makes me think I might buy another big Interstate, even though that was not my plan for future.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:57 PM   #47
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Well, they have sold at least one of them ....

Bob
Old 06-10-2021, 04:56 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
If you want the option of not always having to be near a dump station theyre a great option. Love love love it for boondocking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

One thing the overland folks seem to be in love with are cassette toilets. I don't see an obvious "exit door" for a cassette on this MH.

Bob
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:59 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Agreed. Save 100 grand and avoid the big name plate price. For me I want basic. Easy to maintain. Easy to use. The gizmos and electronics are a net negative for me. My 60s unit will last another 50 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
+1 (emphasis mine). I don't know where they imagine that value-add resides. There will continue to be solid SOB versions of this concept out there for closer to $100k.
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:52 PM   #50
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
After all, that is Thor's primary corporate purpose . . .

Not to start a fight but aren't profits what all for profit corporations expect?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:06 PM   #51
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The Xantrex unit in the back is a Freedom XC 2000. It's a 2KW sine inverter plus an 80A converter / charger.

https://www.xantrex.com/power-produc...reedom-xc.aspx

I believe the Magnum 1KW had a 50A converter / charger built into it. Net result would be 2.5 hours charge time (on shore power, empty to full, 100A lithiums) with the Xantrex vs 4 hours to do the same with the Magnum.

Indeed if either one of them is programmed wrong, the real answer to "how long?" is "forever ...." .... ( = there's a recall out to reprogram the Magnum's ....).

Nothing in either the spec sheet or the owners manual on the 2KW in terms of parasitic drain when off or zero AC load power input. Who knows what that means ....

Bob
Old 06-11-2021, 05:19 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Yep, it’s been apparent for years that Airstream mines these forums for ideas.

And why not, really, tho the polite thing to do would be to give credit where credit is due.

Maggie
Where credit is due:

The most fascinating marketing choice for me is that Airstream used my parking pad concept for their debut photo spread. For those reading this thread who don't know our history, I created a private road and parking pad specifically for our Interstate on a wilderness property I own in Canada. It's the main setting that I've featured on social media over the past couple of years.

I have not seen any other influencer emphasize this kind of perspective (see the thread Buying your own boondocking land), and it's an unconventional messaging choice for Airstream. Typically, automakers showcase their new models against some stunning vista that amplifies their design. Oceanfront, mountain ranges, etc. The focus is on WHERE THE VEHICLE can take you (emphasis on vehicle). With the X, the focus remains on the location you access in order to THEN STRIKE OUT ON YOUR OWN (emphasis on self-empowerment). Indeed, the petite somewhat unkempt female model chosen for the spread is all about self-empowerment (said the empowered unkempt female Air Forums poster). It's not about glamping - it's a complete reversal for Airstream.

The setting is just a tidy wilderness gravel parking space, which is exactly what mine is. Thematically it works because it excludes every other person and vehicle except the Interstate X, and hints at the possibilities that lie beyond. Whereas shooting a photo sequence in (e.g.) Yellowstone would have served to remind everyone that there are always 3 million other people in Yellowstone, blah.

My Interstate RS vs. their Interstate X:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:50 AM   #53
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
There are several things about this model that I like (especially not having those terrible awful no-good electric window shades). As usual, there are things that disappoint, including batteries and inverter, macerator instead of gravity dump, and of course the price tag. Definitely worth a look, will keep an eye open for them on the used market a few years down the road when I'd be able to pick one up at a more reasonable cost and then turn it into what it should have been from the beginning. [emoji57]

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:10 AM   #54
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
There are several things about this model that I like (especially not having those terrible awful no-good electric window shades). As usual, there are things that disappoint, including batteries and inverter, macerator instead of gravity dump, and of course the price tag. Definitely worth a look, will keep an eye open for them on the used market a few years down the road when I'd be able to pick one up at a more reasonable cost and then turn it into what it should have been from the beginning. [emoji57]
Hi

The batteries are in back (again). There are cubbies under the back seats that might well be big enough for a couple more batteries. Tacking them on should not be to crazy if they fit.

The inverter is pretty well buried in there. I have no experience with Xantrex so no real idea there. Fitting a Multi Plus 3000 in the same space ... maybe. You would have to pull the seat assembly to really tell. (Not something they let you do on the unit in the showroom ...). The other issue would be the control head up in the front of the MH. They never seem to use the same set of wires .....

The toilet (and the black tank size) is indeed a gotcha. I see no quick / easy fix there.

One wonders a bit about the lack of a spare tire on a "back woods" vehicle.

Real price is something we'll only know 6 months from now. I haven't seen a formal announcement of 2022 prices for the other Interstates. No way yet to even compare MSRP's between them. Right now, it's a sellers market on the X.

Bob
Old 06-11-2021, 08:27 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The location for the Interstate X photo shoot actually looks like it could be a nice federal campsite of some sort, somewhere.

No electric post in sight, and you can see the timbers marking the passenger side and rear of the site.

I have been in campgrounds all around the country with exactly these kinds of sites.

I wonder what the intention is for the mesh storage areas…perhaps towels, pillows, etc?

You wouldn’t want to carry anything too heavy in these, lest the item bounce out and also stretch the mesh.

My Interstate has narrow, recessed, mesh enclosed storage areas along both sides in the back, probably 3’ long, each.

I have a small afghan in one, purely decorative , and keep a few small things in the other.

Maggie
Old 06-11-2021, 08:56 AM   #56
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
The location for the Interstate X photo shoot actually looks like it could be a nice federal campsite of some sort, somewhere.

No electric post in sight, and you can see the timbers marking the passenger side and rear of the site.

I have been in campgrounds all around the country with exactly these kinds of sites.

I wonder what the intention is for the mesh storage areas…perhaps towels, pillows, etc?

You wouldn’t want to carry anything too heavy in these, lest the item bounce out and also stretch the mesh.

My Interstate has narrow, recessed, mesh enclosed storage areas along both sides in the back, probably 3’ long, each.

I have a small afghan in one, purely decorative , and keep a few small things in the other.

Maggie
Hi

The mesh areas in the back have a pretty sturdy metal rack under them. They also have sturdy straps to the ceiling. How much weight will they hold? Unclear at this point.

Looking at them, I would not have any problem tossing fully loaded duffle bags up there. You certainly aren't going to put your pencil collection up there without some sort of bag around it.

Compared to the bin system on the 24 GT, you probably can put more up in the mesh gizmos as in the side bins. The giant end bin on the GT .... not so clear. If you are tall (I'm 6'4") that bed arrangement is *very* nice. Because you have more "bed space", that has to come from somewhere.

Since the back racks all tie into the latch system, pulling them out and replacing them with a DIY this or that would be pretty easy. I get the idea that's what they expect folks to do. What those latch tracks are rated to ... again unclear. They look pretty beefy.

Bob
Old 06-11-2021, 09:50 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Don’t most of these adventure vans, especially ones with racks on the roof, have ladders to put stuff up there? In fact don’t some even have a movable ladder? There isn’t one and Patrick doesn’t mention an option.
Rich
Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:15 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
No, no ladder, and I believe that most of us do not store items on our roofs.

I really think the rack purpose is to provide some protection to the AC.

And we are not “adventure vans”, we are Interstates.

Maggie
Old 06-11-2021, 10:28 AM   #59
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is no ladder option on the X. The gotcha is that there is no "Mercedes approved" ladder out there. Yes, you see a lot of ladders on various Sprinter builds. Apparently none of them have the factory seal of approval.

Unless they have done something serious to the roof, I'd bet it's not set up for walking on. There are a lot of RV's with this sort of issue. Being able to support the "all on one foot" weight of a full sized person requires quite a bit of structure. Many RV's drop the ladder because the roof is not very strong.

Which is it in this case ... maybe both.... who know .....

The yack yack yack from here and there suggests putting your kayaks up there .... good luck ....

You are already at 10' high. Toss another 2 or 3 feet on top of that and watch out for the low bridge .... tree limb ... power line ...

Bob
Old 06-11-2021, 01:45 PM   #60
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The 2021 24' GT comes in at 9694 lb of UBW.

The 2022 X comes in at 9545 lb.

You can stuff 149 pounds more into the X.

That's roughly 191 more cans of beer ....

Bob